1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Spammers on this site

Discussion in 'The Watering Hole' started by Amin Sabet, Jun 27, 2012.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    All:

Sorry there has been more spam lately. I understand this is really annoying, and I want to assure you that we are doing everything we can to address this.

The recent deluge of spam has been partially attributable to the use of human spammers for at least part of the process, eg registration. Our Super Mods Luckypenguin and dixeyk are helping me to zap spam as it arises, and I am constantly changing the software to try and weed out spammers.

We have very powerful antispam tools in place, but if we turn up the aggressiveness of the antispam settings, some regular members get blocked and/or posts held up in automoderation. We need to let a bit of spam through in order to avoid inconveniencing a lot of regular members.

If you see a spammer, don't comment in the thread or PM us. Instead, just report the post by clicking on the [​IMG] icon to the upper right of the post, and all moderators will be informed.

I'm making more adjustments to get the current spam problem under control and appreciate your patience!

• Like Like x 5
  2. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I find it intriguing in the way that the recent spammers reiterate what's been written in the thread. Like the other day one popped up and said the exactly the same thing I said!

Good onya mods, must be a tough job.:thumbup:

• Like Like x 1
  3. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Or the lil blue down arrow on the iPad app, where you go to "thank"

- Eliot@Austin, TX

• Like Like x 1
  4. slith

slith Mu-43 Regular

Apr 4, 2012
    Dublin, Ireland
    Alfonso
    How about disallowing posting of links for a number of days after first post in the forum? I mean, for a 5-day wait:

Register - day 1

Lurk for a bit.

Post intro (or whatever) - day 10

Day 15, allow to post a link.

How the posting of a link is not allowed could be as simple as allowing to post but removing the link, or simply not allowing to post at all, either way with a helpful error message.

Ideally not every link would be disallowed during the waiting period, but at least those not linking to the usual image-hosting places like flickr, 500px, smugmug, picasa, etc.

Just a suggestion. It won't stop the spammers, but it will make it much less spammer-friendly, even with a human being doing the spamming, having to wait for n days would be a nuisance.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    There are some problems with that. For one thing, many spammers register a few weeks in advance of spamming. For another, any time I've tried removing or disallowing links with new members, I get flooded with PMs about why links aren't allowed, especially since this is a photography forum and posting a photo is a kind of link. Your suggestions are good though, and I will try to find a way to block links without blocking photos.

6. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    I think the spam control here has been excellent! On the rare occasions I've seen any I just report it and ignore it. the system is working great.

Fred

• Like Like x 3
  7. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Agreed. I've seen spam perhaps half a dozen times, and it's always been removed promptly.

DH

• Like Like x 1
  8. KS11

KS11 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 31, 2011
    Busan/Hong Kong
    or make it mandatory for a first posting on introductions page?

9. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Each thing we make mandatory eliminates a large group of people from participation!

10. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Thanks Amin but how do we know this posts from admin is also not a spam
    ?
    :rofl::rofl::rofl:
    Cheers
    Bhupinder
    Anyway we will keep an eye on them .
    :bravo-009:

• Like Like x 1
  11. allenrowand

allenrowand Mu-43 Regular

Apr 10, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Allen Rowand
    Amin,
    No need to apologize- you and the other admins are doing a great job!

• Like Like x 3
  12. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    I'll reiterate what others have said. Everyone moderating is doing a fantastic job. Keep up the good work.

• Like Like x 3
  13. slith

slith Mu-43 Regular

Apr 4, 2012
    Dublin, Ireland
    Alfonso
    That's why I suggest a waiting time after the first post, so they can register whenever they want, they must post something first before ALL links are allowed. Until then, only links from a whitelist.

But considering how often I check pretty much all the threads, and how little spam I've noticed so far, all I can say is great work to all the mods in keeping the spam in check, as I'm sure the average "checks-twice-a-day" user won't see almost any spam at all.

• Like Like x 1
  14. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    You don't have to tap the tick mark, just tap anywhere along the bar, and the 'Report' option will be available.

15. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Omg! Who knew?! Lol
    Thanks for the tip

- Eliot@Austin, TX

16. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    I agree. I'm new here (and never bothered to introduce myself, sorry), but I haven't seen any spam. This is a very nice place to hang out IMNSHO. :biggrin:

17. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    I've seen some of this spam, but for the most part it's so clumsily executed that it's easy to spot. It certainly hasn't appeared to the point that it's a nuisance or impacts my experience on the forum.

Thanks for keeping us informed as to your efforts to combat it and how we can help!

I guess you should take it as a sign of the success of the forum that spammers are trying so many tactics to post their messages here.