Sony sensor? You're joking, right?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by meyerweb, Jul 5, 2012.

1. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    Did anyone actually read the purported news report that led to this belief? A machine translation of Japanese text that says:

"Olympus <7733> President Hiroyuki Sasa of two days, to "OM-DE-M5" the latest product of the digital camera type "mirror-less" with no reflector, Sony <6758> clearly that it has adopted the image sensor made ​​of was. The answers to the questions of reporters in the presentation of new products bamboo biological microscope president was held in Tokyo on the same day."

In truth, this is so garbled it's meaningless in English. But if there's any logical reading of this gobbledygook, it's that the "biological microscope" introduced the same day as Sasa's press conference has a Sony sensor. The reference to the OM-D is only saying that this microscope is the latest product from the same company that makes the mirrorless OM-DE-M5.

For thousand of people to reach the conclusion that the OM-D has a Sony sensor based on this is laughable. Are OM-D owners so desperate to know for sure that it isn't from Panasonic that they'll believe anything they read on the internet that supports that belief?

Seriously, it's a great camera, regardless of who makes the sensor. But there's simply no more evidence of who that company is today than there was last month.
  2. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    I like that new bamboo biological microscope. Seems to be biodegradable, no?

3. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    meyerweb, are you having a bad day? If you read the Japanese, you will see it states the OM-D uses a Sony sensor. So to actually state that a bad machine translation is wrong is a little far fetched when all you need to do is read the original.
    • Like Like x 2
  4. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    BTW, that is simply a biological microscope.
  5. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Is this going to be another "Us vs them" thread? :rolleyes:
  6. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    Here is the title of the article:

How can that not be clearer? "Olympus, mirrorless with Sony made sensor used "CMOS field it is the worlds best" says company president." If you want a rough literal translation.
  7. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
  8. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    • Like Like x 1
  9. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    Why is there so much hate for Sony?
    • Like Like x 1
  10. bcaslis

bcaslis Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 3, 2011
    Wilsonville, OR, USA
    Brian Caslis
    I don't understand the reactions I've seen multiple places about this. Sony currently is making the best sensors and is heavily used by others including Nikon. I think this fantastic news for both Olympus and the E-M5. I can't seen why anyone would want a product using something less capable.
    • Like Like x 6
  11. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    I don't see any Sony-hate here, just some confusion/misunderstanding over a Japanese-English translation...
  12. JimmyK

JimmyK Mu-43 Regular

Apr 11, 2012
    Seattle, WA
    James Knodell
    This is right up there with all the palaver over who makes which components for the iPad. Who cares? As long as it performs beautifully, I wouldn't care if the sensor was made by Mattel.
    • Like Like x 2
  13. ptolemyx

ptolemyx Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 19, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    I agree. If only the planet had some Japanese people to confirm the original report... :rolleyes:
  14. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    I think this is terrible! All the Sony haters Should unload their terrible OMD's junk cameras immediately at a price that reflects their quality!!! :rofl:

So let me get this straight the camera was amazing until people found out it might have a Sony sensor:confused:
    • Like Like x 2
  15. s2kinfinite

s2kinfinite Mu-43 Regular

Apr 14, 2012
    I love 2 LCDs at home etc....just not a fan of Nex 7....I think OMD is amazing it could be made by Samsung too which also makes chips for Sony TV I think...
  16. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    I think it's more that the acknowledgement of the Sony sensor verifies that it's not just wishful thinking and some of those who wanted to think it was the same sensor as the G3 and GX1 lose a prime talking point.

• Like Like x 3
  17. troll

troll Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 25, 2012
    They've got focus peaking and we don't. :dash2:
    • Like Like x 1
  18. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    I vote for a fuji sensor in the GH3:hail:
    • Like Like x 1
  19. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    I have no hate for Sony. But the initial report was based on a totally unreadable machine translation, and that's all I saw referred to. If, in fact, Japanese speakers say the above is a valid translation, then I apologize.

I still don't think it matters much who made it. What matters is how it performs, which is quite well.
  20. st3v4nt

st3v4nt Mu-43 Veteran

May 26, 2011
    Jakarta, Indonesia
    I don't care if my OM-D sensor was made by Sony or Canon or Panasonic as long as it gives me the performance and durability I need. Outside the sensor there are some feature I hope Olympus will put their effort into current OM-D rather than act mysteriously about who made their sensor.