1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Sony to get 5 axis?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by daum, Jun 5, 2013.

1. daum

daum Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2011
  2. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    What makes you think Sony's getting 5 axis?

3. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    Does that mean they will then rework their lenses to take out Ois ?? If not, then what's the point ?

4. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    You got that fantastic Sony sensor in your OM-D :smile: And...

5. daum

daum Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2011
    Yes, but a NEX with 5-Axis would probably get me to switch. Just think it Olympus is committing suicide of this happens.

6. darosk

darosk Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 17, 2013
    Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
    Daros
    Really? The massive glass is a turn off for me. I got into m43 because I can fit an entire kit in one hand (almost).

In general m43 glass is a better selection right now too.

7. daum

daum Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2011
    But combined with the body, it's not much bigger. If they do include 5axis into NEX, I'm sure by then the lens line up would be better also.

8. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Wait till you see the upcoming Lumix 150 ƒ2.8 bolted on a GH3 :biggrin:

9. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    Fair enough trade. Wonder how many EM5's, EPL5's, amd EPM2's would have sold with the old 12MP sensor. Maybe Olympus gets the compact NEX EVF's next. Maybe Sony can shrink the Olympus chips for smaller, faster bodies too.

10. darosk

darosk Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 17, 2013
    Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
    Daros
    I've been waiting for NEX lens lineup to "get better" for years :tongue:

Finally went with m43 because they were doing far more interesting things with their lens lineup. There are a couple of decent primes, but the majority of the E-mount lenses are slow-ish zooms, which I have absolutely no interest in.

11. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    The article mentions Sony A-Mount only (i.e. the SLR mount), not the E-Mount of the NEX. While it's certainly possible that this technology may migrate down to the NEX at some point once Sony gets their hands on it, that's not what this rumor says.

It would seem just as likely to me that Olympus may have offered the 5-axis IBIS to Sony exclusively for use in their SLRs and we may never see it show up in a NEX.

12. darosk

darosk Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 17, 2013
    Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
    Daros
    TBH I'm really tempted by that one. I've heard of guys doing portraits with 300 2.8's on FF - sounds ridiculous but hey, whatever works.

Now the 42.5 1.2, that's something I can still get behind :biggrin:

13. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Interesting...I can't recall a single other manufacturer who has both image stabilized lenses and in-body stabilization...seems kind of odd. Plus, as it has been mentioned, it's an odd move for Oly to give away one of the things that makes their bodies stand out in the market....especially because Sony already leads the legacy lens race...add IBIS to Sony and the legacy lens users are going to be tickled pink.

It won't get me to switch, though...when I was buying my Oly stuff, all of the equivalent Sony lenses had OSS, so I was going to end up stabilized anyways...Sony's brutally bad quality control over lenses (especially the 10-18) and larger overall combination of body/lenses were the major deciding points...IBIS won't change any of that.

14. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Maybe it's just me (from most of what I've read, people seem to favour the Sony EVFs to the Oly's), but I like the OM-D's EVF waaaaaaaaay better than the Sony's! Maybe it's something specific to me/my eye and I just lucked out, but looking through my OM-D, I always forget it's not an OVF...whereas with the Sony I was always acutely aware that I was looking at a tiny screen just in front of my eye...

15. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    Olympus didn't have much choice. It was covered pretty well in the threads when it went down. Olympus didn't trade IBIS for access to Sony sensors. Olympus was well on it's way to going under and Sony swept in and saved it when Panasonic decided to pass on Olympus. Sony is currently the largest stockholder of Olympus. Thus Olympus has access to Sony technology and Sony has access to Olympus technology. It's all one big happy family.

As others have said, Sony has had IBIS for years on their DSLRs. Works pretty well. So I think this rumor is for those cameras and not the NEX.

16. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    Having had NEX, Olympus M43 and Panasonic M43, I don't see much size difference between them all. People have posted pictures of NEX and M43 glass, it's not that different in size at all. If you want something small, the RX100 is unbeatable.

17. darosk

darosk Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 17, 2013
    Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
    Daros
    Oh I've tried them all in hand, the difference is there - at least in my hands it felt like it. I spend months researching things before buying new kit.

The RX100 is a fun little cam but a zoom lens is no substitute for pancakes and fast primes. Doesn't let me use my MF glass either.

18. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Or Olympus gets the RX100 sensor to use in a future "XZ-3" compact :smile:

19. MAubrey

MAubrey Photographer

Jul 9, 2012
    Bellingham, WA
    Mike Aubrey
    Guys, this is about the Alpha mount, not the NEX E-mount. Sony has had mechanical IBIS in their DSLRs for a while now. If they had wanted to put IBIS in NEX, they already would have. And they didn't.