1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Speed up Flickr?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by MCarroll, Aug 28, 2013.

1. MCarroll

MCarroll Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 28, 2013
    Liverpool, UK
    "Yahoo buys image recognition firm IQ Engines to reorganize Flickr"

Yahoo buys image recognition firm IQ Engines to reorganize Flickr

Hopefully some of this change will help the site stop being so painfully slow, I'm sick of photos taking hours to upload! Navigating the site is also a complete pain when you have to wait up to 10 seconds for every page to load.

Sorry for the rant but I cant stand the fashion over function ideology of flickr at the minute.

Matty

2. Qiou87

Qiou87 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 15, 2013
    Paris, France
    Hu, have you read what IQ Engines does? It seems to be about searching for pictures, not the whole database behind the website. So in fact I'm not sure it's going to make the browsing faster, just maybe offer new ways to search for pictures.

In any case I strongly believe it depends on your internet connection. I access Flickr on a tablet (wifi) and on a couple computers with 20MB (DSL) and 100MB (fiber) wired connections, and the experience is very different. It's kinda slow on the tablet, but very much okay on both computers. Upload isn't that bad either, especially compared to 500px.
    As the site is now pretty heavy with all the pictures, it might be slower on older/weaker hardware, or on older web browsers.

3. supermaxv

supermaxv Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 20, 2011
    I'm not a huge fan of flickr but i can't say at all that I'm having speed issues with it, it's pretty snappy for me.

4. caimi

caimi Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 13, 2012
    middle US
    Caimi caimiphotography.com
    Wow, since the format on flickr changed it takes forever for pictures to load. Yes, by all means, speed it up!!!

5. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    It's really slow on an iPad. If you want to view a pic large from the main page (the 'colage' view), I find I need to 'click' (touch) the image three times. Did they actually test it on an iPad?

6. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Which iPad version do you have?