1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

SOS on OM-D E-M5

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by gs94121, Aug 18, 2012.

1. gs94121

gs94121 Mu-43 Regular

Sep 6, 2011
    Would anyone give me a lift on how to obtain the actuation from Olympus OM-D E-M5 ?

I've been deciphering myself on how to get this actuation from the monitor's menu buttons.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

2. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
  3. twalker294

twalker294 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 18, 2010
    That's pretty slick. Saving for future reference...

4. The E-M5 is the first Olympus camera that I have bought brand new so I am enjoying the luxury of using the file numbering to keep track of the shutter count.

5. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    As long as you have Filename in the menus set to Auto, and not Reset.

Note that some bracketing options will advance the file number without actuating the shutter. That's why the link above is so useful. In addition there's a lot more info available than shuuter count.

6. I don't really get the purpose of the reset option for filenames. For me it just means that I would end up with a whole bunch of files on the computer with the same name. I have no need for exposure bracketing either so just going by the file numbering is all the info I need to know for my E-M5 and will be accurate. I've used the service mode method on all my other Olympus cameras so far which have been purchased second-hand, with the process for the E-PM1 being the most convoluted.

7. gs94121

gs94121 Mu-43 Regular

Sep 6, 2011
    Demiro: Thank you so much... and, it's helpful to know the total counts as long as I take EM-5 photos while traveling.

8. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    I have two OM-D's ... so every file is a duplicate. I gave each camera a specific file name precursor enabling me co-mingle the files in the same folder.

G

9. Mikefellh

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    You can have the camera do it automatically..instead of a P or a _ for my two E-M5's I have S for my Silver, and B for my Black.

You can do this in (Gear)H, Edit Filename.

10. D@ne

D@ne Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2012
    Toronto
    My actuation count wasn't zero with my new em5...just fyi (if that matters to you). It wasn't anything obscene, but the shutter button had definitely been pushed.

11. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    aaahh ... Mike I've already done that giving each camera a unique file name precursor. So one camera's file name startes with Ivan+number and the other has a different name like Shirley+number.

Gary

12. Mikefellh

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    That's because Olympus tests each camera before it leaves the factory!

Lost track of how many times I've seen a new owner complaining that they think they got a used camera because of this. That's why the information is hidden. Wonder how many people returned their cameras because of this!

13. btango05

btango05 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 8, 2012
    Lathrop CA
    LOL...this thread has me paranoid now that I got a used cam...I bought brand new and received on 6th of Aug....my shutter count is 1173...I checked my pics that I've kept and I have 320 photo's.

Have I really discarded over 800 photos? Ah well.....