1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Sorry about the site being down this morning!

Discussion in 'Site information' started by Amin Sabet, Jun 29, 2011.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Some of you may have noticed the site being unavailable early this morning. The gallery uses a lot of bandwidth, and we exceeded our limit. I had no idea we were getting close to that and should have gotten a warning before they pulled the plug. The issue's been taken care of, and we should be all set. Sorry for the inconvenience!

• Like Like x 7
  2. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    I ran into the problem ... thanks for fixing it.

G

3. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Fortunately I was sleeping. :smile: thanks for dealing with all the housekeeping this site requires.

4. DekHog

DekHog Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 3, 2011
    Scotland
    I was on the second last page of a thread, then clicked to go to the last and got the error..... time to try and find the thread again.... :smile:

5. Pan Korop

Pan Korop Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 31, 2011
    Phare Ouest
    I wondered if it was a distributed attack by Panasonic because of the Oly count-down, or by Bielorussian KGB for an unathorized Minsk picture...

• Like Like x 2
  6. f6cvalkyrie

f6cvalkyrie Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 12, 2010
    Brussels, Belgium
    I've have also run into this problem, Amin, that was yesterday.
    Today, I received another error message when trying to connect to Mu-43.com : "server not found" :redface::redface:

But it also seems to have been resolved now, since I'm writing this :biggrin:

Thanks for taking great care of us and this forum, Amin !!!

C U
    Rafael

7. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I realize that the site has been inaccessible, completely or sporadically to many of you, and I'm really sorry about that! I messed up trying to fix a bandwidth issue by changing nameservers to take advantage of a caching service and ended up with a DNS propagation issue. Once I realized what was going on, I changed the nameservers back, but now it's going to take some time for the DNS issue to clear up.

I was up until 3am trying to keep up with the Olympus announcements, only to post them to a site which has been largely inaccessible to the world :dash2:. Really couldn't have picked a worse day for this to happen.

It is possible that those with intermittent problems with access may have the problem solved by doing a DNS flush: Flush DNS - What's My DNS?

Otherwise, this should work itself out over the next day or so.

Again, very sorry about this inconvenience!

• Like Like x 1
  8. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I did the flush as Amin suggested. It worked immediately, but a little later it disappeared, so I flushed again, and it's back. I think if you just keep those instructions handy for a day or so, it'll be OK after that.

9. DekHog

DekHog Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 3, 2011
    Scotland
    Really? I never knew that..... :smile:

10. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer

it's all about the stress...

11. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Tom
    "fix a bandwidth issue by changing nameservers to take advantage of a caching service and ended up with a DNS propagation issue"

Yeah, yeah, that's what they all say.