Sparklers x Beach x GH2

Discussion in 'Video to Share' started by powderbanks, Jul 10, 2013.

1. powderbanks

powderbanks Mu-43 Regular

Dec 7, 2012
    north carolina
    Shot this the other night for my friends' store, Moms Sweet Shop. They're celebrating two years of being in business, and being it's still close to the Fourth, why not play with some sparklers (good fireworks are now illegal in North Carolina :frown: ).

GH2 (Moon trial 5)
    SMC Takumar 55/1.8 (shot mostly 1.8-4)
    ISO 3200

[ame="http://vimeo.com/70008442"]Two Years!! on Vimeo[/ame]

2. entropicremnants

entropicremnants Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    Nice vid. Music doesn't fit the subject even remotely but it sounds good, lol.

3. powderbanks

Dec 7, 2012
    north carolina
    Just curious, why do you say the music doesn't fit? I chose it for more of the mood that the song invokes than the lyrical content; and my personal favoring of Lana...haha

4. entropicremnants

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    You're right, and I should have been more clear -- it's the words. I don't think cruising, crystal meth, and so forth do ANYTHING for the mood, lol. If it was instrumental it would be great.

And I have no problem with the song -- I've never heard it but I liked it. But with those words -- which I hear clearly -- it clashes.

Probably just me. Didn't mean anything too negative though as I liked the video.

5. PatrickVA

PatrickVA Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 31, 2012
    Central Virginia
    Well done - had a good dreamy quality with the slower music (though I agree the voice and lyrics were distracting). I really liked that you incorporated sound under the main song - a terrific touch hearing the crackle of the sparklers.

6. powderbanks

Dec 7, 2012
    north carolina
    Haha, I never noticed the crystal meth line, I had to rewatch it to find it. She says 'crystal method,' I always thought she was talking about the music group, not condoning the use of crystal meth. And I thought the 'cruising' part kind of fits the idea of 'youthful summer' :wink:

I didn't take it as negative, just honestly curious. :drinks:

Thanks. I started to edit it without the original audio, and it was weird. I have to say my roommate's dogs weren't too happy with the sound of fireworks for a couple hours though..

7. entropicremnants

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    Fair enough but you know the band name is probably a sly reference whether they condone it or not, lol. We did that type of thing when I was young... Although back then rock music was done with real rocks...

8. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    That was really quite nice! :smile:

9. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Fantastic video! Not to pile on, but I too was a bit distracted by the vocals. I love Lana Del Rey, but this played almost like a music video. There's an instrumental version of that song on YouTube that might be a nice accompaniment. All that said, the video's great. I particularly loved the sound of the sparklers and the slightly out of focus (intentionally I presumed) shots of the pulsing light on the spectators.

10. powderbanks

Dec 7, 2012
    north carolina
    ^ Out of focus bits were partially intentional, some of it was consequences of shooting near wide open and trying to follow the people around and not walk into a sparkler. Thanks for all the feedback.