Soon to be new Oly owner

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Tervueren, Nov 13, 2014.

1. Tervueren

Tervueren New to Mu-43

Oct 7, 2011
    Hi, I'm hopefully going to be a new Olympus OM-D E-M1 owner, I've accepted a part exchange quote from WEX for my Sony A77 + 2 lenses which I stopped using as I'm disabled and its weight became an issue, I also have the Samsung NX300 20/50 kit but just couldn't take to it so will be selling that soon which will hopefully enable me to purchase a lens at the same time as the EM1 so I get the £150 cashback :)
    I debated for ages about which camera to go for and I think the Olympus covers all bases for me, I did consider the new NX1 but after my total failure to get on with the 300 decided not to chance it.
    After reading a few threads here I'm even more convinced about it, really looking forward to getting this camera and joining in, not been this enthusiastic over a camera for a very long time lol

2. Jeff1:1

Jeff1:1 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 2, 2013
    Chicago
    I think you'll enjoy the EM1. The small size & weight and felt like old Canon film cameras AE-1 & such is what made me get an EM5. Previously had an A33 and EM5 is considerably smaller and lighter than it.

• Like Like x 1
  3. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    Welcome to M43 and Oly ownership! The wife and I shot 35 SLRs since the 70s and Canon DSLRs for around 10 years. This spring we realized that we no longer want to each try to drag around 50lbs of bodies and lenses. So we made the switch to M43 and got E-M1. Since then we have been in Minnesota shooting North American predators and in Colorado shooting raptors. We have not regretted the switch al all. At both the predator and raptor shoots other photographers where asking us about our equipment. They were about to die from carrying tons of equipment. All we needed were Tenba messenger bags.

Wishing you are the best in your M43 journey!.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Aniseedvan

Aniseedvan Mu-43 Regular

Sep 25, 2011
    Northants,uk
    The em1 is a great camera, I've been really pleased with it for the few weeks I've had it. Got one shot I posted in the "fall colours" thread printed at 18x12 this week and I'll be looking to get it put on canvas bigger than that when I find a good offer.

I've just dropped the 70-200 + 1.4TC on my D700 for football tomorrow and my arm already aches. I look forward to the time I can buy a longer lens and take just the Oly - it's very liberating!

• Like Like x 1
  5. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    You need the E-M1 and a 40-150 f2.8 to shoot that game!!

6. beameup

beameup Mu-43 Regular

Oct 23, 2013
    The E-M1 is not exactly "light weight", especially when compared with the older Olympus 4/3 cameras.

7. Aniseedvan

Aniseedvan Mu-43 Regular

Sep 25, 2011
    Northants,uk
    It's featherweight compared to the Nikon, lens, TC & a battery grip :-/ That 40-150 is on a wishlist...

One other thing for the OP; don't forget the free grip offer, as well as the cashback. I still haven't had time to bolt mine on and test it...!

8. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    Welcome to the m43s club! I switched to my current EP-5 due to my disability, psoriatic arthritis. This arthritis attacks the small joints in the hands and feet with spinal disc thrown in for good measure, in other words a not so nice problem holding heavy cameras and photo gear. I've found my current limit to be the EP-5 + the 12-40mm zoom (28.29 ounces total). Anything heavier than that hurts too much to hold. The much lighter Olympus primes are rapidly becoming my favorite lenses although the 9-18mm zoom and the old version 40-150mm zoom are very light weight.
    There are some great members here who offer great advice free of charge and you can't beat that!
    Bobby

• Like Like x 1