1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Speed of new PENs...

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by byron2112, Jul 6, 2011.

1. byron2112

byron2112 Mu-43 Regular

May 22, 2011
    Why do you all think the continuous frame rate of the flagship E-P3 is slower than the PEN Lite/Mini?

E-P3 - 3.0 fps

E-PL3/E-PM1 - 5.5 fps (IS Off)/4.1 fps (IS On)

The E-P3 has it all really...'cept for this... doesn't make sense to me...

2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    It's not uncommon for pro-rated bodies to have a slower frame rate than consumer-level cameras. When looking between Full Frame and APS-C cameras, the APS-C almost always has the faster frame rate, and Full Frame has the slowest. Slower yet is Medium Format.

Now obviously the E-P3 doesn't have a different sized sensor than the E-PL3 or E-PM1, however it may have better performance capabilities in other areas which hinder the frame rate... like perhaps its AF speed is faster? Who really knows until we can get these cameras in our hands.

3. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I don't recall that Olympus referred to the E-P3 as pro in any way. Did I miss something?

Doesn't the E-PL3 have a newly designed shutter. That may account for it.

4. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Yes, due to the new miniaturization of the E-PL3 and E-PM1, they use new shutters. I remembering reading about this from the Olympus slideshow presentation that someone posted up on the ClubSnap forums.

I think the E-P3 uses the same/old shutter tech of the E-P2...

• Like Like x 1
  5. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Nope, and sorry if you thought I was implying that. I'm merely using the comparison of pro bodies as an example to show that faster frame rate should not be expected as a feature in a "flagship body". I don't know why the E-P3 in particular would feature a slower burst rate, although the shutter mentioned above sounds like a reasonable cause.

Now why the E-P3 would stick with an old, slower shutter, could also be for a number of reasons. Perhaps it's stronger or more durable than the faster, newer shutter? Who knows. It still goes back to the point of there being more important factors of build and performance in a flagship camera that could easily outweigh the importance of framerate.

6. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    I was just curious. A more durable shutter is a good guess as to why there might be a difference. Has anyone ever figured out what the expected shutter life of an E-P1/P2 vs the E-PL1/PL2 is?

7. razumoff

razumoff Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 31, 2010
    France, Paris
    Hi Everybody,
    Do know if the new PEN's bodies (and especially the EP-3) with the new autofocus system improve the speed of the classic lenses 4/3' autofocus when mounted on them ? It could be a good and major reason to buy them. I don't see anything on the official Olympus site.
    Kind regards,

8. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    It sounds like they speed everything up quite a bit. The fastest speeds are with the new Oly lenses, but its right there with the GH2 and G3 even with the earlier m43 lenses from both Oly and Pany.

I'm psyched - the slow reflexes (AF, shutter lag, blackout time) were the only thing I didn't like about my EP2 and the reason I drifted over to Panasonic. The epl3 with the flip up screen has me seriously interested in Olympus again.

-Ray

9. razumoff

razumoff Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 31, 2010
    France, Paris
    Thank you very much Ray, a little up is good enough.
    It's urgent to wait...
    Kind regards

10. mclarenf3

mclarenf3 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 23, 2010
    Canada
    I love the direction that Olympus is going with these PENs. Just really want one with an EVF built in (either range-finder style or SLR style). I have the VF-2, and have never really warmed up to it. For that reason, I almost always fall back on my G2 instead, as the ergonomics of that camera are perfect (just lacking IBIS and Oly colours).

11. byron2112

byron2112 Mu-43 Regular

May 22, 2011
    Ah... being basically new to photography I didn't know this. I assumed top of the pecking order meant better in most every category like many other consumer products.

Makes sense, and something I hadn't considered... thanks Ned.

12. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    You know with a bit of tweaking the G2 can do a great impression of Olympus colors. I agree also that the g2's ergonomics are stellar, I have a G2 and EP1 and the G2 gets all the work ( well most of it) and there is nothing in the new Olympus cameras ( as nice as they are) that will pry that G 2 from my hands.

13. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    And there is nothing that Panasonic has to offer that will pry my E-P2 from my hands.:biggrin:

14. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    Yeah, well that's what makes the world go round. If we all liked the same things the world would be so boring.

• Like Like x 1