Southern Europe tour (OM-D and Panasonic 35-100)

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by Tarmo, Aug 10, 2013.

1. Tarmo

Tarmo Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 9, 2013
    Helsinki, Finland
    Hi folks,

Just uploaded some photos from my summer travels in Slovenia, Croatia and Italy. For practice's sake (and Olympus having not released the rumored high quality zoom lens) I took the Panasonic 35-100/f2.8 as my only lens for the 3 weeks.

See them here:
    Slovenia, Croatia, Italy (2013) - a set on Flickr

I achieved what I wanted (learned a lot about using a telephoto) and got some nice pictures. However, the set is the best out of slightly over 5000 photos taken, so my "hit rate" could definitely be improved.

Critiques more than welcome! I know it's a decent set, but what should I improve? Which images are the weakest?

9477117335_0a0be117b9_z.

2. juangrande

juangrande Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 2, 2012
    COLORADO
    Those are very well done!

3. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    wow, that's the only lens you took?! that's crazy. :confused: I am guessing you've been there before so you didn't care to photograph the usual touristy spots?
    Pictures are nice. I like how you incorporated animals in a few of them, especially the dog peaking out from behind a fence.

4. tdekany

tdekany Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 8, 2011
    Oregon
    Great set, were these raw?

5. Tarmo

Tarmo Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 9, 2013
    Helsinki, Finland
    Steven, it was sort of an exercise for a few months (ending up with this trip) since I felt that I wasn't so good with telephoto (plus I prefer sealed lenses on travels, and wasn't willing to buy the 12-35 before I've seen what Olympus will offer). The goal was for once to make some nice pictures instead of documenting everything. The girlfriend complained a bit though..

Funny thing, after the period I went back to wide angles but still feel a bit lost with them. I guess I learned to see much better in tele perspectives.

Thomas, yes I shoot RAW and do light post processing. I'm really just a beginning amateur but the obsessive type so I'm trying to learn all the steps.

6. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    nice photos, thanks for sharing :) ....this reminds me I need to stop procrastinating and start processing my own photos from slovenia/croatia

7. rparmar

rparmar Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Limerick, Ireland
    A good set that really captures the feeling of these places. Not that I have been to them all. Nice job.

I will say that you were pretty high above Lake Bled!

8. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Dave
    I really like the nostalgic feel of the cobblestone roads and old buildings, thanks for sharing.

I think your set of photos will benefit from a wider and closer perspective, I can see the compression into play in your photos by the 35-100 which it good btw, but something different might add more diversity. I would have loved to see a 17mm, 20mm or 25mm in action, close to the subjects, engaging and more intimate in a way.

I enjoyed your gallery, looks like you had a nice time.