1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Sony's new 4/3rds 20MP and 16MP sensors...

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by gravijaflare, Apr 8, 2015.

1. gravijaflare

gravijaflare Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2014
    A planet called Gaia
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. macro

macro Mu-43 Regular

Jan 22, 2012
    They do make one heck of a sensor. This could be interesting and from someone that crops every shot, I'm all ears on this one. Maybe just a rumour, but a very interesting one thanks and could go well with the 300 F/4.

All the best and thanks for the link, appreciated.

Danny.

• Like Like x 1
  3. andyw

andyw Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 27, 2010
    Surrey. UK
    Oooh this is going to be interesting. Maybe the 1st to break the 16mp on a 4/3 sensor! Hope it's good!!!

4. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Smells like the trump card for E-M1 Mk2 if anything.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. emorgan451

emorgan451 Mu-43 Veteran

I hope it pans out, not that I need 20 mp. Maybe it'll add a little bump in low light capability and overall IQ. A similar IQ jump like was seen between the 12mp sensors to the current 16 would be welcome. If so a used em1 mk2 is in my future in a couple yrs. Lol.

6. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    Any progress is good progress at this stage. Makes a lot of sense for Olympus to bump this up, add in all the features from the EM5 mk II, plus some others that we are not aware of yet.

Now, if we could just get Olympus (and Panasonic for that matter) to put more money into marketing and show what capabilities are available to people, they might get a good spike in sales and be able to expand functionality at a faster pace.

7. GBarrington

GBarrington Mu-43 Veteran

I would welcome greater pixel density, but as I've said elsewhere, I only want it if I don't have to compromise AT ALL when it comes to image quality. I'm not interested in an increase if all it means is a change to the marketing 'talking points'. I want more dynamic range, more detail, and better IQ, overall.

I would say at this point i'm interested in hearing more, but the manufacturers will have to show me that the quality is there before I get too excited.

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    The 20mp sensor will be great for printing large and cropping with telephoto lenses, but I'm not holding my breath that we'll see better low light performance at that pixel density.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Vinpocetine

Vinpocetine Mu-43 Regular

Nov 25, 2014
    I expect that you will see better low light performance at that pixel density. The RX100iii high ISO performance is similar to that of the EM5/EM1/EM1-ii at a pixel density of 2.4 microns / equivalent to 34MP on m4/3. Topping that at 20MP should be pretty trivial for Sony (I hope) :).

This is working on the assumption that Sony made these with their latest and greatest tech.

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    You guys realize it's just 1.12 cropping factor between 16MP and 20MP, don't you?

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Don't get too excited about cropping and printing. If you do a massive 2x zoom crop from both 16 and 20MP sensors, the resulting files would be 4 and 5 MP respectively. Printing, you are talking about 12% larger in each at same DPI. So for example, 16x20 at 16MP is the same DPI as 20MP at 18x22"

It's not night and day difference, that is for sure.

(Edit: budeny beat me to the math while I was typing)

12. macro

macro Mu-43 Regular

Jan 22, 2012
    Yep and any increase is better than none. Small increments at a time, not large ones. Its a bit like when they went from 12mp to 16mp and I wouldn't go back. Small steps ;) Who in here would go backward.

All the best.

Danny.

• Agree Agree x 4
  13. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Agreed, but it's hard to get excited about each step and one should temper expectations. I doubt anyone suddenly started printing every print at poster size and cropped amazing amounts from their images when it shifted from 12 to 16. :)

14. kingduct

kingduct Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 12, 2013
    Most of know that "best sensor" doesn't mean "best camera for our purposes." After all, if we wanted the absolute best in sensors, we'd be using cameras with much bigger sensors!

That said, some of us are looking for excuses to upgrade someday. Typically, I need multiple excuses to do so: I currently own a G5 and am pretty happy overall. Yeah, I'd like IBIS, but that's not enough for me to switch to another camera. But both IBIS and a notably better sensor in low light? That could do it for me. Of course, I'll have to wait for any new sensor to trickle down to cheaper models than the E-M1.

15. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
    Better low-light and less noise would be nice. More MP without the above wouldn't suit the enthusiast market that Olympus lives within.

Can't wait for Olympus 2015 releases.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. val

val Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 19, 2013
    Australia
    William
    Definitely interested in this sensor.

17. pake

pake Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 14, 2010
    Finland
    Teemu
    I'd be happy even with 16Mp but IMO more is better since I'm sure Olympus wouldn't sacrifice IQ (DR) just for more megapixels. Just look at their (so-called) marketing... :biggrin: I honestly don't think they would increase resolution for marketing reasons (only) so there will be better IQ with these sensors.

And it has been over three years since they designed the current 16Mp sensor so it's pretty much a certainty that the new sensor will beat the current one regarding noise and dynamic range. Three years is a long time.

EDIT: I hope the higher readout speed means it's possible to take HiRes shots handheld. That would be unbelievable.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2015
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. andyw

andyw Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 27, 2010
    Surrey. UK
    I think in the real world for most people it would be better to have better IQ, especially at low light/high ISO settings and better dynamic range. 16mp is more than I need!

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    I'm not excited much at all about going from 16 to 20, but if the overall improvement is close to that of the 12 to 16 then I am super-excited. I think that 16MP sensor was the beginning of this format gaining significant acceptance. It helped make the E-M5 the game changer that it was. Saying all that, I will be surprised if that jump in performance is at hand again.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. johnvanatta

johnvanatta Mu-43 Regular

Aug 5, 2014
    Oakland, CA
    Well, I think we may be about due for a decent sized jump. Em-5 to Em-1 to Em-5 mk2 is still basically all the same sensor. 3 year span there, I think? So I feel like there's a buildup in tech that hasn't been realized yet.

And Sony's latest sensors have been amazing on other systems. Combined with independent tests indicating that the sensor shift stitching actually does work to create images roughly on par with FF DSLRs, I'm rather optimistic about an EM-2.

• Agree Agree x 1