Speedbooster + IBIS Math Question

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by nublar, Oct 3, 2015.

1. nublar

nublar Mu-43 Regular

Jan 22, 2013
    SOCAL
    If I had the canon 50mm f1.0L plus the metabones speedbooster and the EM-5II's IBIS, would I gain 6 f/stops?

So I'd be shooting at FF equivalent 50mm x 2 x 0.7 =70mm

at

f1/(sqrt(2)^-6) = f/0.125?

2. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    No.

Metabones Speedboosters do not boost preboost apertures faster than f1.2, the 1.0 would act the same as a 1.2 and thus only be 0.82 (or whatever).

You would gain roughly 4-5 stops of stabilization, however this doesn't change the light gathering ability or depth of field at all.

3. MarkRyan

MarkRyan Instagram: @MRSallee Subscribing Member

May 3, 2013
    California
    When Olympus claims IBIS is good for a 5-stop improvement, it means you can use a slower shutter speed and still get sharp results. Does not actually mean you collect more light (without increasing shutter speed). It means stabilization will give a sharp image at 1/4-second shutter speed, where without the stabilization you'd need 1/60-second shutter seed for the same result.

When Metabones says the adapter is good for a 1-stop improvement, it means the lens actually gathers more (usable) light. With the lens set to its max aperture, without Metabones you'd need 1/60-second shutter speed. With the Metabones, you can go up to 1/120 in the same conditions.

So while both features make similar claims, the actual effect of either is completely different. Mathing them together won't give you a number that means anything unless you're calculating theoretical exposures.

4. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    It does mean you can show off when you're in the country and shoot a hand held shot of the milkyway though...

...that's about the best use of it I've found, the subject moving is normally the most pressing issue.

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.