1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Sony Rx1 vs OMD Em-5 and Lieca 25mm f/1.4

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by littleMT, Jan 26, 2013.

1. littleMT

littleMT Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 8, 2012
    Lucille Sanchez
    Took out both of these cameras for some nightshots, this was the 1st time using the Rx1 and Em-5 in a nightshot setting, even though I have done this with other cameras, there is still a learning curve for me, and things I could have done better.

I love both cameras, the Sony Rx1 is absolutely incredible, I read complaint after complaint about it, and why people wouldn't buy it, but being that my E-pl1's were my favorite cameras, the Rx1's shortcomings didn't faze me a bit.

In fact, in some ways its like a HIGH HORSEPOWER E-pl1 to me, so it has come natural and easy to use so far. Now that remark can be taken as a insult to the Rx1, but to me, it is rather a huge compliment to the wonderful lean mean picture taking machine, the E-PL1.

The OMD Em-5 paired with the Panny Leica 25mm f/1.4 is also incredible and a deadly combo. OFTEN where I see noise in my e-pl1 shots the OMD is clean.

The OMD in fact caused me to forever break my ties with Canon, once I saw how I could do some lowlight handheld shots due to its 5 axis IS, the T4i had to go, and it did!

My current gear list is 2 E-pl1's, OMD Em-5 and a bunch of lenses, Sony A65, Sony Rx100, and the incredible Sony Rx1 full frame powerhouse. It is sometimes odd for me, not having anything Canon, as thats what I lived by for many years...

The Sony Rx1 seems a hair smaller then the OMD...

Now for this matchup, these shots were done in the darkness, and it was dark, even though the images don't display that due to long shutter speeds, neither camera had any issue aquiring focus, albeit I do manual focus on a stationary target, the Rx1 though was easier in this regard due to focus peaking.

1st up, Sony Rx1:

Sony Rx1, f/2.0, ISO250, 8 sec.
    0125-1.

Sony Rx1, f/4.5, ISO800, 8 sec.
    0125-3.

Sony Rx1, f/2.0, ISO250, 8 sec.
    0125-4.

Sony Rx1, f/2.8, ISO320, 25 sec.
    0125-6.

Now the Olympus OMD Em-5.

Omd E-m5, f/1.4, ISO200, 8 sec.
    0125-7.

Omd E-m5, f/2.2, ISO200, 15 sec.
    8413714212_331aa7e4be_o.

Omd E-m5, f/1.4, ISO200, 13 sec.
    8413714496_3678f61713_o.

Omd E-m5, f/1.4, ISO200, 13 sec.
    0125-8.

This isn't some scentific comparison and isn't meant to, it was just us out having fun with the gear learning....

IMHO, both cameras did steller.....it's the camera operator that can use some polishing....

• Like Like x 16
  2. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Camera-shmamera. I just love the car and the shots.

3. Vivalo

Vivalo Olympus Loser

Nov 16, 2010
    Finland
    Cool car shots, as always! :bravo-009:

4. macalterego

macalterego Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 10, 2012
    Lawrence, KS
    Jeffrey McPheeters
    Incredible. The Sony shots look more 'film' like to me. The OM has perhaps a sharper lens and the colors seem a little cooler and, for the subject, a tad more pleasing. Great angles and lighting. If you ever figure out a way to light the undercarriage to remove the ground shadow, I think it would be worth investigating to see if it's an improvement or not. Thanks for sharing.

5. littleMT

littleMT Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 8, 2012
    Lucille Sanchez
    we have done some under carriage lighting, it was as simple as having another person hit that area only with a small led torch.

I don't care for the effect, as I prefer dark shadows in a nightshot, I like to light paint with my torch held high and angled down towards the car, as if it were being lit by a ufo.

Off camera strobes would also light the car better and avoid some shadow areas, but again I prefer to have shadow areas, the e-pl1 always had tons of noise in the shadow areas, the OMD and Sony don't.

so in summary, the shadow and dark areas are in my images by design, not saying its the only way to do this, but it is my preference, my son on the other hand whom often is with me, likes the subject more lit and isn't a fan of the shadows as much as I.

6. m1gru

m1gru New to Mu-43

Jan 26, 2013
    Great shots. The RX1 images look like they are from an ad. The OMD images look like they are from a review.

• Like Like x 1
  7. ShrubMonkey

ShrubMonkey Mu-43 Regular

Apr 6, 2012
    To me on an artistic level the OMD shots look much better than the RX1 images, beautiful lowlight work.

8. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Very good pictures, thanks for explaining the process so well.

I should try something like that.

9. tdekany

tdekany Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 8, 2011
    Oregon
    if you don't mind me asking, have you ever seen one out there in the desert?

Your pictures are fantastic as always. :2thumbs::2thumbs::2thumbs:

10. macalterego

macalterego Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 10, 2012
    Lawrence, KS
    Jeffrey McPheeters
    Great comparison.

11. NJH

NJH Mu-43 Regular

Mar 8, 2012
    South West England
    • Like Like x 1
  12. tdekany

tdekany Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 8, 2011
    Oregon
    • Like Like x 1
  13. littleMT

littleMT Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 8, 2012
    Lucille Sanchez

truth be told honey, I am from the planet Rockabilly.

14. tdekany

tdekany Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 8, 2011
    Oregon
    You would make a good politician :) :biggrin:

15. littleMT

littleMT Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 8, 2012
    Lucille Sanchez
    Yes, I do have a regret about the Rx1, I REGRET NOT BUYING IT EVEN SOONER.

• Like Like x 1
  16. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Something about the way the RX1 renders the paint and reflections I find really striking. RX1, E-M5, Camaro. . . Lots of toys there (Hey Mods, we need a"Drooling" smilie).

17. enzodiac

enzodiac Mu-43 Regular

Aug 7, 2012
    Sweden
    Andreas Fougner
    Nice to see some comparison between the two. I would never be able to tell the difference between the two witout the text.

One odd thing though is the dof. Have you done some post processing to these?

18. littleMT

littleMT Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 8, 2012
    Lucille Sanchez
    only pp is some contrast, brightness and resizing...

19. enzodiac

enzodiac Mu-43 Regular

Aug 7, 2012
    Sweden
    Andreas Fougner
    I see! I think I found the "problem". The first image is f2 with blurred stars. Third image says f2 as well although the stars are sharp. But looking closer at exif data it says f4.5 on the third one so it makes sense ;)

20. DynaSport

DynaSport Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 5, 2013
    Dan
    Beautiful shots. I find nothing in the photos to chose one camera over the other. Choosing one camera over the other would have to be based on other factors than which produced better photos here.