1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

SpeedBooster for Minolta MD to µ4/3, Owners Chime in please

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by RDM, Dec 8, 2013.

1. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

I am wondering how this adapter is.
    Anyone using it with Rokkor glass?

2. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

Um ....maybe there are very few owners of this particular speed booster on this site.
    Too bad..
    I was curious about it.

BUMP! in hopes a user of this item sees this thread :smile:

3. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hasse
    I haven't come across any bad reports about the Metabones focal reducers. Only heard a few bad comments in regards to the LensTurbo.

4. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

I am concerned because on the site they already started a good sized list of Minolta lenses that cant be used on it.

5. MichaelShea

MichaelShea Mu-43 Regular

Jan 27, 2011
    Algarve, Portugal
    Just out of interest and given the shortage of available evidence, wouldn't it be far less of a gamble to purchase one of the cheaper Sony Nex cameras and get (almost) the same overall effect, initially with a more conventional adapter? I have three pretty good Minolta lenses, but at the present time I feel the Metabones investment would be foolhardy. Ideally I'd buy the Fuji adapter, but I'm even less convinced about that option, especially with my MD W Rokkor 24mm f2.8 lens, which is probably going to produce smearing all around the sides of a 'full-frame' view. At least with Sony there are lots of people trying out these adapters and uploading images you can look at to assess their worth.

6. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    So far I am only seeing three lenses that are listed as "incompatible" without having the aperture lever shortened. The MD 135 2.8, 3.5 and MD 35-70 f4 (which may be an error, as I can't find any information on them producing an f4, just a 3.5 and 3.5-4.5). Not sure if there are others reported, but this is the only thing I found on their website.

7. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

Oh, well I don't think I will be trying the NEX camera adapter. Unless someone is going to buy me a NEX camera With Hot shoe and EVF, I do not think that I can afford to purchase both a Speed and a new camera system and lens adapters for the system, As well as replacing the TTL flash that I have. Not ignoring the fact that if I did have the money how much of a nuisance it would be to totally move to a new system. I like the µ4/3 system. I am only currently contemplating a move from a GH body to an OM-D body for the IBIS.
    Yet having said that I think that I would like the NEX-7 if someone felt like donating one to me. :smile:

8. Pawel D.

Pawel D. Mu-43 Regular

Jan 25, 2014
    Białystok, Poland
    If you wanted MD speed booster for M4/3 you'll have to remake any other (EF or M42) Chinese focal reducer or wait for them to manufacture one. There are available mounts for FD, EF, M42, Nikon F. Only FD has shorter flange distance than MD, but it's only 0.5 mm shorter, so that's not enough to make an adapter without glass with INF. focus (I didn't find any on eBay).

You could use MD>EF adapter with glass (with M4/3 EF speed booster), but that's just more optical elements and I wonder how much IQ would hurt.

Another solution is buy any MFT speed booster, remove optical elements and 3D-print your own MD speed booster :) I've printed a normal MD adapter yesterday to test two lenses I have and it works fine :)

9. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    Metabones makes an MD booster, so no meed to engineer.

Sent from my LG-P769 using Mu-43 mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  10. Pawel D.

Pawel D. Mu-43 Regular

Jan 25, 2014
    Białystok, Poland
    True! Even with a tripod mount, which might be handy for larger lenses.
    Good to know!

Thanks @Cruzan80!

11. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

wow .. you have a 3D printer?

12. freelance21

freelance21 New to Mu-43

Jul 13, 2014
    NYC area
    David Smith
    SpeedBooster not working on ANY unmodified MD lens?

Hello all,

I recently purchased a Metabones MD to m4/3 Speed Booster after reading reviews and doing some research. I took note of the three lenses Metabones lists as needing to be modified before making the purchase. Now I'm finding that every one of my MD lenses needs modification. The aperture lever rubs against the outer surface of the mount for the glass element inside the SB on all of my MD lenses so the aperture does not function. My MC lenses don't have the problem.

I wrote Metabones support and listed all of my MD glass and asked if there was a problem with my copy of the SB since they only list three MD lenses as problematic. Here's their reply: Hi David, Pls cut the Lens rear lever around 2mm first. Thank you!
    Alex GBI Ltd

So I'm left with two question:
    Is anybody using one of these adaptors and finding they did NOT have to modify their MD lenses?
    Does anyone know of a guide to removing the lever instead of cutting it? I'd love to be able to restore the glass to original if I want to sell any of them in the future.

Thanks so much for your assistance!
    David

13. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    Why would they suggest cutting all of your lenses? I think the copy you got was out of spec, and would contact them back. If it is listed as compatible with actual Minolta lenses (not 3rd party SR mount lenses), then it should work without modification.

14. Pawel D.

Pawel D. Mu-43 Regular

Jan 25, 2014
    Białystok, Poland
    Thanks for the thread guys! I've found an interesting Rokkor MD 50/1.4 for $20. Wanted to use on my EF focal reducer, when I reminded myself it's impossible. Then your story @freelance21. Damn... very good MD lenses but useless for speed boosters. Such a pity...

@RDM, I don't have a private one, but I have access to one simple FDM at work. Sometimes I print some experimental models. I've managed to adapt an interesting Polish projector lens Lucar 50/1.6 and it looks and works great: http://lenscraze.blogspot.com/2014/02/zk-lucar-50-mm-116-projector-lens.html

15. freelance21

freelance21 New to Mu-43

Jul 13, 2014
    NYC area
    David Smith

@Cruzan80: I agree, it should work without modification, but it doesn't. You'll have to ask them why they suggest that. The fact is that they did, three times, just like I quoted above. Like you, I thought I must have a faulty unit and that's why I contacted them, three times. Their response is always the same. "Cut the pin 2mm." I'm not using any third party lenses, they are all Minolta Rokkor MD or MC. I've tried it on six different Rokkor MD lenses and two MC lenses.

The stop down pin on the MD lenses rubs against the outside of the metal lens mount inside the SpeedBooster, causing the pin to stick and the aperture to remain open even when you stop down.

@ Pawel D.: I read a suggestion regarding this issue on the Personal View forum to simply file some material off of the side of the pin facing center. That way the lens would still work on film cameras as designed, yet clear the center glass mount of the SpeedBooster. While that's still a "destructive" method and would effect the value of the lens to collectors, it's a lot better than cutting the pin. I'm not a collector and I really want to use these great lenses with the SB. I'm going to try it on the least expensive, most replaceable lens. I'll record the process and post my results.

16. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    What is the return policy of where you bought it?

Sent from my LG-P769 using Mu-43 mobile app

17. bredman

bredman Mu-43 Veteran

May 30, 2013
    Sherwood Forest
    Pete
    For the record all my MC lenses work fine on the Metabones MD SB i have. As does the 50/1.2 MD i have. No issues here.

18. freelance21

freelance21 New to Mu-43

Jul 13, 2014
    NYC area
    David Smith
    I ended up taking some material off of the inside of the pin. Wasn't hard to do, and works fine. I used several protective layers, a small grinder, and a vacuum to clean each layer before it came off.

@Pawel D. - That 50mm f1.4 is a nice lens. The modification wasn't hard to do if you find it necessary. My MC 58mm f1.4 works fine on the SB without modification.

19. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

So you did not shorten the Pin, but only made it thinner; correct?

20. Pawel D.

Pawel D. Mu-43 Regular

Jan 25, 2014
    Białystok, Poland
    I bought the lens and printed EF>MD adapter. The lens was unfortunately infected with fungus, so parasite's now dying bombed with sun.
    3D printed adapter works very well - it focuses inf. on focal reducer (Chinese $99 version). Doesn't focus infinity on typical EF>MFT adapter, but that's not a problem - I can buy MD>MFT adapter, right? I didn't need to adjust/file/machine the pin at all.
    Here's the sample (100% centre crop) compared with Olympus Zuiko OM 50/1.8 (both on FR) - right click > open image in new tab for full res:
    Olympus+%2528left%2529+Minolta+%2528right%2529.JPG