Sooooo ... Hasselblad is releasing a NEX?

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by ccunningham, Sep 18, 2012.

1. ccunningham

ccunningham Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    Has anybody read about this yet?

It's named the LUNAR, and is supposedly a NEX-7 but in a luxury skin, and it's like 5000 euros, 6500 usd.

Photorumors and mirrorlessrumors are the articles I've seen so far. Is this serious or smokescreen for something else that's up with Hasselblad and Sony?

2. Spuff

Spuff Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    Berkshire, UK.
    If you search for 'Photokina news' it's the first thing in Google at the moment.

If 5000 seems a bit cheap you can opt for a more expensive finish.

• Like Like x 1
  3. LeoS

LeoS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 6, 2012
    Maybe Vertu will see the light (glitter?) and join this game...

• Like Like x 1
  4. ccunningham

Jul 23, 2010
    The thing I was wondering about was whether it was "only" a dressed up NEX-7, or if it was a new model that was an enhanced/upgraded/modified by the two partners NEX-7. It seemed like it was stock but with restyled and coated with precious metals.

I understand the people who want a NEX-7, or more accurately, I understand that the NEX-7 fits what they were wanting, so I get why people buy it at $1200 usd or whatever it's currently going for. But 5000 euro/6500 usd for a NEX-7?

5. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I always wondered how Leica managed to sell a dressed up LX3. The claim from owners is that had Leica image processing (I can't say if it did or didn't) but I was always a bit skeptical about that.

• Like Like x 2
  6. tuanies

tuanies Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 13, 2011
    Graham, WA
    Tuan Huynh
    My friend had an LX3, he just used the Leica RAW processor or something and achieved a little better results.

• Like Like x 1
  7. JudyM

JudyM Mu-43 All-Pro

May 5, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Sanpaku

Sanpaku Mu-43 Regular

Jul 24, 2012
    That's pretty amazingly ugly (especially the gold paint & crocodile skin version). And for that price you could get a Gold OM2, also with crocodile embossed leather (Olympus made 20 for employee anniversaries):

gold_om2n_03.

• Like Like x 4
  9. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    My first thought was, Hasselblad got jealous of Leica's ridiculous Panasonic rebranding. But that's not it. They got jealous of Ferrari's even more ridiculous branding.

• Like Like x 1
  10. zapatista

zapatista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Denver, Colorado, USA
    Mike
    Just what I always wanted, a camera body to match the 70's lime-green shag carpet in my basement!

• Like Like x 2
  11. nueces snapper

nueces snapper Mu-43 All-Pro

I was gonna say somthin but ya just can't top this. :rofl:

• Like Like x 1
  12. ccunningham

Jul 23, 2010
    The other claims were that it included Adobe Photoshop or Lightroom and it maintained its resell value better than the LX3. I'm not saying that's true, I'm just saying that was what people claimed about it.

Didn't Leica sell a re-badged L1 too, and maybe an LC1?

But I suppose if you've got the money to spend, you might as well buy the Leica version. I probably wasn't the target demographic for these re-badged models or other Leica equipment anyway since my pockets weren't that deep.

13. Loksi

Loksi Mu-43 Regular

Aug 1, 2010
    Sydney
    Ross
    My first thought was: what pharmaceuticals was the designer of this taking when they came up with the concept? My second thought was: what chemicals the board ingested prior voting it a 'good idea'? :rofl:

Ross (who won't be buying)

• Like Like x 1
  14. ccunningham

Jul 23, 2010
    Don't forget the Harvest Gold refrigerator....

We actually had an aqua colored electric stove that I remember. It WAS as garish as it sounds.

• Like Like x 1
  15. ccunningham

Jul 23, 2010
    It needs to come with fuzzy dice dangling from a leopard skin patterned camera strap to complete that picture.

16. JudyM

JudyM Mu-43 All-Pro

May 5, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    It needs a vanity mirror. Don't forget the wood grained plastic trim.

By the way, I grew up in a house with a turquoise kitchen: range, sink, walls, etc, and a turquoise 65 Belair in the garage.

• Like Like x 2
  17. ccunningham

Jul 23, 2010
    THAT'S the color I'm thinking of. I called it aqua, but it was really turquoise.

So that you can experience it again in your own kitchen:

Retro kitchen colors like harvest gold, avocado, poppy and orange — from Viking

And this site found an original ad:
    70′s Appliances – Do You Remember Harvest Gold?

It was a special time when you could get appliances in harvest gold, avocado green and some kind of autumn orange, but I don't think that was the name. Even turquoise. I think my parents still have their huge red Pontiac with white pleather interior, though they don't drive it anymore. It's for sentimental value.

18. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    I honestly think that that is the single ungliest bit of industrial design I've seen. Ever. And I just spent five years in design school.

• Like Like x 2
  19. JudyM

JudyM Mu-43 All-Pro

May 5, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    I love Hasselblads, and even I have to agree with you. I can't believe they put their name on that thing.