Specs aside...do M43 make the best looking mirrorless cameras?

Markb

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Mark

PENpal

Mu-43 Veteran
Yikes!
328411_2655518832974_1405941574_33105867_995559647_o.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Ned

Mu-43 Legend
Ned, if you don't like the looks of the standard bolt-on grip for the E-P3, you REALLY will dislike the optional larger grip! I received mine from B&H this morning, and I was a bit chagrined at its appearance; looks like it's been carved out of a bar of plain black rubber. The standard grip has a textured finish which looks fairly classy; the large grip has no texture and definitely looks bolted on.

Having said all that, the larger grip does work well, improving my hold on the camera - an issue that has soured me on the G3. I'm resigned to using the larger grip and bearing the shame of having the ugliest E-P3 on the block...:rolleyes: At least it's all black; can you imagine the ridicule if I put that grip on a silver model??

Yeah, I notice the larger grip is modeled after the E-PL1 grip... why not the classier E-PL2 grip, I wonder? That's why although the E-P3 is certainly more expandable, the E-PL2 is still one of the best all-around put-together packages there is. If it only had the wheels and extra custom buttons of the E-P3 (I like the extra Fn button by the shutter release to use for AF), I would prefer the E-PL2. I actually like the LCD as the touch-sensitive OLED may be more vibrant but I have the VF-2 for that while the touch-screen is glitchy with the VF-2, and the colors on the LCD are more true.

Ned

Mu-43 Legend
I actually prefer the feel of the E-PL2 grip, not just the style. It's smoother, which allows for different gripping angles and finger lengths. The E-PL1 grip falls in quicker, making you have to bend your fingers in to get a proper grip.

David A

Mu-43 All-Pro
Ned said:
If they were going to use such a large head, I would think they should have opted for a slot-head screw. That way, you can change it quickly in the field with a dime ...

?????

The bolt on my E-P3 grip does have a slot-head. I've only ever used a coin with it.

Real Name
Nic
I think that's why I like the PL1; because there is a definite step. The PL2 grip is a good size but because it rolls off at the edge you have to definitely grip it or just rely on the strap if you are resting the camera by your side.

Mu-43 Legend
?????

The bolt on my E-P3 grip does have a slot-head. I've only ever used a coin with it.

I think Ned was referring to my statement that it should have used an Allen wrench head, and he said it needs to be slot for easy field change.

kimnkk

Mu-43 Rookie
Definitely, totally agreed here. Olympus cameras are so sexy and i'm glad some other people see it that way too! Silver E-PL2 naked or with a half case works too! Never been a huge fan of black cameras

IMG_8440.jpg

DSCF3304.jpg

Art

Mu-43 All-Pro
I just posted this in another thread. Rebel + 50mm f1.8 vs E-PM1 + 45mm f1.8
If you don't think Oly is sexier, there is something wrong with your libido:)

comp4.jpg

darrenleow

Mu-43 Regular
I admit.. a big reason for choosing the Olympus EP2 as my entry point into M4/3 is how much I liked the sexy retro look of the silver camera wrapped in Aki Asahi leatherette. Always wanted one after seeing a friend's similarly decked out EP1. Really happy with this camera and even if I do upgrade in the future this will definitely stay.

383036_10150447718991138_748241137_10977690_1835701412_n.jpg

Latest threads

Top Bottom