1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Sony RX100, a M43 killer?

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by lenshoarder, Jul 15, 2012.

1. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    "The number of rival cameras the RX100 completely destroys is quite astonishing. Say goodbye to your Canon S100, Fuji X10, Canon G1X, Nikon 1, Olympus PEN, Lumix GF3 with X power zoom. The RX100 is a better all-rounder than all of these cameras and significantly smaller (with lens) than any current mirrorless offering."

Surprisingly, this review was posted by the editor of the Canon EOS forum.

Sony RX100 review | EOSHD.com

2. applemint

applemint Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2012
    Not sure how many people are going to be willing to pay £550 for a compact camera though - that makes it more than twice the price of a Canon S95, Olympus XZ or GF3/EPM1.

3. marcusmichaels

marcusmichaels Mu-43 Regular

Jul 10, 2012
    London
    Marcus Michaels
    It does look good. As for a M43 killer? For that price, the lack of interchangeable lenses alone is enough to put that to bed IMO.

• Like Like x 1
  4. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    I saw that review as well. A lot of over-hype on this camera right now. No threat to m4/3. Not the same market.

It does seem like it is well ahead of the other advanced compacts, though, and price is maybe the only thing that will keep it from completely owning that space.

5. 0dBm

0dBm Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 30, 2011
    Western United States
    Sounds promising. I am considering the Canon S100 for ULTRA low-profile concert footage capturing capability; however, this may be a better implement for that task.

6. pheaukus

pheaukus Mu-43 Regular

Jun 22, 2012
    Not so surprising maybe: to many EOS owners the mentioned cameras belong to the group of 'pocketable go around' alternatives their EOS. This has little to do with functionality or extensibility and much with size and weight.

If he is looking for the most pocketable all-around he may leave the CSCs out of his list IMHO. They don't have the all-around fast zooms of high-end compacts but can mount a wide range of lens choices.
    (my personal definition of compact: it has a built-in automatic lens cap)

7. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    m4/3 killer? No. S100/LX5 killer? Maybe. X10/G1X killer? A stretch.

DSLR killer? I wonder.

8. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    A lot of hype is right, but the RX100 is a great choice for a lot of people. Most people who buy an interchangeable lens camera and never add a second lens beyond the kit zoom would do well to consider it.

• Like Like x 2
  9. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
  10. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    Then this review probably has a lot more relevance for you. The person who wrote it is a filmmaker and thus he's reviewing it with that mindset.

"Would I consider intercutting RX100 footage with 1080p from a pro Super 35mm cinema camera? Yes I would."

"Depending on how challenging the shot and the scene, you can intercut footage from the FS100, FS700 or $15,000 Canon C300 with the little RX100 quite happily."

Also, he seems quite happy to have discovered Sony's handheld twilight mode. I shake my head at most reviewers that gloss over it as a gimmick. Most review sites don't even bother posting any sample shots of it in action. From personal experience on various Sony cameras that have it, it's a "game changer". It works really really well. It's magical. I've tried to spoof it by doing some crazy stuff and it takes it in stride. Commenting on a camera with HTW without utilizing that mode is drastically understating that camera's low light performance.

11. pheaukus

pheaukus Mu-43 Regular

Jun 22, 2012
    I'm afraid customers may take into account the price of interchangeable lenses as well...

12. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    Fully agree. But I've thought that with previous cameras of this type. I've long thought that an LX5 or S90 was probably a better call for someone thinking about a lower end m43 or even a lot of low end DSLR's who were never gonna use anything but kit lenses. Then the X10 raised the bar and now the RX100 raises it that much more. There are a lot of folks shooting interchangeable lens cameras without ever changing a lens. These cameras have been good alternatives for a while and are making more and more every day.

-Ray

• Like Like x 5
  13. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    You are soooo spot on here! :bravo-009: :thumbup:

I've lost count of how many times I've seen DSLR and MILC shooters shooting with a kit 18-55 or 14-42 lens and nothing else....

14. krugorg

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    I should have qualified my hype comment... meant relative to the OP's quote from EOSHD. I don't see the camera as a replacement for m4/3. It would be complementary, in my opinion.

I do think it looks pretty great, but I am guessing the new LX, GRD and XZ cameras, assuming we will see larger sensors, will be very good as well.

I agree with you that kit zoom CSC purchasers could be better off with a compact. I am just not sure how many people fall in that category. At least in the US, and the non-enthusiast people I know, they are either looking for a compact (probably somewhat replaced by smartphones) or a DSLR for kids sports, etc. I just don't think compact systems are on their radar (yet).

15. 0dBm

0dBm Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 30, 2011
    Western United States
    I shot footage of a well-known act at a popular LA club during mid-September last year. I was hired by the act's manager to do what is called "guerilla shooting;" a low-profile shooting technique sans video light, tripod, gimbal, or even a camera "neck" strap.

What the manager told me was that the act disliked being "filmed" at short distances. She is older now and the ravages of time have not been kind to her.

I was using my GF1, 20mm, video light, and microphone on a Fig Rig.

I shot 12 minutes into her 55-minute set before she noticed me and my "steering wheel," recognized the task, and had two, massive security guards ask me to cease and desist.

I got begrudgingly paid nonetheless; however, I returned the payment since I didn't finish the task (tho no fault of my own). I made a friend of the manager and she promised to hire me each and every time her client performed locally. She is returning for a Christmas festival. I'll likely need to get something like if not the Sony RX100.

16. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Perhaps you would have gone by un-noticed if you had not used the "Fig rig"...

17. krugorg

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    That thing is awesome looking, but yeah, maybe not so inconspicuous! :rofl:

Hmmm... wonder if you used a Nintendo Mario racing wheel instead?

18. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    That's how I took it, and I agree with you. This is no [insert interchangeable lens system here] killer. I didn't read the EOSHD article, but I know that site to have a tendency to sometimes overhype new cameras.

19. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Ah...
    Can we also state the overhype of the OMD E-M5 as being a killer to..... [insert any system name here] :smile:
    (And I point the mass murder online that occurs when someone says they do NOT like the OMD) :wink:

• Like Like x 2
  20. marcusmichaels

marcusmichaels Mu-43 Regular

Jul 10, 2012
    London
    Marcus Michaels
    That's very true. In which case this looks like a good choice, but still, for the price, I'd probably see myself going for a Canon S100.