spare body or new lens?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by weeowee, Jun 15, 2012.

1. weeowee

weeowee Mu-43 Regular

May 6, 2012
    i was thinking of getting a backup second body for my omd, or would it be better to just save my money and get a new lens?

2. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Well... it depends on you, what you want, or expect...

Vague question.

3. RussellOlaguer

RussellOlaguer Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 12, 2012
    Paranaque, Philippines
    Russell Olaguer
    How many lens do you have? I assume you have more than 1 lens because a spare body is non sense if you only have one lens.

Why do you need an extra body?
    Why do you need a new lens?

For me, it is always good to invest in a good lens.

4. weeowee

weeowee Mu-43 Regular

May 6, 2012
    new body because my omd got broken, but i dont need a camera now anyway so i can wait for it to be repaired but it made me think that it might be good to have a spare body nextime it breaks if ever. new lens, i dont really need it but i want the panasonic macro. i only have 3 lenses right now, 12-50, pany 20mm and oly 40-150. i also have a tamron dslr lens but im still waiting for my m4/3 adaptor.

5. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Some older micro 4 3 cameras are going for very little... So that is an option

IMO, I would save..... It's not like your lively hood depends on the camera that a backup is an absolute.

6. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I would get the lens. The only thing you have covering that focal length are slow, soft(er) zooms plus you have no real macro lens. The Leica Macro-Elmarit will give you excellent sharp performance with decent lens speed and real macro capabilities. There's still a LOT you're missing out on with your lens selection.

• Like Like x 1
  7. weeowee

weeowee Mu-43 Regular

May 6, 2012
    my tamron is a 90mm macro lens. but i havent tried it out yet since my adaptor hasnt been delivered yet

8. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    That will definitely cover your need for macro. You don't need autofocus for macro, so legacy lenses work best. They offer a great selection, and the macro lenses are generally sharper with better optics.

Have you considered getting the m.Zuiko 45mm/1.8 then instead of the Leica 45mm/2.8 Macro-Elmarit?

9. weeowee

weeowee Mu-43 Regular

May 6, 2012
    yup i was thinking of that too, but i dont usually do portrait shots..

10. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    In this situation only YOU can decide what to do. Do you already have another camera for backup? If something happened to your OMD, can you get along with an inferior backup? Do you need a backup that's exactly the same, or do you have a job that would require a lot of lens swapping, and it would be more convient to have multiple bodies with the lenses aleady attached?

Personally I got a second OMD because I wanted the silver one, and it came with the 12-60...I was going to sell my black body only, but will keep it as it's the best digital I ever owned, and I use it for work as well as personal.

11. weeowee

weeowee Mu-43 Regular

May 6, 2012
    im fine with an inferior backup since any of the pen has good enough images for me, i was actually eyeying the epl1, but i don't really need a backup cam yet, i was just thinking of one sincemy omd broke , so maybe nextime it will break at a time i need a cam so i might need a backup.

12. A backup body serves two main purposes:

i) Literally, a backup body in case your primary camera breaks down, and

ii) A second body to carry alongside your primary to allow you to have two different lenses mounted.

The first depends on how much you trust your camera. On the slim chance that it breaks down, how upset would you be to not have a camera? The second will allow you to save time changing lenses and give you a greater chance of having the right lens on the camera at the right time.

13. weeowee

weeowee Mu-43 Regular

May 6, 2012
    already broke down, im having it repaired. but since it happened once im scared it will happen again at a time i need a cam thats why im tempted to buy an epl1

14. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    What kind of photography do you like to do? For some (probably most) purposes the three lenses you list will be adequate - for others they will be largely useless...

Do you like to shoot wide? If so perhaps the Lumix 7-14mm or m.ZD 9-18.

Do you like to shoot fine-art landscape? Then perhaps the m.ZD 12mm.

Do you really wish for lots of reach? If so perhaps the Lumix 100-300mm or m.ZD 75-300.

Do you wish for an ultra compact lens? Then perhaps the Lumix 14mm.

Do you want to get artsy and distorted? Then perhaps the Samyang 7.5mm Fisheye.

Do you want a ridiculously fast low-light lens? Then perhaps one of the CV Noktons (17.5mm or 25mm)

Do you want to play with old-school glass? Then perhaps about a million different lenses from Minolta, Olympus OM, Pentax, Canon, Nikkor, Contax, Leica, Zeiss, Voigtlander and a bunch of others could be the ticket...

My point being - it's impossible to give advice to the question you asked without knowing what you would want the lens for...

15. weeowee

weeowee Mu-43 Regular

May 6, 2012
    im not a professional or anything so i just experiment with my cam, i take macro shots, ir shots, im trying to learn street photography thats why i have the 20mm, and i also like taking pics of food. when it comes to zoom im happy with my 40-150.

16. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    When I sold my Canon DSLR I first bought a second :43: body and then added a new lens. I like having a reliable backup and I like having two different lenses mounted so that I can switch cameras quickly in certain situations. I bought a nice, padded pistol shooters bag that's big enough for two cameras and a couple spare lenses but small enough to carry around all day. It's a sling bag that sits well on a hip and also has a pocket for a water bottle. I mount the two lenses I'm most likely to use that day and off I go. If I'm on vacation I have the security of knowing that if one body fails for any reason I have a second right at hand. You can get some awesome older cameras for great prices here on the forum. :biggrin:

17. bongestrella

bongestrella Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 2, 2011
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    Well if you think about it, if you get a second body, you still need a spare lens.

18. weeowee

weeowee Mu-43 Regular

May 6, 2012
    why would i need a spare lens if i get a spare body?

19. bongestrella

bongestrella Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 2, 2011
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    that's what happen when I don't read the whole thread lol

20. weeowee

weeowee Mu-43 Regular

May 6, 2012
    haha ok=)