1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Sony RX10 - 937.00 @Adorama Open Box Full Warranty

Discussion in 'Hot Deals - Find a Great Deal? Share It Here.' started by BigCTM, Dec 20, 2013.

1. BigCTM

BigCTM Mu-43 Regular

Feb 16, 2012
  2. Serhan

Serhan Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 7, 2011
    NYC
    It's been at that price last couple days. I guess they have a lot in stock so they can sell it cheaper by calling open box...

3. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    Connecticut
    I think it is a hard sell for a lot of consumers. They don't know the advantages of a camera like this vs. a 40x superzoom or entrly level DSLR with kit lens -- which they can get for half the price. Though the real appeal is video with the RX10.

4. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    All true. But I would think many enthusiasts would be motivated by the sub-$1,000 price.

5. yakky

yakky Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    How big is that thing in real life? Looks as big as an SLR, if so I'd rather roll with a D3200 and a 18-270 superzoom and save a few bucks, have better IQ and reliable C-AF.

6. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    Count me as one of those folks. I don't see the purpose of permanently affixing a $1000 lens on a ~$200 body, so that when the body becomes obsolete, the investment in the lens also goes down the tubes.

7. madogvelkor

Feb 22, 2013
    Connecticut
    It is slightly smaller than a GH3 with the 12-35 attached. Except that the lens on the RX10 has twice the range.

8. BigCTM

BigCTM Mu-43 Regular

Feb 16, 2012
    I am tired of switching lenses. I am hoping to use this as my only camera. I ordered it today and received a shipping notification already.

9. BigCTM

BigCTM Mu-43 Regular

Feb 16, 2012
    The D3200 with 18-270 will be quite a bit larger. Plus the lens on the 18-270 is not weather sealed. And you miss out on the constant 2.8 lens...

• Like Like x 1
  10. carpandean

carpandean Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 29, 2010
    Western NY
    • Like Like x 2
  11. BernieT

BernieT New to Mu-43

Nov 13, 2013
    SW WA
    $937 today plus now with free 1 day shipping!

I purchased one it is in route to me. I had purchased a new G6 with 2 lens kit and have been using for the last 2 weeks but find difficult to use for video with the manual zoom, also see need for faster lens so my costs will for end up exceeded the Adorama RX100 deal. I think using the RX10 for video will be much better with the power zoom; as I also have a RX100, like that camera and image quality and am use to Sony menu system - RX10 setup seems to be very similar including most with button locations.

The size of RX10 verses my G6 and longer lens is about the same; RX10 weights about 4-5oz more.

We will see!!
    Per my wife - ""one needs to go back - G6 or RX10!! - YOU DO NOT NEED 3 CAMERA"S"" !!:):)

NOTE: See today they have added free 1 day shipping which is $40 savings.

12. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    I have to say that I'm surprised that Sony is letting Adorama sell this thing as such a huge discount. Normally a manufacturer's refurb with a shortened warranty would only have a 15-20% discount, while this is basically being sold at a 28% discount with full warranty.

13. Ranger Rick

Ranger Rick Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 11, 2009
    Tempe, AZ
    Rick
    Sounds from above like these are not actually refurbs, but new. Given the short length of time these have been out, would be surprised there are that many refurbs. If they are seriously not moving, perhaps Adorama asked Sony to take them back if they valued the relationship, and Sony said no, but how about... I've not seen anything like this deal anywhere else.

14. youry

youry Mu-43 Regular

Nov 9, 2010
    Winston Salem, NC
    Interesting camera but for that kind of money Sony should have used a NEX sensor. $1300 for a point and shoot is outrageous. Sony is not Leica to demand a premium. I'm not even surprised they don't sell many.

15. BigCTM

BigCTM Mu-43 Regular

Feb 16, 2012
    The RX10 is alot more than a point and shoot. You clearly do not understand the power of this camera.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Mu-43 mobile app

16. youry

youry Mu-43 Regular

Nov 9, 2010
    Winston Salem, NC
    Trust me, I know what a point and shoot is. It even has an iA mode :)
    To me the $1300 is still outrageous.

17. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sale is over I guess! Normally I wouldn't care about a Sony but this camera was just listed as the #3 best video camera by Jordan of the Camera Store. Starts at 2:25
    [video=youtube;pGvaRh3Zcss]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGvaRh3Zcss#t=138[/video]

18. BigCTM

BigCTM Mu-43 Regular

Feb 16, 2012
    Show me another point and shoot with a 24-200mm F2.8 lens, a 1" sensor, a built in neutral density filter, RAW, full manual modes, 10 FPS high speed shooting, an aperture ring on the front, weather sealed lens, 60P video with full sensor read out, etc.

You can't. It's in a class by itself. Go price a constant F2.8 zoom lens and you will see that it is not really that expensive.

• Like Like x 1
  19. zapatista

zapatista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Denver, Colorado, USA
    Mike
    It's too big, overpriced and doesn't have a full frame sensor like the A7r. You'd think that Sony could make it smaller. Sorry, i just couldn't resist sounding like a dork.

20. madogvelkor

Feb 22, 2013
    Connecticut
    In some ways it is really a large sensor video camera shaped like a DSLR.