Spiders (and other Arachnids)

Real Name
Roddy
A very young female Saitis barbipes came up to the kitchen today from the vegetable patch. I did not notice her until I was just about to wash the pumpkin. About 3mm in length. I left the highlights in her eyes deliberately.....

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Real Name
Roddy
One of the resident Zoropsis spinimanas from our garden, hanging upside down under the garden table (photo spun through 180˚). We find a lot of these stunning ground spiders in the house now as the weather cools, and they are great housekeepers. One of them killed a young rat recently, putting the cats to shame. This one is a pugnacious male, about 2" across, hopeful of finding a girlfriend before winter freezes the bits off him.

P1340643_HDR.jpeg

(some of the above may not be entirely true; I was just checking you were awake...:))

Real Name
Roddy
Incidentally, the photo above would never have been possible without a FAS screen. While I appreciate the viewpoints of those who prefer a simpler tilting screen, macro is one case scenario where a FAS screen is essential to some shots. I'm not trying to start a flame war.....just saying there are case situations for both types of screen :)

Panolyman

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Brian
I'm wondering if any of our resident Arachnophiles could identify these creatures I found lurking on top of the bus stop in the middle of town.
They were all a good 30cm across and were frightening the living daylights out of any prospective passengers.
I think they may all be of the same species, with just slight colour variations.

2011-22-EM10:3-14:42.jpg
2011-23-EM10:3-14:42.jpg
2011-24-EM10:3-14:42.jpg

This group were hanging on the railings of the old Shire Hall building but didn't seem to be having the same effect.

2011-17-EM10:3-14:42.jpg

Sorry, it's a bit late for Halloween but I couldn't resist posting these samples of "yarn bombing" some of the local crafts-people have decorated the town with in an effort to liven the place up. Hope I didn't frighten too many of you.......................................

2011-15-EM10:3-14:42.jpg

Real Name
Roddy
My big girl from August 23 (if you fancy going back to look) has done little else since I last took a portrait of her but grow fatter in her outside corner of the kitchen window, and lose a leg in return. I assume sometime along the way she met a gallant suitor who has increased her size fourfold, as she is now close to the biggest Araneus diadematus I have seen here. her abdomen is now about the size of my fourth finger nail. I'm very grateful to her for all the mosquitos she has eaten :)

Alas, she will soon go and find a suitable situation to lay her eggs in, and then, thin and wasted, she will crawl away into a dark corner and die. Such is the life of 99% of Europe's garden spiders. The 1% that hibernate and see out the winter invariably feed the young of the first blue tits to hatch!

P1340913_HDR2.jpeg

A recently evicted tenant of my basement. SWMBO has a prejudice against animals with 8 legs, so out came the relocation device (cordless vacuum).

50644989528_0a5142799c_o.jpg
M1026351-1 by Harvey Richards, on Flickr

I mainly use the vac for insects or spiders, it has a long crevice tool on it, so I can reach the ceiling and high up on walls. Some bugs are incredibly fast and hard to contain if I am standing on a stool. I also use a clear or semi-clear container and stiff paper to catch other intruders. I have caught a couple of hummingbirds with this method. I also use this method to catch moths which I will toss into a spider web if there is one available (outside of course).

D7k1

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I still have one orb weaver (on a window with old glass that bleeds heat) still sitting in the web daily (many bugs fly all year hear in the NW). Best year ever for my Orbs but my crab spiders seemed to be down in population. Giant house spiders seemed a lot more common. More false widows in the basement also.

I still have one orb weaver (on a window with old glass that bleeds heat) still sitting in the web daily (many bugs fly all year hear in the NW). Best year ever for my Orbs but my crab spiders seemed to be down in population. Giant house spiders seemed a lot more common. More false widows in the basement also.
I had one orb weaver this year, the first in 4 years. It was gone after the first frost. Lots of black widows, I relocate the ones where my pets are with my weed burner flame thrower. The crab spiders that I see are so small that I have to wear my Optivisor magnifiers to find them.

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Broddan

Mu-43 Veteran

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Real Name
John ...
Nice net casting spider. They date all the way back to Gondwanaland, apparently.

Here is a different one I found on our side window sill.

AllanG

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Allan
Pen F with 60mm

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom