1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Sorry to complain on the OMD, but I have just one issue...

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by WT21, Feb 8, 2012.

1. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Why can't Oly put a C1, C2, C3 mode on the dial? I've never figured out their user mode in the menu option. It would be so much easier just to have at least one, preferably 2 and wonderful if 3, custom positions on the dial :(

That's my only complaint.

Would anyone else want "C" settings on the dial, or is it just me?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    Two issues - can't assign metering to any of the five customizable buttons. But I suppose I should be happy that I can assign "underwater scene" to at least two of the buttons.

3. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    yes to both these things

• Like Like x 1
  4. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Would rather they got rid of the dial entirely. Worked fine on the E-PM1 and E-5. Too easy to accidentally bump, and the button real-estate could be used for more valuable things, i.e. settings that change frequently.

DH

5. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Actually, I'd take that, too. The "soft" mode dial on the EPM1 is very workable, but it, too, is missing the C1, C2, C3 settings. But I do agree, I'd be happy with a mode dial there. Couldn't "C" modes be added in FW (he hopes in vain)

6. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    or a built-in flash...

• Like Like x 1
  7. drewbot

drewbot Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    Underwater scene is so important!!!!!!! Way more than switching from multi metering to spot :rofl:

• Like Like x 1
  8. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    I'd rather they implement a locking dial rather then get rid of it. swapping between M/A/S is useful to me, as well as C1/2/whatever.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    Since I could never figure out how to use the C settings on previous Oly's, I don't mind them being gone. Wouldn't have minded them being there in case I'm ever struck by lightning and my brain is suddenly able to process how they worked more effectively, but won't miss 'em. Call me agnostic...

If I were to re-design this camera based on what I know now, the ONLY thing I'd change would be to put the EVF in the corner rather than on a hump. This is not a big issue or concern, just something I'd do if someone asked me for my "perfect" camera. I couldn't be happier with what I expect this camera to be. I think I have evidence of everything other than how it will do at ISO 3200, but I expect it will be at least on part with the G3 / GX1 which, when paired with Oly's image stabilization, will allow me to do any low light shooting I want to with this beast.

I'm just over here having absolutely no complaints...

-Ray

• Like Like x 1
  10. dpj

dpj Mu-43 Regular

Jul 20, 2011
    I'm just hoping the sensor is going to be better for Sports photo's using flashes. Yeah 1/250 second X-Sync is all good, but even at 1/160 second on my E-PL1 i still get a lot of motion blur. Why i don't know, as i could shoot down to 1/60 on my 400D with only the tiniest visible amount of blur.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    I don't care for the fact they got rid of the vertical thumbwheel. Yes, there is a wheel around the shutter and another larger wheel that really can't be accessed unless both hands are used. The wheel in the front, used by Panasonic, is not as easy to use. On my E-P1, I could put my finger on the shutter and used my thumb to change settings.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    The E-3 had allowed MySet settings to be accessed through the Mode Dial. That was back when "Custom Reset" was different from "MySet". Custom Reset was accessed through the main menu, whereas MySet was accessed either through the Mode Dial (E-3) or through the Fn button if so set (ie, like on the E-620). Now Custom Reset has simply been renamed to MySet and taken over its function.

It was silly at first to have separated the two functions, as Custom Reset was very easy to set but MySet was a pain to setup. However, MySet had the option of easier access from the shooting menu, but now that it's integrated with Custom Reset they also dropped that Mode Dial access. They should have kept both... merged it with Custom Reset the way they did, but left the options on the Mode Dial.

• Like Like x 1
  13. linkedit

linkedit Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 6, 2010
    New Jersey, USA
    I've been as critical as hell about this camera. But I have to say that Oly knocked it out of the park this time. The price is what sealed it for me. Of course it's impossible to design a body that will please every shooter and I think that Oly made all the right choices with this one.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    A wheel at the finger and one at the thumb is typical DSLR fashion for both Olympus and Pentax (who have the most ergonomic DSLRs to date). I have always found it to be infinitely superior to the wheel placement of the PEN, even the top-line PENs which still had the two control wheels which could be set to the same functions. Functionally they were the same, but the E-3 or E-5 had a huge step up in ease of use in the field due to the placement of the finger/thumb wheels. I only see this as a big improvement.

Besides, it's not the vertical thumbwheel they replaced. The thumbwheel is still there and only the shape of it has changed, what's replaced is the rotary dial that was below it and mixed in with the arrow pad buttons. This dial is the one which was a PITA and everybody complained about it because of it was difficult to use without accidentally accessing one of the button functions. The wheel simply wasn't separated from the buttons enough, though it could have been an effective wheel otherwise. This is the wheel that has now been moved up to the front-of-camera position where it should have been in the first place (ala E-3 style).

• Like Like x 1
  15. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    Sounds like you need a more powerful, shorter duration flash. What are using now?

Fred

16. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Yes, I agree with Fred! Strobes (aka Flash) will stop motion with its short flash duration, as that motion is frozen by the light when captured by the camera even if the exposure time is longer. In other words, the subject exposed by the strobes gets burned in from the first instance, then if the shutter remains open longer it only captures more ambient light if you don't want the light to fall-off quickly from your subject (longer exposures with strobes is known as "dragging the shutter").

You may not need to upgrade your flash though (of course, depending on what you're using). It may be as simple as learning to use Manual flash power to control the your output level. You may not be using your flash to its full potential.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    I'm confused. Looking at this picture:

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/olympusEM5/images/SidebysideG3.jpg

And this picture:

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/olympusEM5/images/SidebysideG3Td.jpg

I see a thumbpad. I also see a dial around the shutter for index finger access, and then I see a larger dial that really can only be accessed by either a) putting the weight of the camera in the left hand and turning with the right hand or b) hold the camera in the right hand as usual and turn with the left hand with the weight of the camera in the right hand.

Unless I am missing something?

With my E-P1, I could hold the camera in my right hand and turn either the main wheel or the verticle thumb wheel with one hand.

• Like Like x 1
  18. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    In the videos I've seen the back thumb wheel falls right under the thumb when holding the camera in shooting position.

Fred

• Like Like x 1
  19. RichDesmond

RichDesmond Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 18, 2011
    While I agree with the button comments, for me the biggest disappointment is the lack of focus peaking. That combined with the IBIS would have made it ideal for adapted glass and easily worth the price premium over the G3.
    Now, I'm not so sure...

• Like Like x 1
  20. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Hahah and its very difficult to please human brain ..hahahahah .
    I love this camera...
    Cheers
    Bhupinder