1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Soo, still need help. What resolution do you UL to flickr?

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by Sniksekk, Aug 6, 2015.

1. Sniksekk

Sniksekk Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 7, 2015
    Stupid question, but it should be easy to answer.

What size do you upload photos to flickr?
    Reason for asking is this:

You guys here upload a lot of really really great pictures, and that makes me wonder.
    Do you upload them at original size, or do you decrease the resolution on them so that you are the only ones with the original picture?

I`ve tried to read the exif info file on a lot of flickr pictures from showcase folder, but I can`t get anything out of it (except some have 240 dpi and others have 360 ish).

So, any easy answer?

Thank`s in advice. :D

2. siftu

siftu Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2015
    Bay Area, CA
    siftu
    You can see what size people upload with by clicking the download button on the lower right under the image (if they allow). There is an entry for "original" there.

Personally I resize to 2048 on the long side just because I think it's big enough for most people to actually view the details of the image. It also sharpens up the image and makes the noise less visible. Some people do 800 wide which to me is too small to see much of anything.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  3. Sniksekk

Sniksekk Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 7, 2015
    Diden't know the solution to figure out size was that easy.
    Thanks!

4. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I do something like 1800-2000px on the long end, but it's steadily grown. Some of my old stuff is probably 1000px. I figure if it fills a 1080p monitor, that's good enough. ALthough maybe I'll regret it in 5 years when 4K monitors become commonplace! :)

5. Levster

Levster Mu-43 Top Veteran

I upload at full size and then when I share the image it tends to have a thumbnail around 1024 width.

6. Yong

Yong Mu-43 Regular

Sep 25, 2014
    Every images I upload to internet are resized within 1024 * 1024 px. Looks nice on iPad screen.

7. tyrphoto

tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC
    ㅇtㅈyㅅr
    2048 on the long side, although when I post to most sites, I post at 1024.

8. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Looks like I may be in the minority as I don't resize, although I set a max resolution threshold for viewers other than me. I should probably resize so my uploads are smaller and faster, but I am not really prolific anyway.

9. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I honestly don't know why I do, since I only upload maybe 5-10 a month and I have 1TB of capacity on my account. I think I'm at 2/1000GB since I upload everything at 2MP. :rolleyes-38:

10. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    Graham
    Almost all of what I put on Flickr is 2000 on the long side by whatever the smaller measurement ends up being. This makes them upload faster and presents less of a load for the Flickr servers.
    I think there's one image I've uploaded that's 4608 x 3456. Photos that I want to reproduce are kept offline as corrected 16 bit TIF full size with no EXIF.