1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Sony SR-45 Camcorder vs Lumix GF2/GH2 in video?

Discussion in 'Filmmaking' started by timothysoong, Dec 10, 2011.

1. timothysoong

timothysoong Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 10, 2011
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Well I have a 3-4 years old Sony camcorder, but I haven't been using it for video since I got my GF2 as I find the VQ better than the camcorder. But the camcorder's battery last longer with video recording and it has 40X digital zoom.

So I was wondering can anyone tell me if the SR-45 camcorder has better VQ than the GF2 or GH2? After all its a camcorder, more of a video-type camera.

Thanks

Edit: If it doesn't produce that much of a result, I might as well sell it. As the SR-45 in amazon/ebay still retails for a quite high price.

2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    That doesn't mean anything, as the camcorder is a point-and-shoot video camera. Comparing a camcorder with a real "video camera" is like comparing a point-and-shoot to a DSLR. In both cases, Micro Four-Thirds can produce quality to compete with the latter.

If you've used both professional video cameras and camcorders, you will know that a Micro Four-Thirds camera is geared to replace the video camera, not the camcorder. It operates like a real video camera, with interchangeable lenses, external audio, and manual control though perhaps a little more limited (ie, like no headphones to monitor audio levels, and somewhat limited live exposure control).

What a camcorder excels at (besides super-zoom, of course) is the ability to use Autofocus in video. This is something no system camera does well, and professional video cameras don't even attempt. System cameras like Micro Four-Thirds are best used manually like a professional video camera... and why wouldn't you use it like that, when you have that capability? People spend tens of thousands of dollars on pro video cameras just to have that control over camcorders.

• Like Like x 1
  3. timothysoong

Aug 10, 2011
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Okay, nuff said', gonna put the camcorder up for sale.

4. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    Your Sony is worth $100-200 on ebay.

People who own both the GH2 and Panasonic TM900 Camcorder (currently $599 at Amazon) generally think the sharpness and colors of the TM900 are superior:
    [ame=http://vimeo.com/29093408]TM900 (SD909) vs GH2 on Vimeo[/ame] The autofocusing, audio and zoom is better too.

5. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    there is a big difference in sensor size between consumer camcorders and the GH2... bigger sensor gives you the possibility of a shallow DOF which can be used to give a more 'cinematic' look

K

6. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    There's also a difference in the way Panasonic camcorders are built. They use a 4CCD or 3CCD sensor array with a prism that splits the light into Red, Green, and Blue, and captures them each on a dedicated sensor. Of course the m4/3 sensor is a lot larger, but the smaller sensor array of Panny video cameras deliver the sharpest video with the brightest colors... at video resolution.
    This doesn't apply to the Sony though.

7. ntblowz

ntblowz Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 13, 2011
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Well there is battery grip for GH2 coming, it can hold 2x battery so give 2x more battery life

• Like Like x 1
  8. timothysoong

Aug 10, 2011
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Where did you heard this from?

9. tamoio

tamoio Mu-43 Regular

I don't know how many people actually own a TM900 and a GH2, but for those that do and actually think the TM900 makes better video than the GH2 I could only advise them to get a better QC monitor. Vimeo is actually unsuitable for making almost any qualitative judgement on IQ.

I'm sure that the TM900 which is a pretty average consumer video camera, is easier to learn to operate. It also has a built in power zoom which is handy for a lot of people. A GH2 with the latest firmware update (even without any of the hacks) and the 14-140 is in an entirely different league.

10. MegaPixelTravel

MegaPixelTravel Mu-43 Regular

May 14, 2011
    Canada
    I know nothing about the TM900, but I got a GH2 and hacked it with Driftwood's Aquamotion (88Mbps vs Stock 24Mbps) and couldn't be happier (without spending a lot more money).

With this hack and another (you need to get premium cards to save the data fast enough) were compared to the C300 and other Pro Film Cameras and in good light GH2 matched or beat most of them in IQ. Now of course the GH2 doesn't have all the pro features but considering its <$1,000 and a C300 is $20K, I'm not complaining, I just purchased some better lighting.