1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Speedbooster FD announced

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by redington, Oct 25, 2013.

1. redington

redington Mu-43 Regular

Apr 28, 2012
  2. Luger718

Luger718 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 13, 2013
    Also a Minolta MD one was announced too

3. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    I saw that. Does anyone know if that means they are in production, or just pre-orders?

4. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hasse
    One way to see the Metabones gear is as an adapter. Another way is to see it as a sensor upgrade that changes the crop factor from x2 to x1.42, gives you another stop of light, which you can carry from body to body.

• Like Like x 1
  5. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Good point. Still, an expensive adapter. :biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
  6. edmsnap

edmsnap Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 20, 2011
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Sooooooooo excited to see that they've finally done this one up. $400 seems like a lot, but if I see some tests that confirm good optical quality (which seems to be what Metabones is cranking out), then it's a no-brainer for me. My 50/1.2's can be boosted into 35/0.9's. Hello photography-by-candlelight! Canon FD and M42 are my two most populous mounts, and this booster can be used for both, so the $400 will have an impact on about 20 lenses. Gimmie, gimmie, gimmie! :biggrin:

7. bredman

bredman Mu-43 Veteran

May 30, 2013
    Sherwood Forest
    Pete
    I'm gonna hold out to see what comes from the Mitakon Lens Turbo. Coming soon, and i hear they redesigned them for m43 and sorted the optical problems they had with the Nex versions. I need OM and M42 primarily, and Minolta and Konica would be handy too.

8. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    Finally, Minolta MD. $400 bucks is a lot but... so tempting.

• Like Like x 1
  9. kahren

kahren Mu-43 Regular

Mar 21, 2010
    you could just buy a sony nex for $200 instead

• Like Like x 1
  10. spatulaboy

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    And that's relevant how?

11. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    The lenses will be almost as wide on a NEX, as on a m4/3 with SpeedBooster.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    But not a half stop faster.

Sent from my LG-P769 using Mu-43 mobile app

13. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hasse
    But no IBIS, nor electronic shutter. Evf? And the $200 is for a sensor that is fixed in its capabilities. A Metabones 'Sensor Upgrade' is a one time price that will upgrade all m43 sensors for as long as m43 bodies are made :2thumbs:

• Like Like x 1
  14. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

I am excited too.
    I use lenses from three different Legacy mounts but most of my lenses are in Minolta MD mount. However if I would only look at the High quality primes that I have they would be split evenly between Minolta MD, Konica AR and Canon FD mount lenses, with no repeated Focal lengths in the mounts, besides a 50mm 1.2 in both canon FD and Minolta MD. I Would have to decide between MD or FD since I can't afford to purchase both and no forth coming Konica AR mount has even been mentioned.

I feel the same way.

Great point, However that solution only addresses one of the many benefits of the Speedbooster. The increased stop of light would not be obtained that way, and do not forget a speedbooser increases the resolution of the lens used (Lppmm or MTF ). Not to mention all the drawbacks for Oly users.
    Don't forget, if you want a good Nex to use for manual focusing legacy users you would spend much more than 200. I would assume that I would have to purchase the NEX 6 or 7 to evenly replace my GH2, so the metabones adapter is a more economical choice.

15. RedNumber5

RedNumber5 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 13, 2010
    Antioch, CA
    Looks like for the moment the Canon FD mount version is sold out. A lot of people must have been waiting for it.

16. spatulaboy

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    Yeah that's true, but for me the widening is just a side effect. I'm in this for the boost in speed and improved resolution. Given the name of the product I assume this is their primary goal.

17. kahren

kahren Mu-43 Regular

Mar 21, 2010
    NEX does gain about a stop over dof and light collecting over an m43. The extra resolution over the m43 will also be gained, because nex sensor is not as dense, and there is more glass per pixel.

18. MAubrey

MAubrey Photographer

Jul 9, 2012
    Bellingham, WA
    Mike Aubrey
    To be precise, it's 2/3's a stop. As for light collecting, that depends on which NEX you're using and its sensor's efficiency, if its a $200 NEX, then you're not really gaining anything at all if you're using the most recent generation of μ43 sensors. And a $200 NEX will have no resolution gain at all. They're all 16MP. In fact, μ43 might do better because speedbooster will increase the MTF of the lens.