1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Speeding up Lightroom

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by dhazeghi, Oct 3, 2012.

1. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    I've been noticing that Lightroom requires around 5-6 seconds to render 1:1 previews for my 16MP RAW files (E-M5). That wouldn't be a problem in general, as rendering can be done as a batch job in the background, but the same sort of sluggishness is apparent in the Develop panel, where changing settings sometimes leads to pauses of up to 5 seconds.

My hardware is fairly powerful: 2.8GHZ Core i7 (4 cores), 6GB RAM, and most recently I've added an SSD. I've moved all my files over to the SSD, and I've tried disabling my presets in favor of the Adobe defaults, but neither has had much effect.

So I'm looking for ideas on how to speed up LR. Thanks,

DH

2. MAubrey

MAubrey Photographer

Jul 9, 2012
    Bellingham, WA
    Mike Aubrey
    Beyond simply replacing your processor to a newer one (I'm assuming you're not using the latest generation i7...), I'd say the best thing you could do is get more RAM. The good news on that front is that currently, RAM is quite cheap. If your motherboard can handle it, you can get 16GB for around $100. I'd say that you should at least get up to 8GB, but that should help.

And also avoid running other programs in the background.

3. dhazeghi

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    It's not a current generation Core i7 - it's an 860 (Nehalem).

I suppose I could add RAM, but I'm not sure how it could help - with a fresh catalog and 250 images, I'm seeing the same sort of lagging, and my system isn't even using a full 3GB of RAM, let alone the 6 I have.

I'm wondering if it's a software issue. OTOH I tried older Lightroom versions, albeit with different files (nothing old supports the E-M5), and I couldn't measure a real difference in import performance.

DH

4. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Hmm. I do find LR is sluggish to slow on my Macbook Air, but the older Mac Pro handles it just fine. It does have what qualifies as 'stupid quantities of RAM', though. More is definitely better.

5. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    Bite the bullet on import and create all your 1:1 previews as you import?

• Like Like x 1
  6. Spuff

Spuff Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    Berkshire, UK.
    I upped from 4gb to 8gb and it made no difference to the speed of LR, that I could notice, on my machine.
    The speed in fact was no different when my machine was only seeing 2gb on my W7 installation (it eventually saw all the 4gb after about 4 weeks for no apparent reason).

7. dhazeghi

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    That certainly helps for browsing. My chief complaint however isn't that import is slow - I can always do other things when it imports - it's that adjustments in the develop module become slow and stall out. I think the two are linked. But rendering the 1:1 previews in advance doesn't seem to help with the development.

DH

8. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    Have you installed that 4.2 update? I believe there are some performance fixes in it.

9. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    I found this on a Lightroom blog, about the 4.2 update:

10. dhazeghi

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Yes, running 4.2. I didn't do a before and after test, but any difference in performance is below my ability to detect - i.e. it still feels sluggish!

DH

11. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    I have the Core i7 860 with 8GB RAM, and LR4.2 is definitely not as snappy as LR3.6 was. I came across an article on a few LR settings to change and thus speed it up. It helped some, lag is not too terrible. I wish I could remember where I saw that article. Will post back if I can dig it up.

Edit: Found it! http://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/kb/optimize-performance-lightroom.html

IIRC, I concluded that upgrading my hardware wouldn't give me that much improvement. The Core i7 860 might not be the latest and greatest CPU, but it's good enough to render smooth video in 720p, so it's still pretty powerful. I did upgrade my video card not too long ago, and that made a slight improvement in speed in CS5 & Topaz photoFXlab, but the improvement wasn't very much considering how big a jump in tech the new video card is.

• Like Like x 1
  12. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    I didn't use Lightroom until 4.1, so (perhaps fortunately for me) I have never experienced it any faster than it is now :rolleyes:

I have moved to generating 1:1 previews immediately on import, and I just start import and do something else until it's done. It does take a while for a large import but it does at least make browsing through photos and quick manipulations much faster going forward.

If anyone does have any tips to make LR faster then that'd be cool to know about here too :smile:

13. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    Re the length of time an import takes, the bottlenecks there are the speed/throughput of the SD card as well as the speed of the card reader. You're transferring a lot of data, especially if you shoot RAW (or RAW + JPEG). Hardware improvements are likely to provide more noticeable improvements in the performance of LR42 itself, not in importing.

When I'm doing an import, I just start it and go do something else for a bit. :smile:

Edit: I'm not seeing the 5-6 second delay in the Develop module you mention. I hope the article I linked to in my previous message helps. :smile:

14. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    At least in my case the rendering of previews takes longer than the import/copy from the SD card, doubly so when using 1:1 previews generation. It's all CPU (and to a lesser extent, memory) usage at that point.

I'm willing to live with that though because I'd much rather have it all at once than have it spin its wheels every time I switch photos in Develop mode. That drove me nuts until I finally figured out that you could force 1:1 rendering to happen ahead of time.

Other than that initial import & rendering LR is snappy for me now, with the notable exception of noise reduction, which definitely chokes things for a few seconds after adjusting the Luminance slider.

15. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    Yes, I wasn't thinking about rendering 1:1 previews when I posted my comment. IIRC, the article I linked to says to generate 1:1s up front even though it takes longer ... and then to keep the 1:1s as long as possible. After that, LR42 performance for me is pretty decent.

16. HappyFish

HappyFish Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 8, 2012
    Chad
    for trying to speed up develop mode and getting the sliders turning white so you can start working/adjusting quicker
    if you have a SSD put/point the cache on/to it ;)

original image location does not matter that much the catalog does not matter that much yes it helps a small amount but in all my testing moving the cache was the biggest thing :)
    the only camera I put the raw files on a SSD for are the D800 files
    canon MKIII files are much quicker if converted to DNG but strange for me D800 files converted to DNG were not quicker ?

my personal stuff 5D series and OMD :) keeping my files on my main drive vs SSD for my main files I cant tell if their is any speed increase ? so I dont bother moving them around

the 4.2 update has helped some but sadly LR still is a bit slow feeling to me on large files :(

import files at 1:1 which also build the standard previews
    I tend to put my standard on high quality 2048 which has helped a small amount ?

besides being a photographer I also have a post production company and we do a lot of raws for professional photographers so I get to come across pretty much every camera out there

but I always say test things yourself as much as you can for your workflow :) but I do suggest if you find Develop slow get your cache on the SSD
    now its not the magic bullet and going to make it instant ? CPU also matters
    going from a Mac Pro model 3,1 to a 5,1 also gave us a good boost in speed with the same disc setup so its a balance for sure and the SSD will only gain you some speed !

also a single SSD will do it I tried up to 5 on a Areca raid card in raid 0 and really did not gain much after the first one ! so I am pretty sure its purely about the latency and the seek being the thing that helps so much with the cache

and like others I build previews go eat dinner :) answer emails etc.. same for exporting ! but in develop mode I want to get through the job as quick as I can :)

sorry my grammar is not so good :)

hope this helps someone

• Like Like x 2
  17. arch stanton

arch stanton Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2012
    London
    Malc
    Are you applying any presets on import? I'm not at my LR pc at the moment to check, but I wander if it speeds up with a preset that does less work than the standard import.

I think LR defaults to doing some minimal noise reduction and sharpening/correction. Maybe making a preset with all the "expensive" operations sliders to zero might result in faster 1:1 previews?

Total speculation, but if might help...probably trial and error to find out which operations are slowest.

Mind you, thinking about it, you'd still have the lag problems using the develop module when you're changing sliders.

18. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Something is very wrong. One of my machines is an old Core 2 Quad with 4GB RAM and a huge catalog. I never get those pauses.

A few ideas:

- Your OS is 64-bit, right? I just want to make sure because it seems odd that your system isn't even making use of 3GB RAM out of 6GB available.

- Do you have enough extra room on your SSD? I've been told that a more than 75% full SSD will slow down Lightroom

- How big is your Camera RAW cache size? If it's at the default of 1GB, try increasing it to 10GB or more

- Make sure your catalog and cache is located on a fast disk, preferably a different one than your startup disk

- Try deleting your preferences (back them up first) as described here: Solutions for Lightroom Running Slow | Alik Griffin Photography

• Like Like x 2
  19. ppdd

ppdd Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 13, 2012
    Are you writing your changes to xmp files automatically? That used to cause a pretty significant slowdown, since it'd be opening and editing those little buggers almost constantly.

Also, did this only start after adding the SSD? Random read/write performance used to be a problem on cheaper SSDs. Not sure if that's still an issue.

The files are on the SSD, but is the catalog file as well?

20. dko22

dko22 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 26, 2010
    Stuttgart, Germany
    I have definitely found that v4.1 is slower than 3.6 as well despite not changing any settings. Subsequently I have played around with various suggestions on Adobe forums but nothing makes any real difference (apart from clearing the catalogue cache for a while) . Have just downloaded 4.2 and will report if there's any noticeable difference. I'm quite suspicious about the 1:1 previews anyway. It's perfectly obvious that these are not systematically retained at all, irrespective of your settings. For instance if I am just working on the same folder and want to view at 100%, the wait is several seconds. Even I've rendered everything in the folder, I can easily find that even a minute or so later, without having even navigated away from the folder that you again have to wait for several seconds on an image you previously looked at for it to again render 1:1. There is no discernible pattern.

David