1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Sorry to say but I cancelled my EM5 order from Amazon. getting an X Pro 1 instead...

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by asaulo1, Apr 16, 2012.

1. asaulo1

asaulo1 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 21, 2012
    Well, after a few days of thinking about it, I cancelled my EM5 order with Amazon and went ahead with the X Pro 1 and 35mm lens.... I know it's quite an investment but I have been reading all the reviews and impressions (good and bad) for the XP1 and decided to go for the IQ that this camera holds (supposedly).... I have been on the fence as to which system to upgrade to and was considering at one point the 5D MK II. I am not looking to replace my DSLR (7D) but something that is less bulky which will enable me to shoot more... and that is why I came to the m4/3 system in the first place. Better IQ, as you can probably tell, is my main goal in this purchase so time will tell if this new system will be able to win me over even with its quirks. I intend to still keep my E-PL1 but will probably sell of some of my other lenses... Oly 45mm 1.8, Panny 14mm 2.5 and the Oly 14-42mm II R to be specific. I will definitely give you guys an update as how this camera compares to the m4/3 system. Cheers.

2. lowincash

lowincash Mu-43 Regular

Mar 6, 2012
    Los Angeles
    I'm sure you'll have fun with the Xpro1, it's a very good camera indeed just not for everybody. Are you planning on getting any more lenses?

3. asaulo1

asaulo1 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 21, 2012
    Looking at the 18mm once funds open up a bit... I am looking forward to the 18-72mm f4 zoom IS that the Fuji lens roadmap is indicating.... I bet that will be pretty pricey though... but that will definitely be on the "must have" list....
    I should follow suit and change my username to "lowerincash"..... LOL.....

4. Joe777

Joe777 Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 11, 2012
    Oregon
    Cancel

Sorry about that.

I almost did the same thing today, then did some more checking and realized neither the camera or lenses have any image stabilization. Thats ok for the 3 lenses available right now, but could be a pain in the neck if and when Fuji come out with some longer lenses.

5. fgbrault

fgbrault Mu-43 Regular

Mar 2, 2012
    Good luck with the X Pro 1. It seems to be a very fine camera.

6. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    If you can afford it (and afford the depreciation), then go for it!

7. asaulo1

asaulo1 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 21, 2012
    IS will definitely be needed once longer lenses are introduced... here's the link to the leaked lens road map for X mount lenses.... Fujifilm says leaked lens roadmap is a 'close estimate,' more models to follow: Digital Photography Review
    18-72mm with image stabilization is the one that I'm looking forward to....

8. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    How ironic! I just packed up the XPro1 with the 35mm and the 18mm lens today, and returning the stuff. And plan on getting the OMD when it becomes widely available.

9. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    WHAT?! :eek:

10. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Best of luck with the new camera!

Assume you are still going to keep one foot in the m4/3 camp? It seems like with your lenses and given the XPro1 size, it would be nice to still have a compact option. You could always grab one of the new PENs when they come out with the improved sensor. :2thumbs:

I decided to skip the E-M5 and grab the ugly-duckling, psuedo-DSLR Pentax K-01 to get my DSLR fix in (had been looking at a K5 for a bit)... I will definitely order the updated E-P5 (or whatever it is called) when it is released, though.

11. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    :biggrin: Yep!!!

I am going to wait and see what Fuji does in terms of firmware upgrades. I doubt that anything can be done with the annoying aperture chatter, but we'll see. I love the IQ on that XP1, but I'm going to hold off on the XP1 for now. If I need ultimate IQ at base ISO, the M9 is still the king for me. If I need high ISO performance, I can always use the trusty X100. I will be keeping an eye on Fuji though. Big fan of the IQ from the X10/100 and XP1.

The PL25 apparently will chatter on the OMD as well. But, the 14/2.5, 20/1.7 and 45/1.8 should still work without all that noise on the OMD. I hope!!

Or, maybe I won't get a OMD and see what Pany comes up with in the next couple of months. With the GH2's discounted price nowadays, the GH3 has go to be around the corner. Or perhaps even the rumored GX looking camera but with a built-in tilt EVF!

12. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    Don't feel BAD - you're getting a GREAT camera. I hope you like it - not everyone is OK with Fuji's way of doing things. Folks who were used to DSLR's seemed to express the greatest dis-satisfaction with the quirks of the X100 when it first came out last year - not sure whether the same thing is happening with the X-Pro 1 or not. Knowing I liked the X100, I went for the X-Pro 1 on something of an impulse after having "decided" on the EM5. But it wasn't purely an impulse - I'd been bouncing it around for a while and it was one of those "head vs. heart" decisions. My head came up with lots of good reasons why the EM5 made more sense for me, but my gut kept tugging me the other way.

I've been shooting extensively with the X-Pro 1 for two weeks now in New York City and I've been loving it. I like it considerably more than the X100 and I love the X100. I still have an EPL3 and a bunch of m43 glass (like you, I'll likely sell some of it like the 14 and 25) and I'm sure at some point I'll upgrade to either the EM5 or, more likely, some epl3 type of successor assuming that new Pens will have the new sensor.

Unlike some folks who seem to want or need to declare a "winner" between the two cameras, I look at this as a no-lose decision. They're two incredible cameras from all reports. They have different strengths, but they're both wonderful products. There are plenty of good reasons to get either and if you're lucky enough to be able to afford either, I don't think there's a wrong decision to be made.

Enjoy the X-Pro 1!

-Ray

• Like Like x 5
  13. Monza76

Monza76 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 22, 2012
    I am a Pentax DSLR user but I wanted a smaller more discrete camera, I would have loved an XPro1 or even an X100 but they are a little too pricy for my current budget. I sold a complete Pentax beginner kit, as well as a Fuji S2Pro with lens and used the funds to buy a reasonably priced E-PL1 kit, a very cheap E-P2 body and a 17mm f2.8 (still waiting on delivery for the last two items). My total investment was still far less than the cost of even an X100 and there was no out-of-pocket cost to me.

The XPro1 has the aesthetics (it looks like a classic rangefinder), it has the fast prime lenses, it has an interesting viewfinder system and it has the image quality. It is close to what my `dream camera`would be, even with its flaws but the cost of admission is a little too high for a semi retired amateur like me. I guess a VF-1 and one of those leather skins on the E-P2 (with 17mm mounted) will have to suffice.

I hope you enjoy the camera and report back on your experiences.

• Like Like x 1
  14. MexicoMik

MexicoMik Mu-43 Regular

Mar 19, 2012
    "Currently in Tuktoyaktuk"

Ah, the home of the famous university, Tuk U!

I lived in AK for 8 years a while back and still tell people it was the best place I ever lived - Tuk U was often mentioned as the place to go for a swingin' university education if you didn't want to put up with the crowds/hassle at U of A). I ASSUME it was a joke...we never actually checked to see if there WAS a college in Toktoyaktuk... :)

15. +1! I thought the XP1 would have been a keeper for sure.

16. riveredger

riveredger Mu-43 Regular

Aug 30, 2010
    Northern NJ
    Don't forget the NEX 7. Another nice (and pricey) system camera with superb IQ.

17. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    But according to your signature, that's all your lenses. Or have you just not kept your sig updated (I know I don't, either)?

You need to keep at least one high-quality lens like the m.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8 so you can not only make good use of your E-PL1, but also so you can give us an objective comparison of the two systems when you get it. ;) The strength in the Micro Four-Thirds system is in the lenses.

18. Monza76

Monza76 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 22, 2012
    College!! We don't even have a restaurant anymore. About a thousand people access by iceroad (for about another week) plane or (briefly) boat. Still below freezing here, the snowmobile races were today.

19. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    I was just looking at some photos that I took with the XP1 during the engagement day last weekend. And they look very good. Maybe I'll keep it ... AAARGH.

20. asaulo1

asaulo1 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 21, 2012
    thanks for all the replies.... I definitely am not looking to get out of the m4/3 scene since it is what peaked my interest in photography again... I will probably keep the Panny 14mm since it is the most used lens that I currently have on my E-PL1. Like some have mentioned, it's not an all in one system for me since I love my 7D (and the appropriate post work that comes with it).... Cheers....