Speculation on the E6.....

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by D7k1, Dec 2, 2014.

1. D7k1

D7k1 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2013
    So given the teasers on 43rumors, I think this camera (E6?)is going to be the perfect companion for my EP5. Lets have some fun now that Black Friday/Cyber Mondays deals are gone (almost).

I want/need a 4K with a great codec camera that is smaller than the Gh4, uses m43 lenses, and has the amazing Olympus5 axis IBIS. The quality of the still images from my EP5 are all I'll ever need, but the size and stabilization are the key factors for me. What will make you part with another $1K for the next Olympus body in February (I assume that even if it is much better than the old E5 the dollar/Yen ration will keep the price at the $1K level)?

2. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    The only thing that I would like to see is the EM5 replacement include PDAF like the EM1 does.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    That + wifi, live composite and improved EVF would be good.

• Like Like x 1
  4. D7k1

D7k1 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2013
    43rumors gave the PDAF a F5 rating.

5. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    While the modern M4/3 sensors are remarkably competent, it would be good to see some newer technology just to remove any minor doubts about low-light performance. The Sony 20MP 1" sensors and the new Samsung 28MP APS-C both show the advantages that BSI tech offer, and it seems quite reasonable to incorporate that into a 4/3" sized sensor. Doing so could also enable a resolution bump (up to 20MP, for example) with no per-pixel quality compromise. I'm a pretty firm believer in the power of downsampling to improve quality. If you don't need the extra resolution, you can get rid of it. But if you want to crop or print larger, up-ressing a file is never, ever a good solution compared to native pixels...

• Like Like x 2
  6. emptysensor

emptysensor Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 8, 2011
    Virginia
    Joe
    I'd like to see PDAF, 1/8000 shutter speed, electronic first curtain, and less mushy buttons. Doesn't seem like too much to me. A little more resolution might come in handy as well.

7. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    I'd like to see Olympus blue skies back.

• Like Like x 2
  8. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    Most of the above and completely silent electronic shutter, this one option alone trumps all others for me. Also add it into the E-M1 since it can do it anyway, it's just not enabled... (composite can use fully electronic shutter to capture the images before stacking, rather than cycling the mechanical shutter).

• Like Like x 1
  9. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    I'd like to see PDAF, wifi, 1/8000... and a truly new and improved sensor. Better noise across the board. more dynamic range. I doubt we'll get that sensor this time round, but mostly want to see continued meaningful improvements.

Wouldn't mind a built in ND filter somehow, too :) Oh, and a better eyecup. Stupid broken falling off eye cup...

10. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Better move to Australia then. I don't think they have such things over there, do they? :tongue: :biggrin:

11. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    1/8000 would be great, but you have to have done things that differentiate the EM5 from the EM1, and shutter speed is one of those things that camera makers use.

12. Ross the fiddler

If it is because it needs a more robust shutter system to achieve that, then it is likely to be more expensive & another reason to save it for the higher model (E-M1 & E-P5).

13. TassieFig

TassieFig Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 28, 2013
    Tasmania, Australia
    My biggest wish is an inbuilt GPS but I know that will not happen :frown:
    They are found in every single phone (except mine) and cheap camera on this planet since forever, but not in higher end cameras :dash2:
    They are GREAT, they are tiny, they don't use much battery, you can turn it off :2thumbs:

Other than that there are lots of little things. Most of this already exist so I'm not asking for a revolution...

-1/8000 (or faster) shutter speed
    - Better (firmer) buttons
    - Better button/dial customisation (don't restrict simple things! I don't use scene/art mode, let me put something else there!!!)
    - BETTER interface (c'mon, it's almost 2015. Learn from Android/iOS!!!!!)
    - Inbuilt ND filters (and don't limit it to 1 or 2 choices, let's do it like 1-15 in 1-stop increments)
    - WiFi
    - Better DR
    - Inbuilt flash
    - DNG
    - Focus peaking
    - Electronic shutter (if it is what I think it is...)

What I personally don't need:

- all the fancy video stuff although photo grab from 4K does sound very interesting...but I'm ignorant when it comes to the technicalities for this
    - PDAF (because I'm not using 4/3 glass but I'm not sure if it has any other advantages??

PLEASE keep the same size and general modular shape (and smooth finish). No need for a permanently attached grip (I'd rather make my own and have the option of a modular system)
    YOU MUST keep the weather sealing!!!

Other than that I love my ol' E-M5 :wink:

14. benjimouse

benjimouse Mu-43 Regular

One of the 43 rumours posts a few weeks back was saying "This is a new camera which doesn't owe anything to any previous camera" which has me wishing olympus is doing something really out there. Saving my pennies for something amazing,I'll get the 40-150 2.8 otherwise...

15. pake

pake Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 14, 2010
    Finland
    Teemu
    I'm buying it whether it has or doesn't have the things I want:

- Looks like E-M5
    - Weathersealing (granted)
    - Best EVF on the market
    - Better sensor (less noise - at least in the ISO200-2000 range)
    - Good tracking/continuous autofocus
    - WiFi (granted)
    - Much better video (4k, better codecs, 24/25/30/50/60fps)
    - Focus peaking for video
    - Silent shutter
    - More durable than E-M5 (I've had 2 of them replaced: one sensor failure, one IBIS-failure)

That's all. :biggrin: I wouldn't say no to increased DR either.

16. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    We do but they cost more.

17. D7k1

D7k1 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2013
    More hints on Rumors, FTE = "high resolution", could mean 4K:)

18. Ross the fiddler

It is possible to having 4k video, but the rumour is more likely referring to a higher MP sensor. It's the perfect model to introduce a new sensor as was the E-M5 (& also the E30 of the DSLR's).

19. D7k1

D7k1 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2013
    I was thinking that also, but 43rumors said that his sources said "new higher resolution image" not "we have a higher Megapixel sensor". Interesting stuff, I am keenly interested because it will be another two generations before I buy my next Nikon or Olympus if I get this camera. I must say the EPl1 & then the EP5 have really made me an Oly fan boy.

20. 少林chris

少林chris Mu-43 Regular

Jun 28, 2013
    Los Angeles / Copenhagen
    Chris
    better build quality, better tracking, and better iso. thats all i ask for.