1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Sony shows EVIL competition...

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by Brian Mosley, Feb 21, 2010.

1. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Here we go... Sony is coming!

I've always said, Sony is the one to watch as serious competition for m4/3rds... but using an APS-C sensor puts them at a serious disadvantage, imho in terms of lens size.

The above is a mockup of an EVIL camera by Sony... looks like an E-PL1 clone without the EVF.

Any thoughts?

Cheers

Brian

2. SimplyEd

SimplyEd Mu-43 Regular

Feb 10, 2010
    Philippines
    Definitely a serious competition... and to think the it will come with the new sony sensor.... and below $1000...

3. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Hmmm Brian,

Not very pretty and the sensor looks more like a micro 4/3rds than APS-C but that is probably just the angle.

Is that a hint of a flash above the lens?

Also, I note there is no hot shoe so it does make me wonder where they intend to target this in the market and what price it will be.

It looks awfully "toy like" in those colours but I am sure they will "refine" it prior to launch.

4. Brian Mosley

Dec 15, 2009
    Could be a spoiler to disrupt m4/3rds from gathering even more momentum before they can get something out.

That does look like a popup flash... I suspect the final version will look even more like the GF1/E-PL1

Cheers

Brian

5. SimplyEd

SimplyEd Mu-43 Regular

Feb 10, 2010
    Philippines
    yeh.. no hotsoe = dealbreaker (atleast for me)

6. kai.e.g.

kai.e.g. Mu-43 Regular

The Olympus mock-up of what eventually became the E-P1 was terribly ugly, too (to my taste). And it was so far removed from the final product in appearance, that I'd have to think the same would be true of this Sony.

7. Brian Mosley

Dec 15, 2009
    Yes, the 'tobacco tin' prototype from Olympus was horrendous... the E-P1 was a revelation in comparison :yahoo:

Cheers

Brian

8. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    We knew it had to happen and Sony was likely the the least locked in to do such a thing. But how far from reality this is, is another thing, Samsung hasn't shown anything since its revelation some time ago. Maybe thinking about doing this is a lot easier than actually doing it. I also agree that APS-C is going to be a big hurdle in terms of keeping everything small. I don't think the fact that it may be more difficult/impossible to use some legacy lenses with this is a hurdle; it just isolates a small portion of the camera market.

If nothing else, this should rev up Olympus/Panasonic.

Cheers

Ray

9. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    My first thought was it has a pop-up flash above the lens mount but looking again is there really room for anything to be recessed with the "mount" (such as it is, doesn't look like a mount - more a mock of where the mount is expected to be) extending so near the top of the body?

I think it's more a statement of intent which deliberately gives very little away. If it's anything else then I'm decidedly underwhelmed. :rolleyes:

10. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Probably just left out on the concept model, but a lack of a hot shoe would alienate many enthusiasts.

Since they notified us of their intent to enter the market in 2010, I'm surprised at the lack of details. At this stage of the game, we already knew that Panasonic had a 20/1.7, yet the basic specs of the above concept lenses is unclear. The three lenses shown look to be a standard zoom, a normal (or possibly wide) prime, and some sort of hulking beast accidentally borrowed from their DSLR product display :biggrin:.

11. cosinaphile

cosinaphile Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city
    ugly in the same Olympus prototype-y sort of way , if sony made some solid beautiful machine like the contax g1 or the xpan with some sensibly sized lenses , then im in

but im very pessimistic that the machine they'll eventually produce will be an object of desire , im hopeing im proved wrong , what i see , seems a bad joke

12. Razer

Razer Mu-43 Regular

Feb 1, 2010
    Wigan
    Thing is with Sony they make about 20 versions of this camera, with only slight difference between each model, to try and flood the market.

They already doing this with their DSLR's, which doesn't seem to be working.

Things will properly hot up when Nikon & Canon get in on the game with their version's.

13. Brian Mosley

Dec 15, 2009
    • Like Like x 2
  14. ajramirez

ajramirez Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 16, 2010
    Caguas, Puerto Rico
    Dreams of a digital Contax G never die, do they? :smile:

Cheers,

Antonio

15. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    well if you watch this you can see how really much of a mock up these things are

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRK-DxE4CHA

watch at 1:06 when he removes the lens... he dosn't press the obvious lens release button, nor does he twist the lens

and the close up at 1:43 shows no camera/lens connectors and no sort of bayonet mechanism to lock the lens on

Maybe Sony are doing something clever... or these are really just mockups to get some news coverage

K

16. soundimageplus

soundimageplus Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 2, 2010
    Worcestershire
    Sony

Amazing. Its the first magnetic lens mount!!!!

I hereby christen this camera the "bar of soap"

17. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    I think what will hurt the system is that I doubt lenses for Samsung will work for Sony and Vice versa since they are two different mounts. This is whats always bothered me in general about APS-C format is there is a Nikon, Canon, Sony, and Pentax mount.

Dj

18. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Hey Kevin,

How right you are, it looks as if the lens is held on with magnets as when he placed it close to the body you could almost hear what sounded like a metal on metal thunk and as there was no button pressing or lens turning, I can only assume it was magnetic.

Good sized sensor and once more, the influence and success of the micro 4/3rds has pushed others to make something along the same lines.

Have to wait and see what the finished version is like though and what Canikon come up with?

19. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    Magnetism? :rofl:

Whoops! Beaten to it - didn't notice the thread had a second page! (Where's the smilie for embarassment when you edit a post?)

20. Brian S

Brian S Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 11, 2009