Source for lens /body caps?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Stregone, May 17, 2016.

1. Stregone

Stregone Mu-43 Regular

May 4, 2016
    Manassas, VA, USA
    Anyone have a source for lens rear caps for vintage mounts that isn't coming from china? I am looking for m42 and FD caps. Amazon has some listings for both for a single cap for $5-10 :rofl: So I looked on ebay and found some sellers selling them in packs of 10 for only a couple bucks, but they are coming from china and will take awhile to arrive.

Also, anyone have recommendations for lens front caps? I want to buy a bunch to have spares on hand so I don't wanna spend much, but I don't want them to be complete junk either.

2. Crdome

Crdome Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    Chrome
    If you want cheap, they are coming from China. I buy all my caps that way. They are not junk. I doubt you can buy a cap that wasnt manufactured there. I buy from Hong Kong sellers. I think they arrive much earlier. Last week i received an order of 10 mixed sized caps for about $5. They arrivd in two weeks.

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    I too have bought lens and body caps from Chinese sellers and they really are no different than the plastic caps you get from Olympus, Panasonic, etc. other than not having the brand logo on them. Otherwise they fit fine, are the same thickness, etc.

4. Crdome

Crdome Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    Chrome
    Actuallythey do come with our favorite brand names. Perhaps not authorized but none-the-less Lumix and Olympus are available too.

5. MetilHed

MetilHed Mu-43 Regular

Aug 30, 2015
    Jeff
    Keh.com often has all kinds of lens caps for old lenses.

6. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    I buy my caps on eBay direct from China.

Buying on eBay at least, there are two flavors of shipping. Cheap little things like caps are often offered with free shipping that is normal mail service. In my experience this can take two or more weeks. More expensive things with free shipping are often offered with "E-Packet" shipping, which appears to have some kind of priority. I have gotten these shipments in as little as a week. Sometimes sellers with free normal shipping will offer an upcharge of a dollar or two for e-packet service.

E-packet service is also tracked by USPS. I don't remember if normal surface is tracked or not since I avoid it. USPS has a service called "My USPS" that, after a login, gives a sort of dashboard of all the packages that are inbound to your address. It's a handy way to watch the Chinese packages as they flow.

7. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    I usually buy 10 packs of caps from eBay...generally run me about $7-10 for the lot. That way, I have spares and I have everything covered (literally and figuratively). I often buy used lenses that have no caps, and this way I can quickly toss one on without worrying...I have a bunch of FD/m43/M42 caps in a box...all from Chinese sellers on eBay!

• Like Like x 1
  8. peppermonkey

peppermonkey Mu-43 Regular

May 20, 2013
    Toronto, Canada
    A little OT but what about hoods? Specifically, one for the Panny 45-175mm, PL 45mm f2.8 (Macro), Four Thirds PL 14-50mm f2.8 etc. Any ideas? I could find them but they usually range around $30 plus shipping (which, to Canada means another $15-$30).

9. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    That's a tough one...I ordered an eBay hood for my 9-18/12-50 and it didn't fit at all...had to battle with the seller to get my money back, as it's completely unusable. Though I've heard very good things about JJC hoods, which are still a fraction of the cost of the ludicrous Olympus hoods.

10. Hazza

Hazza Just Clicking

Aug 10, 2013
    Huddersfield UK
    Harry
    I use JJC and uWinka lens hoods for lenses that don't come supplied with one. They work the same way and reverse onto the lens for storage, decent quality too. Ebay is your friend :)

11. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    I like new Sigma caps and they are cheap too.

12. flamingfish

flamingfish Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 16, 2012
    Emily
    Did eBay give you your money back? They offer a guarantee through their dispute resolution process -- if the item isn't what it was represented to be (and your non-fitting hoods clearly weren't) and the seller won't refund, eBay will give you your money back.

13. JensM

JensM Mu-43 Regular

Mar 6, 2016
    Oslo(ish), Norway
    As screename
    I have one of the JCCs on the 60mm Oly and another one under way for the 45... A bit tight fitting, but will give it a rub with some wax, as I was tipped to do on here. If I get other ones needing hoods, I would not hesitate to source them from JCC. :)

14. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Yeah, eventually they did. It was just a bit of a hassle...including them asking for pictures...I'm really not sure how to represent "does not fit" with pictures haha...but I tried my darnedest! ;)

• Like Like x 1
  15. peppermonkey

peppermonkey Mu-43 Regular

May 20, 2013
    Toronto, Canada
    Sorry for the late reply. New'ish baby (8 months old) has effectively killed time, my brain cells and occupied whatever brain cycles left ;)
    Thanks for the suggestions about JJC. Always good to know about good third party companies. Too bad they don't seem to have the hoods I'm looking for, but as I'll probably get some Olympus lenses that don't come with hoods sooner or later, I'll keep it in mind. Too bad, rather not spend $50cdn (cost of hood plus shipping) for hoods if at all possible.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk