1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Soon to walk away from Canon...

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by hypervel, Aug 30, 2011.

1. hypervel

hypervel Mu-43 Regular

Aug 30, 2011
    It took a fairly long hike recently to make me chafe at carrying around my 50D and multiple lenses. It was a thing where the annoyance started as a whisper, then grew to a full-on shout in my head. DUMP THIS PIG! But to what end?
    I poked around for smaller offerings, and quickly came to MFT's. Tired of being locked into the neck-hold of Canon (or Nikon for that matter) I was quite pleased to discover a platform established and supported by multiple manufactures. The lens is the thing.
    I haven't yet parted with the Canon gear. That ball should get rolling fairly quickly.
    I'm quite happy with the performance of the 50D and lenses. I'd gotten sucked in by the siren song of bigger/better/faster photo gear. I bought straight in to pixel peeping. Buuuuuuut my prints rarely -never, really- exceed 8.5 by 11. Well, duh. I have so many shots that I can't imaging making any better on a technical level. Why go FF? Upgrade to what?
    DPReview (IIRC) had RAW files downloadable for 50D and GH2. I downloaded into LR and compared on a couple of different ISO settings. GH2 wins or is equal to my eyes.
    Also in my research, mostly in reviews, I found a number of folks leaving Canon. I laughed out loud last night when I read a review on Amazon for the Panny 100-300......a guy was complaining about his 50D and 100-400l. I could have been the fella writing that. Heavy! Yes, it is. And gripped, it is even a little worse.
    It is like having a SUV around your neck.
    It's probably a good month or so until I can transition to a GH2. Until then, I'll be happily hanging around here with you fine folks. In fact, I've been lurking for a bit and appreciate the good atmosphere.
    I write badly because I type badly. That, and I can't streamline the 15 things I want to say all at the same time.
    Oh, and Canon....don't bother with smaller lens changers. We know you'll only go proprietary and try to crowd out everybody else. Great product lines, but glacial progress. Bye.

• Like Like x 3
  2. rusticus

rusticus New to Mu-43

Aug 26, 2011
    I've done a similar thing to you quite recently. I bought a 350D, already had a 28-80mm and an 80-200mm lying around and added a 50mm to that. I ended up with IMO a fairly large camera and kit that I only took out if I wanted it for something specific.

I now have a shiny GF1 with a Pentax-A SMC 50mm f/1.7 on it and a 20mm f/1.7 coming soon. It's already a lot smaller than what I had previously and will be even smaller one the Panacake is on it.

3. ZephyrZ33

ZephyrZ33 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern California
    Nothing beats the all-terrain SUV through the jungle, but most of us travel on the road.

You got your sentiments across so don't be too harsh on yourself. You and your more colloquial form of writing are welcomed here. :smile:

4. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Welcome to the forum, hypervel! I'm sure you will enjoy your new transition in a month. :) Micro Four-Thirds has really changed my gear and how I use it.

5. uscrx

uscrx Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2011
    Shasta Cascade
    Hypervel,

I hear ya. You know it's pathetic when you can't carry all your DSLR equipment in one bag...and you have to sift through to decide which pieces to take with you on a trip. And even when you do, it's so heavy, you can't carry anything else.

Sure...DSLR and heavy equipment have its place... but M43 provides a very attractive option for everyday photography.

Welcome from another newbie!

6. littlefish

littlefish Mu-43 Regular

Aug 22, 2011
    Glos., UK
    Nice to see another ex-Canon user. I'm a recent 'convert' too. All my new 4/3 kit weighs roughly 1/3 and is 1/4 the size of my the old 20D, lenses, 580 EX's, etc. Still finding my way around all the settings but loving the freedom of a more portable set up.

7. Camerafrog

Camerafrog Mu-43 Regular

Feb 12, 2010
    Welcome! Hope you will be pleased with the GH2. Two of my friends have one and are happy.

However, Canon is also supported by multiple manufactures. There's Sigma, Tamron, Tokina with auto focus, and Zeiss manual focus. Then you can use an adapter to mount tons of different lenses. Probably not as many as on GH2 though.

Also, I recommend that you don't sell the Canon until you have used GH2 for at least a couple of months. I know three people who sold their DSLR gear for ยต4/3 and now they are back with the larger cameras again. I have both systems and that works well, but if one had to go it'd be the m4/3 gear.

8. hypervel

hypervel Mu-43 Regular

Aug 30, 2011
    Thanks for the welcome, everybody.

@ Camerafrog: I totally hear you, but 2 things apply.
    I'm financing the transition via the transition.
    I *think* I'm pretty hip to the soon-to-be felt shortcomings compared to a DSLR. The advantages are all too clear. To boot, I figure the development cycle in MFT to clobber the bigs.
    Sigma and others will come around. People like us are walking away from the big players---in my case out of a fair bit of disgust. As we go from fringe to contenders the aftermarket will fill any holes. But really...what's missing in MFT?
    Burst speed and buffer performance for one. Battery life. Could use a comparable lens to 70-200 low F stop.
    Otherwise, these little cameras will leapfrog DSLR offerings. They already have, if guys like me are totally walking away. I've been married over 20 years--I don't just "walk away", ya know?

edit to note- GH2 is the most likely, maybe the G3. Love to find some hands-on vids that show: "See? this is what these things ARE and how they behave".
    The lenses are already in line in my cart. Oh, yes. The waiting just kills.
    You's guys are great! Thanks for coming. Try the veal!

9. rusticus

rusticus New to Mu-43

Aug 26, 2011
    Why not go into a camera shop and ask to have a play about with them both. Videos can only show you so much.

10. hypervel

hypervel Mu-43 Regular

Aug 30, 2011
    Geographically challenged. People here think a camera is that little dot on the back of their phone.
    On thinking of my earlier vid statement...I'm not looking so much for a tutorial. I can RTFM. MFT operation-especially the touch screens- is a new world for me.
    Look at it this way: years of photo mags, and I automatically skipped any reference to MFT as there really was no clear reason given for their existance. ( Oh, look. Another camera targeting "not me".) In fact, the reviews I recall seemed all but disparaging....and they should be too. Ad income arrives on the Canon and Nikon boats. Step not on those toes, mag writers!
    Sites like this will do much to help people wake up from business as usual.

11. chuckgoolsbee

chuckgoolsbee Mu-43 Regular

Apr 6, 2010
    Bend, Oregon
    Oddly, I started with 35mm SLRs, but always strove for lightweight gear. I was an early convert to digital, but always AVOIDED DSLRs as they were so damn big and heavy! I shot with P&S digitals and an Oly C-5050z for years precisely because I never wanted to carry a heavy bag of gear to shoot photos. I dearly missed UWAs and fast glass though, so for me M4/3 was EXACTLY what I wanted. I was probably one of the first G1 buyers in the USA.

The only thing M4/3 lacks as far as I'm concerned is the ability to be driven by a computer. I shoot time-lapse as a hobby and it is the only thing I envy of the Canon/Nikon world.

12. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    I'm a major m4/3 fan and heavily invested in the format. I LOVE it. But there is no way it can possibly replace my 5DMkII gear for my pro work. So, I use the 5DMkII gear for work and enjoy the m4/3 gear for my personal photography. I heartily recommend that you give m4/3 a whirl. But as someone else said here earlier, don't ditch your Canon gear too soon. You may find that m4/3 is not a suitable replacement for your larger gear for all applications.

13. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    As someone who also recently ditched all my Canon gear in favor of m4/3 I'll say, go for it. And I have to agree that the GH2 is remarkably similar in image quality to the GH2. In fact I was just saying the same thing to my shooting partner this weekend past. Today I installed my new Epson 3800 and, of course, ran off some 16x 24 inch prints from most of the cameras we use and this just strengthened my belief that the 50D and the GH2 are very very close. The 5D2 is better but even at large print sizes not as much as you may think. My Leica trounces them all quite thoroughly, even the 5D2 but if you put the GH2 shots printed at 16x24 on a table, no one is going to complain about the quality.

Here's a few things that stuck out for me when comparing the 50D and GH2.

The touch screen AF is simply brilliant and no matter where you put the focus point the focus is fast and precise. I immediately disabled the touch shutter though. It was plain annoying.

Battery life is awful in the GH2. When you're used to a thousand shots on a charge and then have to go back to 340 it's a real kick in the shins. Cost in at least two extra batteries.

The GH2 is better laid out than the 50D and the buttons are more customisable. The camera could use a grip and one is coming, apparently. The GH2 isn't built as well but it's significantly lighter.

The zoom lenses for m4/3 are better than the kit zooms for Canon but there's nothing like the L series stuff except for the 7-14. Rumor says they're coming 2012. Well see. I'd describe the zooms as adequate but dull and uninspiring. The primes are very, very good. Small light and sharp. Not the same DOF as the Canon but since you're coming from a crop camera you won't notice a huge loss. If you like primes you could go the 12, 20, 25, and 45 and never need to upgrade lenses again. The macro is fantastic as is the fisheye.

The external flash on the GH2 is significantly behind the Canon system. No off camera TTL and since the camera uses the sensor for both ambient and flash exposure it's not as functional or flexible. I use the Metz 58AF2 and now use auto mode so I can have the sensor in the flash measure separately from the sensor. Also this solves the disgraceful shutter lag when using flash in TTL mode. Basically in TTL the sensor has to do the flash calculations before the shutter can be closed and reopened for the actual exposure. Auto fixes this and since it reared the aperture from the camera it's as easy to use as TTL just better.

The live histogram is fantastic. Use it always. However the live view doesn't show the actual final image exposure like the Olympus camera do. I wish they would. I prefer the EVF to the finder in the 50D.

Enjoy your new system. I don't think you'll loose anything except some weight.

Gordon

14. hypervel

hypervel Mu-43 Regular

Aug 30, 2011
    Camerafrog put a bug in my ear. Yeah, I think I shall keep the 50d and 100-400 for a bit. It seems wise. I haven't mentioned my love of shooting things that fly. Still, that kit has very numbered days, as I really feel the next generation or 2 of MFT's will bring up the rear in frame performance. The other lenses, flash, etc will be sold on the order of 3-4 weeks. Haste makes waste, and it might be a good idea to cool my jets and read/absorb what the community has to say.
    @Flash: encouraging words. Lenses are the topic of interest at the core of things. It looks to me like the offerings coming down the pike are going to allow us to round out our kits fairly well. It is exciting to be getting into a product line that is so very fluid and relatively nacient. A key lens in my current outfit is the 70-200 f2.8 IS. This is a must for child/school related events. School auditoriums are horribly lit--I'll be hanging my butt out in the wind for a while as the 70-200 is first on the chopping block to finance the MFT goods. It is a matter of fiscal discipline that I sell one kit to buy another. I could buy a complete outfit in the next 10 minutes but feel it is a comparatively frivolous way to channel the family funds.
    I did find some "test drive" vids here and there, concentrating mostly on the G3. The touch screen controls really pique my interest. In fact, I wonder at the possibility of capitalizing on the interface to overcome some weaknesses for action photography. My mind's eye says it might just be possible.
    Work beckons. Have a good day, all.

15. Owning a 50D myself, I find that while my Panny GH1 may well replace most of what the Canon does plus a few more things besides, you simply can't replace ergonomics by downsizing. The GH1 is less comfortable for me to hold and operate, although the lighter weight makes the contest about even in the end. Of course if the camera is hanging around your neck or in a bag for long periods, the m4/3 camera wins any day.

16. hypervel

hypervel Mu-43 Regular

Aug 30, 2011
    That's the rub, though. Over the shoulder. I'm an electrical mechanic by trade and still young enough.....
    We paid a short visit to a local town festival last weekend. Bag over shoulder, no shots taken. Pinch between the shoulders, pins 'n' needles in an arm. Did I mention no shots taken? *stop, drop, unzip, and pull out the honkin' unit*
    As soon as the gripped 50 comes out with whatever lens, I become a center of interest. It works for some things. I've displaced photogs (locally, mind you) simply because I approached with cam and white L mounted. Like the Red Sea parting. I kind of felt guilty, as I hadn't pushed any issue whatsoever. I've had access to events that I felt was probably not warranted, but took advantage anyway.
    The upside comes with the opposite side of the coin. "That's a HUGE camera!"
    From many people, many times. It has become burdensome. Heck, my 8 Y.O. daughter shoots my old Pentax k200D. She can't be left in peace. I always felt it was rather trim, but was apparently wrong. BTW, she has a good eye. Pops my buttons.
    I'm not just looking to lighten MY load, I want to make one system with 2 or 3 total bodies (in time) accessible to my family. My family iz thee gurlz. They have small hands and won't touch the 50 (pound) D.
    Many birds killed with one stone, and a probably superior experience down the road. Here's me banking on future developments, though.

17. Starred

Starred Mu-43 Regular

Aug 7, 2010
    I am just thinking the other way around lately...
    I have a m43 (epl1) for almost 2 years now, and although size of this format is rather good, I really want to upgrade the iq of my pictures. Especially regarding limited DoF and lowlight shooting.

Therefore looking at buying a good dslr and some fast lenses....

18. uscrx

uscrx Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2011
    Shasta Cascade
    In an ideal world, one camera can do it all.

But we don't live in that world. Some of us will have both DSLR and M43. And some of us will be fine with just M43.

There's no right answer.

Then again I feel the need to toy with 1/2 frame and full frame 35mm film, 6X6 medium format film, M43, 1.6X crop, and digital FF. I would like to eventually try digital medium format also.

So.. be it!

:thumbup: