Soon to be mu4/3 newbie guy, from Philippines

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by Bonedoc, Nov 7, 2011.

1. Bonedoc

Bonedoc Mu-43 Rookie

Hi everyone! I'm a soon to be newbie mu4/3 user from the beautiful islands of Mindanao here in the Philippines. My brod referred me to this forum when I was asking "advices" on mu4/3. I'm a DSLR user btw, and is still using them now, but I find them rather bulky for my hiking and mountaineering exploits.

I'm mulling over what to buy for my first micro 4/3 cost and quality are my foremost considerations. I hope you guys can help me with this.

I'm still in the process of reading the threads here, FAQs and guidelines so if you felt you can help enlighten me, please do so I would be grateful.

To the admin(s), thanks for adding me. To my fellow Pinoys here "magandang araw sa inyong lahat", to our international friends and fellow mu4/3 enthusiasts, my warm greetings to you all!

• Like Like x 4
  2. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    Welcome Bonedoc!

Fortunately, both Oly and Pany offer good entry level options with the EPM1 and GF3. It appears that the GF3 can be found discounted sometimes for as low as US$375 for the kit with the 14-42 standard zoom, not the X zoom.

The second hand market is quite robust as well. I'm sure there will be more GF1/2/3 as well as Pens that will be placed on sale with the release if the GX1.

3. Bonedoc

Bonedoc Mu-43 Rookie

Thanks Armanius! Im actually rooting for EP3. But seeing the newest GX1. I'm getting headaches and pocket aches with these...So on with my read, read and read some more....

• Like Like x 1
  4. agwe

agwe Mu-43 Regular

Jul 13, 2011
    Manila, Philippines
    Mabuhay and welcome Bonedoc! You'll find this to be a very friendly and informative community. And full of great photographers as well! I used to have a DSLR as well, but since I got my GF1 + 20mm in December of last year, I've fallen in love with m43 and my old gear is now with new owners.

5. Plimsol

Plimsol Mu-43 Regular

Mar 29, 2010
    Belgium, Antwerp
    Welcome

6. avidone

avidone Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 24, 2011
    Rome, Italy
    Welcome! Whatever model you get I am sure you will enjoy. Even the first and second generation models are still great.

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43 App

7. okinana

okinana Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 21, 2011
    Philadelphia, PA
    :drinks:

Welcome BONEDOC!

8. keith1200rs

keith1200rs Mu-43 Regular

Nov 8, 2011
    North Yorkshire
    I am doing the same thing - I have sold all my Nikon DSLR gear and am now replacing it all with MFT. I am still getting used to how small and light everything is!

Keith.

9. Alf

Alf Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 23, 2010
    Northeastern Tuscany
    Welcome!

10. rex87

rex87 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 21, 2011
    winnipeg, mb
    kuha ug EPL2 bai..cheaper pa sa mga bag-o krn na ng gawas na Oly bodies..unya almost the same ra japon ang perfromance..ang ka ibahan sa mga bag-o krn ky ang AF speed raman nila..dri ang EPL2 kay nasa $599 and EP3 is $899...kung ako pa nmo kuha ug EPL2 u save money for 45 1.8 lens or 20mm 1.7 pana lens. WELCOME!.

11. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Welcome, bonedoc! I've got my arm in a sling right now after being beat up by two savage, violent, crooked cops (while I was defenseless and trying to protect a harmless minpin dog with my body). I could use a bone doc...

12. Bonedoc

Bonedoc Mu-43 Rookie

Broken Ned...

Ned, Thanks for the welcome. Hope you are just kidding. But if you're not, I can refer a colleague if you tell me where your location is. Hope you'd be ok soon.

Bonedoc

13. Bonedoc

Bonedoc Mu-43 Rookie

Thank you, welcome-rs! The warm welcome sure does stirred up my already hot inkling for a mu-43.

I'm drooling already for a micro 43. Though I certainly don't have any idea how to find one good buy. I plan on buying an entry level mu43 that wont make me upgrade in say 3-5 years time. (thats what I did with my DSLR). Thats why Im eyeing for the "latest". But I'm also considering quality and price of course. Beside, availability here in my place is really slow...

Thanks again everyone!

14. Bonedoc

Bonedoc Mu-43 Rookie

Rex, EPL2

Thats a good point bai. Naa naman gud ug nag baligya nako oly lenses at a cheaper price. between the oly mu43 i simply don't hhave a good grasps of whats really the difference between them. Let alone use one. Wala akong kilalang oly user dito. But your suggestion is really good. Ngita sa ko epl2 supplier here...

15. sparkin

sparkin Mu-43 Regular

Nov 18, 2010
    Lexington, KY
    Welcome Bonedoc. M43 is a good place to be - I ditched most dSLR gear for m43 and haven't regretted much of it.

Ned: The RCMP ??

16. Bonedoc

Bonedoc Mu-43 Rookie

Thanks sparkin!I'm tempted to ditch my slr too, but maybe their not that many either so...i'll keep it as my second unit...

17. PENpal

PENpal Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    Would like to visit Lake Sebu again. Any pictures, kabayan?

18. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Hi Ned.. Hope its not true but can shoot ur Xray films and send them to us and we can advise u accordingly .Get well soon anyway
    Cheers