1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Speculation on the E-P5?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by zucchiniboy, Feb 8, 2012.

1. zucchiniboy

zucchiniboy Mu-43 Regular

Oct 13, 2010
    San Francisco
    Now that the EM-5 is announced, I'm looking forward to when all those innards trickle down to the next PEN iteration. Price it below $999 for the body, get the same sensor, perhaps new innovations in high ISO and other stuff, and you've got a definite winner. Anybody else thinking like me?

2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    3D "F.A.S.T" Autofocus and 5-axis Image Stabilization... *drool*

I'll be honest though... I'm more interested in seeing this stuff in a new E-PM2 Mini to go along with the OM-D E-M5. :) That looks like the perfect pair for me... The OM-D has killed the E-Px lineup for me, but the Mini is the PEN I'm still very interested in. In fact, the OM-D has actually taken away my desire for either the E-P3 or E-5. ;)

3. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    Video IBIS,
    FAST AF + 3D Tracking,
    Tilt screen,
    New sensor & processor...

... but most importantly, keep the E-P3 styling... and I am on :cloud-9-039:

P.S. would be even better if focus peaking is available, but as long as that idiot is still at Olympus, I don't think this is a realistic wish... :mad:

4. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    if they trickle the sensor, IS, and "3D FAST" to an EPM2, i'm going full oly (and assuming the "3D FAST" actually performs).

5. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    Wow, you are very generous! The E-P3 with kit lens is priced at $899, so I am hoping body only for $699 or less...

6. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    That's why I am not taking the plunge until some reviews of how well the 3D tracking performs...

7. zucchiniboy

Oct 13, 2010
    San Francisco
    Yeah, I'm with you on that...meant to say well below 999, maybe even $599 or less would be great!

• Like Like x 1
  8. zucchiniboy

Oct 13, 2010
    San Francisco
    Interesting Ned! One of the things I'd definitely want in a future pen is a good control dial (preferably two) for aperture and shutter speed. How's your experience been on the mini with those controls?

Thanks,
    Jason

9. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Kinda sucks, but I've gotten used to it. :)

It really all depends on what you're comparing to. For instance, do you remember all the many lower-level DSLRs with only one turn dial and a separate Exposure Compensation button? Remember the hassle of trying to operate the second function by holding down that Exposure Comp button while turning the dial? Oh, I hated that. Well, the E-PM1 is leagues better than that. The rotary dial is basically two dials in one, and you just press up to access the second dial function. Very much like the Panasonic "click-wheel", except the Panny has an edge in that the click wheel has no buttons around it. The E-PM1 rotary dial is crippled by having the 4-way buttons blended in with the wheel, making it a touchy situation to use either. However, it does have a smart dual-function dial system and very effective thumb placement of the custom button (mine is set to either Magnifier or back-button AF depending on which pre-set I use).

So yeah, if I could get along with something like an E-510 or E-620, then I can certainly bear losing all the weight and size to have an overall better (more efficient) control system in the simplistic E-PM1. :)

The best control dial system however, has always been the forward/rear controls of Olympus DSLRs like the E-3 or E-5, or some Pentax DSLRs. Two separate controls operated by two separate digits (thumb and finger), and none of them are intermingled with any buttons. This is the same setup that the OM-D will have... plus the OM-D adds new custom buttons around the shutter area, meaning that you have all those controls as well as the finger/thumb dials, without having to move your hand out of shooting position! Now that will be sweet.... When compared to something like the E-3 or E-5, that's when the E-PM1 controls seem expecially limited.

Second best control system was the E-P1, E-P2, and E-P3 with the separate thumbwheel along with the rotary dial. Its function could be customized like the E-3/E-5 dials, however the placement is not as good. For one thing you don't have two-digit control, and also the rotary dial is integrated with the buttons. The OM-D will be so much nicer...

• Like Like x 1
  10. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Tom
    I agree with this 100%. In fact, I had an E-P3 for a while and just thought it was too . . . 'big'. In contrast, the PM1 is just the perfect size: tiny, but with the aftermarket grip it fits perfectly in my hand. It's got darn near all the functionality of the E-P3 (minus a few art filters and an orientation sensor). It's the perfect complement to my other m43 camera, a G3, which I use when I want the built-in VF, the flip-out screen, or video. A PM1 equipped with the new AF, new CAF, new IBIS . . . would be awesome.

11. zucchiniboy

Oct 13, 2010
    San Francisco
    Thanks Ned for sharing your experiences. I've always enjoyed having the dual-control dials on my Nikon SLRs. That said, the rear thumb dial on the E-P1 has been generally sufficient, though I wouldn't mind a dual control system like the EM-5. We'll see!

12. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    Have you guys noticed how much space the sensors for that 5-axis IBIS take up? They seem to be the main reason the 'hump' is so big. If that's correct, I think it unlikely you'll see 5-axis IBIS in a body the size of an E-PM, and maybe not even an E-P3 sized body.