1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Sony SLT-A33 with Tamron 18-250

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by texascbx, Oct 26, 2010.

1. texascbx

texascbx Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 30, 2009
    Texas
    Click in the box for a nicer slideshow or gallery. Pretty happy with the little cam and lens. It's a little heavier with the 18-250 than my old G1 with 45-200, but not much.:cool:

Code:
    <embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" quality="high" width="580" height="386" align="" src="http://www.zenfolio.com/zf/code/slideshow/embedded.swf" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" allowFullScreen="true" flashvars="id=176588336&background=0xf5f5f5&delay=5&transition=0&loop=1&random=0&allowfs=1&allowthumbs=1&showlink=1&allowtitles=0&showtitles=1&autostart=1&allowtopbar=1&allowcontrols=1&transparent=0&loop_music=1&frame=0xcccccc&preloader=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.zenfolio.com%2Fzf%2Fcode%2Fslideshow%2F002.swf&preloader_params=color%3D0xffffff"></embed>

2. texascbx

texascbx Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 30, 2009
    Texas
    Small video

Just showing zoom range with the Tamron 18-250.

******** width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/j-VZGlTLwsw?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/j-VZGlTLwsw?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

3. EasyEd

EasyEd Mu-43 Regular

Feb 16, 2010
    Hey All,

I want to thank you for these posts! Some good looking calves! That 18-250 Tamron is apparently becoming a pretty popular lens. Does it use in lens or in body stabilization? Now for something on the short end say 10 (or a bit more) to something - I think those two lenses would pretty much do the job. I'm looking really hard at the A55. Have you seen any overheating?

-Ed-

• Like Like x 1
  4. 996gt2

996gt2 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 27, 2010
    How is the AF tracking when shooting 7 FPS with the A33? Some people have said that it's quite acceptable, while others have complained that it doesn't really work for sports. Of course, I realize that an A33 isn't a $5000 pro sports camera, but it would be interesting to see how its AF stacks up.

• Like Like x 1
  5. shoturtle

shoturtle &nbsp;

Oct 15, 2010
    the tamron 18-250 is getting discontinued for the 18-270 VC, so if you want one. It is slowly getting harder to find in a sony alpha mount.

The 18-250 is not a IS lens. And on the sony or pentax models you have the ibis. The nikon and canon guys would most likely opt for the 18-270 VC with the lens OIS. Both are good lenses.

• Like Like x 1
  6. texascbx

texascbx Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 30, 2009
    Texas
    Like shoturtle says, the Tamron 18-250 is discontinued and is generally not available in the US. I found one from SimplyElectronics and it came all the way from China. Amazon has a couple but they are pricey. The lens has no stabilization. When shooting video, I turn off the stabilization and shoot from a tripod anyway since I don't shoot much video.

The six or seven frames per second with auto focus is possible and tracks birds easily. It will lock focus on things that were simply not possible to lock on at all with my old G1. For instance, jets fly over my house regularly since I live about 45 minutes from Dallas and the old G1 simply could not lock on and focus on them while the A33 locks on immediately. Also the autofocus on the A33 is spot on when it locks, unlike the G1 which says it's locked, but really is out of focus. Going from contrast auto focus to phase detection auto focus is simply not fair in comparison as it's like bringing a AK47 to a knife fight. I'm using a Sony 8Gb SD card which has no trouble keeping up with the camera.

I tried an old 16gb SD card and it made the video skip when playing back so it's important to have a fast enough memory card for video. For people worried about overheating, they should just get a properly chipped Sigma lens with lens stabilization so they could turn of the sensor stabilization. I've read you can shoot 30 minutes of video if turning off the sensor stabilization. I suppose that's why Panasonic uses lens stabilization on the GH1, GH2 and G2. Also I've read the GH1 has a big heatsink on the sensor so they took into account heat generated by long videos.

I'm keeping the old G1 and lenses since the price I would have to sell them for is too low so I'll set them on the shelf and look at them occasionally.

7. shoturtle

shoturtle &nbsp;

Oct 15, 2010
    the bird thing I will have to disagree with. If you need to track a bird for a burst of 2-3 second, you will loose the bird framing the shot base on a shot that is 1/10 of a second earlier. But it is better then the panny or oly m4/3.

If the bird stays in a confine area it will do that. I tried it out an A55, and panning and tracking is not it's strong suit. The A580 would be the better camera for that. But if the action is confine, the high burst rate does a great job.

8. texascbx

texascbx Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 30, 2009
    Texas
    That's true. But the tracking of the A33 vs G1 is really unfair. Continuous focus on the G1, which really will not work at all tracking a flying bird, slows the camera down to about 1 or maybe 1.5 fps while the A33 can shoot 6 fps continuous focus and be ready for another set of shots after a couple of seconds. I imagine a red dot sight setup would be the better setup on the A33 for tracking a fast flying bird.