Speedbooster + IBIS Math Question

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by nublar, Oct 3, 2015.

1. nublar

nublar Mu-43 Regular

Jan 22, 2013
    SOCAL
    If I had the canon 50mm f1.0L plus the metabones speedbooster and the EM-5II's IBIS, would I gain 6 f/stops?

So I'd be shooting at FF equivalent 50mm x 2 x 0.7 =70mm

at

f1/(sqrt(2)^-6) = f/0.125?

2. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    No.

Metabones Speedboosters do not boost preboost apertures faster than f1.2, the 1.0 would act the same as a 1.2 and thus only be 0.82 (or whatever).

You would gain roughly 4-5 stops of stabilization, however this doesn't change the light gathering ability or depth of field at all.

3. MarkRyan

MarkRyan Instagram: @MRSallee

May 3, 2013
    California
    When Olympus claims IBIS is good for a 5-stop improvement, it means you can use a slower shutter speed and still get sharp results. Does not actually mean you collect more light (without increasing shutter speed). It means stabilization will give a sharp image at 1/4-second shutter speed, where without the stabilization you'd need 1/60-second shutter seed for the same result.

When Metabones says the adapter is good for a 1-stop improvement, it means the lens actually gathers more (usable) light. With the lens set to its max aperture, without Metabones you'd need 1/60-second shutter speed. With the Metabones, you can go up to 1/120 in the same conditions.

So while both features make similar claims, the actual effect of either is completely different. Mathing them together won't give you a number that means anything unless you're calculating theoretical exposures.

4. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    It does mean you can show off when you're in the country and shoot a hand held shot of the milkyway though...

...that's about the best use of it I've found, the subject moving is normally the most pressing issue.

• Like Like x 1