1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Speeding up Windows 7 & CS

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Wasabi Bob, Oct 25, 2011.

1. Wasabi Bob

Wasabi Bob Mu-43 Top Veteran

I'm posting this in the Panasonic section. If the admins feel it's better suited for another group, please move it as you see fit - thanks.

Photoshop users quickly learn that you can never have enough system RAM. Even with 16 GB, when I create multiple layers and start using multiple plugins I occasionally run out of memory.

After talking with many people at a recent photo show I was surprised to see how many Windows 7 users don’t know about its Ready Boost feature. Using the “Ready Boost” you can assign an SD card or USB flash drive to act as additional RAM

This really makes a big difference when you start opening large files or work on multiple layers. Think of how much faster things can be with an additional 8 or 16 GB of memory.

I’ve included a link below that describes the procedure.
    Using memory in your storage device to speed up your computer

2. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
  3. Wasabi Bob

Wasabi Bob Mu-43 Top Veteran

I agree

No I'm not, but I've found this feature helpful when opening several layers and you start to open up a few plugins. Definitely not an optimum fix but certainly worth trying it.

4. Boyzo

Boyzo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2010
    Bob I run 8GIG ram and CS5 is Ok with what I do in layers 16GIG is pretty generous :)
    You could send the page file to a 2nd Physical drive which could help

5. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    I agree with this. First, if you're using 16GB of RAM with a RAW file, you're doing some pretty serious stuff. I'm thinking back to my digital imaging class in 2008, when we were using computers with 4GB of RAM, and our professor was a retoucher that worked for many magazines; he never had any trouble with such a pittance of RAM either. My aging 2006 desktop with 4GB of RAM, while not ideal, still runs just fine.

ReadyBoost is the same thing as sending the page file to a hard drive. It's not like your computer is using that SD card as RAM somehow. The ReadyBoost disk space doesn't act as more memory, it just takes your information that isn't being used as much, and sends it to an overflow file. As a simple example, let's say you have 8GB of RAM, and you have a pair of 5GB images. You open both, and start working on one. It takes the 5GB image that you aren't working on, and writes that RAM information to file, because you're trying to use 10GB of memory, but you only have 8GB.

If you are running an SSD as your boot disk, ReadyBoost is actually disabled, because it would be needlessly redundant. So, again, ReadyBoost is only really useful for lower end computers, where you don't have enough RAM to run what you want, and your hard drive has a high seek time.

6. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    Yeah, I'm not really a ReadyBoost fan either. This workstation runs 8 GB, which I swore would be enough at the time, but here I am burning through it with all kinds of craziness. Going past 16 GB is still going to be quite expensive though, so I would probably look to an SSD. (Oh, I already have one :biggrin:)