1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Sony RX1 Full frame compact!

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by jiroumi, Sep 12, 2012.

1. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    He was saying a few days ago that he had some special meet with Sony.

2. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Can't blame me here...:wink::biggrin::tongue:

3. yumyum001

yumyum001 Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 5, 2012
    I so want this bad boy, although at $2800, I will have to seriously rethink this through... Why can't Sony make affordable full frame that's more geared towards prosumers?

Has anybody seen any picture of the back of this camera? Seems like there are only images of the front and top of the camera? I want to know if they have corrected the awesomely placed HDMI port on the RX100?

4. kartonos

kartonos Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 4, 2012
    $590 for optical view finder?!? not even electronic view finder at that price! *gulp*

5. trondkj

trondkj Mu-43 Rookie

May 8, 2012
    It's a Zeiss, you know :biggrin:

6. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    It has a manual aperature ring on the lens. Finally. It took Sony to do it. It would be worthy of accolade on a DSLR lens. On a compact? Wow.

7. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    The camera looks nice, but at that price point, I guess I can only salivate over it...

Sony is really taking on each and every segment of the camera world this year, with the RX100, RX1, A99, NEX6, etc...

8. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    Fuji's been doing this for a year and a half or so, with both fixed and interchangeable lenses.

-Ray

9. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    I'm very, very interested.

Only things I don't like is the cost of the EVF (I don't mind that's it's not in-built, I just don't want to pay another $600 for it) and the non-included lens hood - ffs it's a $2800 camera!

10. zap

zap Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 23, 2012
    uk
    mouth watering... but too pricey for me...

11. veereshai

veereshai Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 12, 2011
    Arlington, VA
    So am I, but will probably buy it only in 2014. The only problem is that by the time I can afford a camera like that, something new always has to hit the market. Just when I was thinking I'll buy the X100 this christmas, Sony has to do this to me :(.

12. littleMT

littleMT Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 8, 2012
    Lucille Sanchez
    hmmm..............

13. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Wow ...Thanks for alerting us RT Panther ..
    This looks like an affordable dream machine . I think they should have included VF free with camera. Sony is marching ahead at lightening speed . Nikon and Canon have to watch Sony very carefully .
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

14. Salc64

Salc64 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 24, 2012
    New York. USA
    Sal
    I'm sorry but I can't justify paying that kind of money and being limited to a fixed 35mm lense. Maybe if they charged another 500 and had a fixed 12-35 f2. Or $1000 less and was a body only. I know Sony offers the a99 for those who want an interchangeable option but I don't think the a99 is anywere as compact. Still looks like a fun camera.

15. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    Not to mention the VG900 and VG30 FF and aps-c dedicated camcorders, the onslaught is pretty impressive to say the least. Too bad there aren't a dozen new lenses to match the half dozen (or more?) different new cameras. As always, definitely good to see competition in the market.

16. Uwharrie

Uwharrie Mu-43 Veteran

May 10, 2012
    North Carolina
    Lynne Ezzell
    Fixed lens is a deal breaker for me at that price point.

17. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    I won't be buying it, but it opens up some interesting possibilties. Perhaps the road to an interchangeable lens fullframe system that's not Leica.

18. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    To be fair, they did announce a 10-18/f4 ultra-wide, 35/f1.8 normal prime, and 16-50 pancake - all lenses that the E-mount desperately needed...

Anyway, I've been pondering this release a bit more and I've had a couple of thoughts... Excepting the price, which is a hard pill to swollow, this is a release seemingly tailer made to my kind of shooting style. I've been shooting almost solely with a single prime (Nokton 25mm) for the last year or so, and I prefer the 35mm FoV, so the fixed lens aspect doesn't bother me. I love the look you get with a fast, 'normal-wide' on full-frame, for me this is the only real weakness of MFT. I like simple, clean and focussed design - yeah I could get a D800 and 35/f2 for not much more, and it would do a whole lot of things the RX1 couldn't, but it would also do a whole lot of things I dont want or need it to do. For me you pay money for quality, not quantity - and a Zeiss lens attached to a Sony chip and electronics sounds like bloody good quality to me :smile:

I'd like to shell out the cash for this, and I'm even considering it as my sole companion on a 6-month Silk Road trip next year, but I'll be waiting to see how it stacks up with a few real world issues that actually affect the way I use a camera:

- Sensor and lens quality (obviously) - you're paying a lot of money for a tool which isn't really about anything else. This has to be amazing.

- AF speed and accuracy. Don't give a toodle about C-AF but I want S-AF to be faultless. CDAF has come a long way.

- MF feel - Fuji did a great job showing how badly manual focus-by-wire can be implimented. Likewise Pan/Oly have shown that it doesn't need to be an issue. I'd also like to see a practical way to pre-set zone-focus, as I'd use this for street alot.

- Aperture-ring feel - probably the #1 reason I have zero interest in the X-Pro 1 - it feels like a plastic toy from the '80s...

- User interface - I haven't used a Sony since the A100 and I want to see if it will let me do what I want to do without getting in the way...

• Like Like x 1
  19. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    That is very very cool! It's too expensive for my blood, it's fixed lens, it'll probably have some "version 1.0" issues... but it's still cool to see a FF compact camera, and if Sony's recent sensors are any indication I expect it will have some pretty amazing output.