1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Specs aside...do M43 make the best looking mirrorless cameras?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Jonathan F/2, Nov 30, 2011.

1. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    When I started researching a small camera to supplement my DSLRs, I saw all the cool little customizations you could do to M43 cameras and knew I had to get one! I do think having a camera you find aesthetically pleasing inspires you to shoot. There's something about the touch and feel of the camera that makes you want to go out and use it. :biggrin:

So does anyone else appreciate the looks of your M43 camera just as much as you like shooting with it? :redface: :smile:

Olympus and Panasonic should really dig more into selling M43 as lifestyle cameras. I just got back from shopping at Target and Nikon has douche face Ashton Kutcher selling the system. Specs are completely secondary! The only people debating specs are hardware geeks on camera forums!

2. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    Absolutely, I love the look of E-PM1 w/Oly 45 or Panny 14, very slick. It makes shooting more fun and enjoyable, kind of like using iphone.

3. Jonathan F/2

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I was sad to see no Olympus cameras selling on the Target camera aisle. Just the lonely GF3 representing M43. Nikon has this huge Ashton Kutcher/Nikon 1 display with 5 J1s in different colors. What's sad is Olympus/Panasonic pioneered this whole multi-colored camera gimmick and Nikon comes along and totally milks it! It really makes me scratch my head on what Pan/Oly are doing.

4. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    No mirrorless digital CSC I've seen looks as good as the original Olympus E-P1 PEN. ;)

• Like Like x 2
  5. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    Frankly speaking, I don't care about the retro look. I think the most aesthetically pleasing camera on the market today is the Sony NEX-7. It looks minimalistic, functional and agressive.

6. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I think my black E-P3 is the best-looking camera on the market.

• Like Like x 2
  7. zpuskas

zpuskas Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2011
    Santa Barbara, CA
    I think both Olympus and Panasonic make some of the most aesthetically pleasing cameras. Nikon and Canon look too similar. Other makes leave me cold (except Leica).

8. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    It looks too agressive and serious, IMO (w/o lens). With lens atached it looks funny. I bet it would look great in anodized silver

9. Jonathan F/2

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'm not too fond of Fuji's emulated film camera look. I do like Olympus' take on the modern retro design.

But Panasonic's minimalist square look of the GF1 and GX1 look pretty cool to me.

10. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    Also some m43 lenses look pretty slick: I like Panny 14, 20, 25 and 14-45. Oly is far behind in the lens beauty department, except perharps 12mm which I haven't seen yet.

11. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Purchased my GF1 sight unseen, based on a recommendation. Esthetically, I find it pleasing. It sorta reminds me of my ol' M3 ... nothing but small, functional, clean ... well balanced. I don't care for the baby dSLR look of the G series. (I understand the design ... given a finite and identical design criteria your'll end up with similar designs I still would have like to have seen something different.) For my tastes the NEX 7 lacks balance.

12. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    Ehhh. I might have to vote Fuji on this one.

13. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    And, frankly speaking, I think the Sony NEX is the ugliest camera on the planet! An objective assessment of beauty in cameras is not attainable....

14. Jonathan F/2

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I think the 12 is the Olympus jewel when it comes to looks. Every other M43 Olympus lens I've handled looks and feel cheap (though optics are nice on most their lenses).

I would love for Panasonic to come out with a hard edged GH body similar to the Nikon FM3A, but with modern touches:

http://www.lawrencephotographic.com/Articles/Nikon%20FM3a/Parts/Nikon.jpg

I think it'd help in differentiating the GH line from DSLRs, while still maintaining the functionality. Plus the hard edged look blends well with the GX1 line.

15. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Nuh uh!! The Samsung NX100 has definitely got the Sony NEX beat for ugliest camera! The Olympus E-PL1 is the ugliest PEN, but it's still a thing of beauty compared to the NX, and a toss-up with the NEX. :D

• Like Like x 1
  16. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    Ned, I didn't realize Samsung made cameras! :cool: I do have one of their TV's, and the design strikes me as minimalistic, functional and aggressive...:biggrin:

17. Jonathan F/2

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    The E-PL1 looks ugly in pictures, but in person it's not too bad. Samsung really needs to hire better designers! They should hire this guy:

Giorgetto Giugiaro - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

He's been designing Nikon SLRs since the F3, not to mention he helped design the DeLorean DMC-12! The same car from Back to the Future!

18. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    No way! Nikon makes the ugliest-looking DSLRs in the industry, although I have to admit they handle extremely nice.

19. The perceived attractiveness of a camera is also a function of it's usability, how it feels to shoot with, and above it's ability to take a good picture. It's amazing how even a big, ugly SLR can become a thing of beauty by that measure. A pretty camera can also become ugly very quickly if it doesn't match it's looks with it's performance.

I find that I now prefer the the looks of the E-PL1 to the E-P1, which I think is mostly because that camera just works better for me.

20. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    I think Amin's E-P3 is the best, too. By the way, how is that Gariz case wearing? or is it too pampered to be getting a patina?