1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Sony RX100- New player in high end P&S with 1" Sensor

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by Bhupinder2002, Jun 6, 2012.

1. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

• Like Like x 2
  2. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    The bandwagon is getting bigger and bigger and closer to Mu43 format!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Bhupinder2002

Lol ahahhaah

4. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Yep, I can hear the music! Gonna be interesting to see how all of this plays out for low end DSLRs in the next few years. :cool:

5. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    It's a crazy resolution Nikon 1-sized sensor in a very appealingly designed body. I don't really see how mu43 factors into this. It is a very interesting compact cam proposition, though. On paper, better than any of the other options on the market - I even think the LX5 and XZ1 are too big for compacts compared to mu43. This is appreciably smaller and I can see it fulfilling a niche.

Still, I'd rather spend the 650 dollars on some new glass right now :)

6. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Actually,
    The larger sensored Foveon in a small body (Sigma DP1) was the first out... even relesased before all Micro Four Thirds bodies - so you could debate that everyone is catching up to the large Foveon sensor :biggrin: :tongue:

Edit:
    And now the upcoming Sigma DP1M/DP2M will have the larger SD1 Foveon sensor (approx APS-C sized) in their small bodies :smile:

7. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    • Like Like x 2
  8. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    I think this is the most exciting compact camera in years. Unlike Canon G1 X, it's truly pocket-sized. The sensor is smaller, but the lens is faster. The control layout and menus look very good — much better than the NEX series cameras!

I think I will buy the RX100 eventually.

• Like Like x 1
  9. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Imaging Resource has a reasonably extensive review.

Operating speed and AF performance are close to or better than the Panasonic LX5. Good controls. Excellent LCD. Menus look decent, if overlong (does anybody do good menus?).

Raising the bar as it were. Should be interesting to see how the upcoming LX7 and XZ-2 attempt to match up, not to mention Canon's response, as this camera seems a direct move against their popular Powershot S series.

DH

10. Bhupinder2002

It looks like a great little camera and I was wondering of this is the same sensor which Nikon is using in series 1 as size is the same and we all know that Sony supplies sensors to Nikon .I may be wrong but just a guess
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

11. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    It looks great! Not sure why Sony chose to stick 20 mp in it though. If it's an enthusiast camera, they should know that most enthusiasts know about the limitations of cramming too many mp's in a small sensor.

12. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    I agree, Armando; my first reaction to this otherwise attractive offering was, "20 megapixels? Why??" I can't think of many instances where I'd want that large a file from a P&S zoom.... If it were a fixed focal length camera, I might argue for some leeway to crop, but...

13. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    No. Nikon uses a 10MP sensor fabricated by Aptina. Sony uses a 20MP sensor designed and built by Sony Semiconductor. Aside from size, they have nothing in common.

DH

14. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    Anyone think that the shape and lines make it look like a mini-M rangefinder?

I wonder if Richard will make a grip for it. Hope so!

15. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    interesting camera. a friend of was just asking which pocket camera to buy. I usually always say Canon S100 but this seems more appealing although quite a bit more expensive. I'd be interested to know how is the colors, AWB, jpeg engine, etc.
    Now we can clearly see how incredibly oversized Nikon 1 lenses really are.

16. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    It's Sony, no need to pay anything close to MSRP. I've never paid more than 50% of MSRP for anything from Sony.

17. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    You and me both.
    That's why I'm choosing to get the M. Zuiko 75mm instead of the OM-D E-M5 :smile:

18. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    Wow that's pretty impressive..seems like it is a far more attractive choice than the s95/100.

My XZ1 is also feeling a bit jealous but at least it has a longer reach and is much faster through the range to help make up for the sensor size.

This part makes me facepalm for pana/oly though.

"The 3-inch LCD is pretty nice, a 1,229K-dot design they call Xtra Fine LCD."

19. lenshoarder

Nov 7, 2010
    Here's most of a full on review. They have all their standard tests so you can see actual shots from it but stay tuned for a conclusion. Better than a super P&S like a S100 but not as good as a NEX. Pretty much as expected.

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 Camera - Review

I guess it's a lot closer to debuting than a rumor.

20. lenshoarder

Nov 7, 2010
    That LCD also has "WhiteMagic". You know how the new sensors have clear filters to boost low light performance. "WhiteMagic" is the same for a LCD display by having white pixels to boost brightness.