1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Sony shutting down production of 200mm wafer - no more CCDs?

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by RobWatson, Feb 26, 2015.

1. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

2. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Almost all digital cameras are using CMOS sensors now, for at least the past several years.

Some video/DV cameras still use CCDs.

Barry

3. RobWatson

Most of the digital cameras I know and use are CCD based and CMOS still cannot replace them in all but a very few applications.

When it comes to broad spectrum quantum efficiency, very low dark current and high dynamic range CMOS is still lagging significantly. Sure, compared to consumer products, these properties fall into a small niche but it is my niche ...

The Sony interlines with HyperHAD architecture are very well received.

4. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Rob: what cameras are those? Highly specialized ones of some sort? None of Oly, Panasonic, Canon, Nikon, Or even current Leica and the newest medium format gear from Hassy use CCD any more. I think my last CCD camera was bought 10 years ago...

5. DaveEP

DaveEP Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 20, 2014
    York, UK
    My last CCD camera was video. Everything else has been CMOS.

I yearn for a global shutter CMOS (like CCD had) because I hate the rolling shutter artefacts that CMOS produces on moving subjects.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Reflex439

Reflex439 Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 2, 2010
    Boston MA
    Stephen Faust
    Most of the professional level cameras are still CCDs. Search B&H professional cameras in the $20k to $80k range, and most are 3-CCD cameras. CMOS is more prevalent in the consumer and low end broadcast offerings.

7. RobWatson

Yup, specialty. Low light level long integration time (10-30 minutes) or astrophotography uses both of which require the sensor to be actively cooled.

Even the fancy "scientific CMOS" cameras cannot compete due to their very high dark current levels.

8. RobWatson

Sony does have some newer stuff coming out in CMOS with global shutter.