1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Sony's NEX System: Announcement today

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by noodlehaus, May 10, 2010.

1. noodlehaus

noodlehaus Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 14, 2010
    • Like Like x 3
  2. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    I read the Digital Photography School review before it was pulled. An interesting sounding camera, but I don't think it's going to be as versatile as m4/3s, because it's going to need larger lenses, though all and sundry will undoubtedly be crowing at the huge sensor compared to the teensy, weensy one used for m4/3s.

One thing that struck me as odd were the the very large lens flange and the camera strap lug positioning, looks like the camera will be carried with the face down.

Cheers

Ray

3. JoeG

JoeG Mu-43 Regular

Strange-looking beast, especially with the kit zoom mounted. No eye-level finder, though it does have an articulated screen. A new lens mount, from what I hear, that won't work with existing lenses. I can't imagine holding it with one hand.

It's beginning to look as though the aps crowd are not going to get mirrorless right.

Here's an image lifted from Gizmodo, who got it from Photo Rumors; see link. Lots more pictures and details there. Notice that the pictures aren't consistent. In particular the handgrip looks minimal on the early snaps, but is much beefier on the final images. Maybe that's the NEX 5?

Here is the new Sony EVIL NEX 3 (freshly leaked) | Photo Rumors

Attached Files:

4. matmcdermott

matmcdermott Mu-43 Regular

Perhaps actually holding one would change my mind, but that is one awful looking camera. There are some things that just looking at them makes you want to use them. This is decidedly not one of them.

5. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    Something kept nagging me about its appearance, and then I remembered:

Sony DSC-F707, there is an uncanny resemblance:

nex5. [​IMG]

Cheers

Ray

6. cosinaphile

cosinaphile Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city
    iso 12,800 looks damn good

lenses seem overly large ............62mm mount? .......dunno about this
    lenses larger than the height of the camera?

also the 2 machines have different tops and different grips

7. Bokeh Diem

Bokeh Diem Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 14, 2010
    Toronto
    It belongs on some mad surgeon's forehead in a dimly lit operating room.

Bokeh D

8. cosinaphile

cosinaphile Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city
    which one lol............they look different

[​IMG]

9. Jamus

Jamus Mu-43 Regular

Apr 18, 2010
    Eww.

10. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
  11. Rich M

Rich M Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 2, 2010
    I am curious how this will pan out......the Sony DSC-F707 that Ray references was one of my most favorite digital cameras. Of course the most attractive part was (and still is) the swivel body.

R

12. noodlehaus

noodlehaus Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 14, 2010
    I somewhat find the form very odd, especially with long lenses. The mount's diameter being longer than the height of the body, as well as the very slim body somehow makes me think that sony made everything tight and compact just for the sake of getting the claim that their system is the smallest. But then you attach the lens, and boom.

I might pass on this one for now, and wait for the next Pen.

13. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    I've finally realised what Sony has done, they taken one of their mobile (cell) phones and added a bayonet mount. :biggrin:

Cheers

Ray

14. Harribo

Harribo Mu-43 Regular

Apr 26, 2010
    Lancashire
    Ive been having a good scout around on the net looking at the various reviews and the kit lens isn’t as large as it first appeared, and as a package with the 16mm prime is similar, if not smaller, than the GF1.

It is fairly impressive how they have packed an APS-C sized sensor into such a small package and you wonder how small the MFT cameras can go.

For me, the one big negative Sony have done is not include physical manual controls and instead gone for menu driven control. (I guess it helps them reduce the size)

One feature from this that I would like to see on the next GF1 is the swivel LCD screen, this would be so useful.

This competition is great for the consumer.

15. Pelao

Pelao Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 3, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    It's certainly nice to have a large sensor in such a compact body: this could allow greater detail etc. I am sure the image quality will be very good. The other thing that stands out is the size - the 5 in particular is very small, making for a seriously unobtrusive camera. In the side-by-side comparisons it is way smaller than the M4/3 offerings. This small size seems well balanced with the large grip.

I think a negative, for my way a shooting, will be the menu based controls. I like that my GF1 allows fast changes using switches, which I can operate almost without looking - and definitely without spending much time with a screen: certainly no more than with my 5D.

Sony have gone very 'digital' with these cameras. Good for them - that's what they do well. Very little in the way of manual interface etc. My view is that interface should be based on what works best, and for my style of shooting a mix is most effective.

I suspect that a lot of people who buy lower end DSLRs will be better served by these cameras.

16. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Looks impressive to me. Bring out a good add-on EVF, or better yet a model with an integrated EVF, and it would look even better!

17. Pelao

Pelao Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 3, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    Yes, bring it on please. If the Gf2 could do this I will be beyond delighted.

As for my earlier interface suppositions, it's worth reading some of the preview at dpreview. To be fair, and to add context, Sony have made it clear that they are aiming these cameras at the P&S crowd. Still, I think the user interface is vastly different than the GF1/EP1 & 2, which are very friendly towards those who want to exercise control, and in a fast and intuitive manner:

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/sonynex5/page4.asp

18. JoeG

JoeG Mu-43 Regular

There is a series of size comparisons at 4/3 rumors. The Sonys are really not that much smaller, even with the short lens, and that honking zoom overwhelms the body. No doubt adapters will be available for non-Sony lenses, but those tend to be bigger and heavier yet. Not a good recipe for handling such a petite body while negotiating software menu controls.

19. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    From an asthetic point of view, it looks GOD aweful. I think the NX10 looks wonderful next to this. I do hope it works out for sony though.

• Like Like x 1
  20. hmpws

hmpws Mu-43 Regular

Apr 24, 2010
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Please bring on the GF2.. haha