Speedbooster?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by funkytwig, Feb 15, 2015.

1. funkytwig

funkytwig New to Mu-43

Feb 2, 2015
    Hi, a friend of mine told be about the Metabones speed booster. I had actually come across them before but the whole idea pickled my brain so much I filed it under too good to be true and forgot about it.

So I decided to look into them and noticed they made the lenses wider angle. Spoke to a hardcore hardware geek/camera enthusiast and he it explained to me. Basically they work by using more of the glass so can collect more light. The downside is that using more of the edge of the glass involves using bit of the glass not designed to be used so the edges may be a bit soft, or even create a slightly vignette. The former I can live with, not sure about the later.

So was wondering if people have had good or bad experienced with the Metabones ones or if they have used any of the cheaper (I guess knock offs). I have the following lenses.

Limux 12-35 f2.8
    Limux 14-140 kit lens
    Limux 20mm f1.7

I noticed a lot of the cheaper ones were also lens adapters (i.e. EOS to MFT). Are there any simple MFT ones that are any good and cheaper that the Metabones one?

Regards,
    Ben

2. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

The speedbooster works by using the larger imaging circle of FF lenses. It also requires room in the mount depth for the optical elements. You cannot buy one (nor could it be made) to use MFT lenses on a MFT body.

ALL of them are lens adapters for using FF lenses on smaller sensors with shallow lens mounts.

3. funkytwig

funkytwig New to Mu-43

Feb 2, 2015
    :mad: o well.

But of the other hand I guess they would make my 50mm Canon 1.8 stupidly fast.

Are any of the non Metabones ones worth considering?

Ben

4. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    I have a no-name $99 Canon FD to M4/3 focal reducer. I would say that if you use legacy lenses, it is definitely worth it. The optical quality is certainly decent, and it extends the utility of old lenses substantially - not only because it's faster, but it also gives you a different focal length.

Having a 50mm/f1.4 as well as 36mm/f1.0 for just the space of an extra adapter is very handy.

It also turned a $60 Canon 50-135 f3.5 into a ~35-100 f2.5. Sure, it's heavier than the Panasonic version, not quite as sharp wide open, and manual focus only...but for 20x less money, I can live with it for now!

5. letsgofishing

letsgofishing Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 21, 2012
    South Africa
    Mike Kaplan
    AFAIK, there are no mft -mft adaptors. They are for canon. nikon (for example) to mft.

6. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hasse
    Not a problem with the focal reducers for MFT if you are using full frame glass.

Check out the Adapted Lenses subforum - plenty of discussion on focal reducers.