Review Sony Tough SD cards

pdk42

One of the "Eh?" team
I've recently had two SD cards fail on me. Both were Lexar UHS II Professional 2000x. One was my own fault caused by sitting on it. The other just started to give intermittent errors when mounting in the camera or the card reader and got slowly worse until now it now won't read at all. Both had also got broken little plastic separators between the contacts.

So, I decided to give the Sony Tough cards a try. They are supposedly 18x stronger physically than standard cards and are also water proof. So far I'm very impressed.

They feel quite different to standard cards. Gone is the cheap-feeling plastic outer shell around a flimsy circuit board and in its place is what feels like a ceramic one-piece structure. Drop it onto a hard surface and it sounds like porcelain. The contacts look like they're made to last and fused into the substrate below. There's also no write protect tab to fail (which I always thought were a waste of time).

Performance wise it's as fast or faster than the Lexar card which was rated as the top performer in the E-M1x. A quick test on e-shutter at 60 fps raw delivered a total time to shoot 40 frames and save them (card icon stopped flashing) of about 6 seconds. I can live with that :)

Guaranteed 5 years (for what it's worth).

Sony SF-G series TOUGH specification

Recommended (but not cheap)!

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom