1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

SpeedBooster experiences with EF lenses and autofocus

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by dhazeghi, Nov 3, 2015.

1. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Looking for feedback/reviews from folks with the SpeedBooster EF autofocus adapter and autofocus lenses. I'm wondering how well the AF works, and if there are any lenses that have proven particularly good. I'd be particularly interested in experiences with fast primes, and standard(ish) zooms - e.g. 35/1.4, 50/1.4 and 17-50/2.8 or 17-55/2.8. Thanks!

2. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    The 17-55mm f2.8 will have some pretty harsh vignetting (black corners are likely at the widest setting) compared to the third party lenses which are designed to also cover a Nikon sensor, most lenses work pretty much as expected in most functions... almost none of the Canon glass is near normal m4/3 primes level of sharpness however it's still very usable (as can be seen by all the Canon users of said glass).

Newer designs are almost universally better than old so generally Sigma Art is a hard to fault option (18-35mm f1.8 is most peoples first choice for good reason).

3. Gerard

Gerard Mu-43 All-Pro

May 12, 2015
    Vleuten, Utrecht
    One never knows if these guys are reliable or just another of those 'famous' photographers:

4. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    This is another option:

5. dhazeghi

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Good points. Yes, the Canon 17-55/2.8 probably doesn't make sense then. t see that the Tamron 17-50/2.8 VC is on Metabones' list of lenses that don't work well, AF-wise. I'm wondering how the older (and sharper) non-VC version works.

The Sigma 18-35/1.8 sounds neat, but the range is a bit restrictive for what I'd be looking for.

6. dhazeghi

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Thanks for the link. It's not that encouraging, but I suppose there are some differences between performance on the Sony bodies and on m4/3.

Oh, hadn't seen that before, thanks. The speed looks pretty good. Unfortunately, I'm looking for fast apertures (f/2 on zooms, f/1.2 on primes) and wide-normal focal lengths, so a pure adapter is out. For telephoto though I imagine it would be a great solution.

7. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    Rather than thinking of the length in terms of APS-C think of the speedbooster changing the crop factor of m4/3 from 2.0 to 1.41 (with APS-C being 1.5 for Nikon/Sony and 1.6 for Canon). It's likely to only be a problem at the widest end of the zoom range and only in the extreme corners if it shows up at all (ignoring having to remove the rear baffle on the lens mount to use branded Canon EF-S lenses).

The main problem with the Tamron 17-50mm/2.8 VC is due to it burning out, it's a somewhat inconsistent failure which I have only seen on blackmagic cameras however I wouldn't risk putting one on a speedbooster any more (why take a risk when there's other lenses just as good?). I don't know if it was just one batch of lenses which was faulty or the root cause of it. The lens stops functioning one function at a time if you activate VC, generally the aperture stops responding first (won't stop down when you take a picture or record, the VC/AF still work), shortly afterwards the lens generally stops talking to the camera and needs to be sent back to the factory. The older non-VC version probably works fine, the Sigma version is also good by most accounts (downside to the Sigma is a short focus throw, the Tamron is very long).

I feel it's worth mentioning that the Sigma 18-35mm f1.8 has pretty amazing transmission due to the newer coatings and easily has a stop and a half faster tstop than an older model f2.8 zoom. *nudge* *nudge* :p

• Like Like x 2
  8. dhazeghi

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Yes, that's a good way to look at it. The only concern is that on a standard zoom, wide is usually where I want to be!

Oh, I see. Thanks for clarifying. I have no specific attachment to the VC version (indeed all reviews I've seen suggest it's optically worse than its predecessor).

Conceptually it sounds exciting. Do you use it as a replacement for a standard zoom, or for certain primes?

9. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    A bit of both, think of it as a wide prime; a wide lens however having the option of zooming rather than cropping if needed for framing (or as a standard lens, but being able to zoom out if needed). I find primes are nice however having more than one focal length on offer allows more freedom, as a bonus it's faster than any primes currently available in that focal length range. The main downside is size, it's a little bit of a beast compared to most m4/3 offerings.

For longer focal lengths primes generally do have speed advantages.

10. dhazeghi

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Right, thanks for the explanation. I guess I'm not really a wide prime guy. Getting 25/1.2 is interesting, but I've already got a good 25/1.4, so I'm not sure that'll be a major advantage. If it could replace the 12-40/2.8 entirely, I'd have already bought it, but otherwise it's a pretty big lens whose strong points don't really correspond to what I use. Not to say I wouldn't love to try one out and see how its does!

I'm starting to think the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 DC might be a good compromise for a prime with the SB.

11. dhazeghi

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Anybody else have feedback on the EF SpeedBooster w/AF on m4/3? Particularly interested in that Sigma 30/1.4 and 50/1.4 as well as perhaps the Tamron 60/2 macro and the Tokina 11-20/2.8.

12. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'm waiting for a Nikon focal reducer adapter with AF capabilities!

13. dhazeghi

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Do you have any particular lenses in mind? Most of my interest in the SpeedBooster comes from the 3rd party APS-C and full-frame prime lenses.

14. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I wonder if it is a harder system to crack because there are really no AF adapters for Nikon for anything. There was one announced for Nikon to Sony from a company I had never heard of, but it has been delayed again.

15. Jonathan F/2

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Not really, I just want a Nikon AF adapter to use my Nikon AF lenses for those times I want to shoot in conditions where the CDAF focus would be more accurate on a mirrorless body.

That's my guess. Though Nikon was able to utilize their AF-S lenses with PDAF hybrid focusing with the Nikon 1 system using the FT-1 adapter, so it is possible.

16. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

There are a lot more EF lenses on the market and EF lenses are all fully electronic, so it could just be a matter of grabbing the low hanging fruit first.

Thinking a bit further, Tamron, Tokina, Sigma and others have made AF lenses for Nikon so it can't be rocket science to reverse engineer the algorithms.

17. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    The algorithm isn't generally the problem, I think it's more the physical aperture lever needed on most lenses (only the newest don't need it).

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Jonathan F/2

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    The Nikon AF-S lenses can be electronically controlled to open up the aperture, but at default it is closed. The FT-1 adapter for the Nikon 1 opens it up and then controls it electronically. I'm guessing it's bit harder to figure out versus the Canon EOS mount.

19. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    Nope, the FT-1 has a small mechanical arm inside it which moves the aperture lever on the lens.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. Jonathan F/2

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Ha, you're right and I owned one! I guess age is creeping up! Lol

• Agree Agree x 1