Spiders (and other Arachnids)

danelkins

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Real Name
Roddy
I found my very first Icius subinernis today - a first for the garden and me! I must admit that jumping spiders are one group of beasties I am really looking forward to photographing with an Olympus 60mm, one day. I can only get so close with the P30 and then there is substantial cropping to be done, sigh :)

junkyardsparkle

haunted scrap heap
Well, that was a nice run of cute and elegant spiders...

g5187426-7453-zs.jpg

This is the first real attempt at a stack I've made in recent years... 28 shots manually bracketed over more than two minutes(!) with the front of the lens and my hands resting on the ground... I don't love it (lighting sucks and there's at least one visibly missing slice of focus) but I'm tickled that the subject actually held still that long ("I think she likes me!") and absolutely amazed at how well Zerene Stacker handled all those hairs with a less-than-ideal stack and zero effort on my part... I guess if there was ever a time to finally pay up and play around with it in earnest, this would be it... :rolleyes:

Was trying to photograph the dandelion and found this lurker .....

junkyardsparkle

haunted scrap heap
More scenes from the stucco jungle...

These ant-sized wall spiders are pretty bad-ass, but I'm going to assume this was an already-crashed honeybee.

11GTCS

Mu-43 Regular
A less desirable arachnid, the Lone Star Tick (Amblyomma americanum). Not a perfect focus stack, but that’s a tricky thing to nab on a breezy blade of grass

Real Name
Roddy
Another very tubby Xysticus spider from the garden. This girl is quite ready to pop, I expect, just as soon as she has found a nice dark place to do so! I wish the GX8 could do in-camera stacks on these occasions when the ladies like to pose.

(x-posted in the current Favourite Lens thread :))

Panolyman

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Brian
Suspended animation.
This little creature has apparently spun a fine web across the top of the Zantedeschia flower.
Not a particularly brilliant photo, but I was happy to catch the shadow.

Real Name
Ken
first attempt at a spider snap-----I better stick to dragons

Real Name
Roddy
A wee female Pseudeuophrys lanigera that did not hang around for very long on a piece of wood in the garden. I nearly always find these in the same sort of area - a mini population on a hard place in a sea of green.

P1230719 2_HDR.jpeg

Last edited:

susannemcom

Mu-43 Regular
Here's another cucumber spider that I came across the other day. Not great pictures because it was so hard to set the focus and I was so excited to have found a "new" (new to me) spider! :D

2june2020-araniellaspider-2.jpg
2june2020-araniellaspider.jpg

junkyardsparkle

haunted scrap heap
Finally managed a decent non-lateral portrait of the tiny feather-legged U. diversus (manual 39-stack)... I can die happy now... or with a shorter bucket list, anyway. :rolleyes:

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Finally managed a decent non-lateral portrait of the tiny feather-legged U. diversus (manual 39-stack)... I can die happy now... or with a shorter bucket list, anyway. :rolleyes:

View attachment 828867
How do you do stacks of spiders, using a tripod?
I know I cant imagine hand holding a stack or bracket with arms out stretched into the garden as they are never in easy spots.

junkyardsparkle

haunted scrap heap
How do you do stacks of spiders, using a tripod?
Yep, a very low, flattened, sturdy tabletop model in this case, cant get much more stable than that, which is pretty important wnen trying to bracket precisely with a rather stiff focus ring. I also have a little bellows-like camera mount I made, super simple, just holds the Raynox in a static position while allowing the camera to slide axially on it's QR plate... seems to result in less perspective shift (very little movement of the optical center) making for better stacking. Otherwise, at that distance, with a unit-focusing lens, you're basically doing focus-by-movement even if you use the helicoid. Anyway, credit goes to the model for picking an accessible spot for once, and then holding still (these tend to start shaking the web when disturbed if they have an egg sac nearby, or running away if they don't)... serious cooperation there. :D
I haven't the slightest idea of what kind of spider this is.
Looks like another Uloboridae... their meals tend to end up looking like that one, due to their somewhat unique method of feeding... they're really fascinating little critters, my favorite spiders, I would have to say.

Just for fun and illustrative purposes, here's the best-eye-focus shot from the stack... this is the kind of DOF most of my previous attempts have had. :rolleyes:

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom