Source for specs on Panasonic lenses

threeOh

Mu-43 Veteran
I switched to m4/3 about a year ago. In that time I’ve gone to the Panasonic website many times looking for technical information on their lenses. All I find are links to buy lenses.

Where do I find the sort of technical information, like Fuji or Nikon provide, for the lenses? At this time, I’d like to compare the maximum aperture range by FL for some of the slower zooms. The advertised range is sometimes misleading as maximum aperture applies only at the widest FL. 1mm beyond that and there can be a material drop in light gathering ability (PL12-60).

Does not need to be the USA site. As long as the site uses Western characters I’m fine.

Mike Wingate

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Mike Wingate
Details like these can be found in reviews. I always read as many as I can to get a balanced view of the product. This is a snippet from.

https://www.cameralabs.com/leica-dg-8-18mm-f2-8-4-review/

The Leica 8-18mm employs a variable focal ratio, starting at a maximum of f2.8 at 8mm or f4 at 18mm. Many zooms slow-down rapidly as you increase their focal length, but the Leica 8-18mm stays fairly bright for as long as it can. It loses a quarter of a stop to become f3.1 at 9mm (18mm equivalent), half a stop to f3.4 at 12mm, three quarters of a stop to f3.7 at 15mm, before losing the full stop to 4 at 18mm on the nose.

Brownie

Thread Killer Extraordinaire
Real Name
Tim
I've found this helpful:
https://www.m43lenses.com/

And this:
https://www.apotelyt.com/photo-lens/panasonic-lumix-catalog

Scrolling down the second one will reveal links to Olympus and an overall M 4/3 list.

I've never seen a list with all of the specs for every lens. I typically sort out what kind of focal length and speed I want first, then use these lists to identify lenses. That leads me to reviews of the specific lens.

threeOh

Mu-43 Veteran
Thanks for the links. I’ve been to all of those sources. With variable aperture zooms, I like to know just how far into the zoom range the maximum aperture applies. So far, with the PL 12-60, f2.8 applies to 12mm. After 12mm it goes up. To what I have no idea as the fact it applies only to 12mm was a comment from a review.

Rather limited info for a rather expensive lens.

Last edited:

Henk van Slooten

Mu-43 Veteran
From ephotozine.com:

Leica DG Vario-Elmarit 12-60mm f/2.8-4 Asph Performance
Sharpness at the centre at 12mm is excellent from f/2.8 right through to f/11. It is still very good at f/16, but does tail off at f/22 to become fairly soft. The edges are very good from f/2.8 to f/8, good at f/11, but become progressively softer at f/16 and especially at f/22.
At 25mm, open aperture becomes f/3.5 and from here through to f/11 central results are excellent. f/16 is still very good, f/22 becoming soft. The edges are also excellent from f/3.5 to f/8, very good at f/11 and f/16, and again soft at f/22.
40mm shows an identical pattern, open aperture being f/3.9, and central results being excellent down to f/11. At f/16 sharpness is still very good, but the lens is soft by f/22. The edges are excellent from f/3.9 to f/8, very good at f/11 and f/16, softness creeping in by f/22.
By 60mm, from f/4 to f/11 is centrally excellent, the lens is very good at f/16 and still good at f/22. The edges are very good from f/4 to f/16, but fairly soft at f/22.

threeOh

Mu-43 Veteran
Yes, that’s why I would like a chart/table from the manufacturer. Another review, Photography Blog, mentions at 18mm, maximum aperture is f3.2. unfortunately, when it changes and to what extent, is an unknown. That applies to the ephotozine review as well, “At 25mm, open aperture becomes f/3.5”. When did it go to f3.5? The potential it jumps from f2.8 at 12mm to f3.2 at 13mm is a possibility.

Latest threads

Top Bottom