1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Sony QX1 or Olympus EPL-5?

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by acmilan77051, Dec 13, 2014.

1. acmilan77051

acmilan77051 Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 2, 2014
    Sorry for the wild difference between my choices! Actually a few months back, i was really excited about buying a EPL-5, due to the IBIS capability, thinking it would help me in low light shots, as i'm going to use the EPL-5 with adapted lens, so no OIS. And i'm just a beginner. For that, i even bought a 27$ Canon FD 50mm f/1.8 lens from ebay. But somehow my EPL_5 dream didn't materialize back then. So i was left with a lens, but no camera. But recently i'm again thinking about getting one, but seeing the QX1 with it's ability to use and pair it my smartphone, my interest has shifted to it, with adapter i can use my canon 50mm with this. But QX1 also doesn't have IBIS capability like other Sony mirrorless options, i'm going to take a lot of shots in low-light indoor conditions, so i think any sort of image stabilization would help a great deal. And As I don't have a lens with OIS or dont' have any plans to buy a native e-mount lens as they're very expensive, so i'll be using my cam with adapted lens, but really i'm also open to advises whether i actually do need IBIS for low-light shooting or not. If i don't need IBIS, i think i'll go for QX1, to use it with my smartphone, yeah a bit unwieldy, but still i really care about the quick wifi sharing options from my Android. If i have to sacrifice the sharing option, i know i can get them in a6000 and NEX-5t and other sony cameras, but rather than them, i might go for EPL-5 due to it's IBIS. I don't know, i'm really confused. Hope you guys can help me take a decision. Thanks.
    Please Note:
    1. my budget is 500$, no more.
    2. I'll take a lot of low-light indoor photos.
    3. I already have a legacy lens.
    4. I really do care about Wifi and NFC and IBIS

Sorry i'm really new to photography, your care is all i got. So forgive me if there's any error or things along that line. Thanks

2. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Your choice of e-pL5 has been superceded by the e-pL7 in the IBIS stakes : here's a very small body which contains the really good IBIS of the newer generation larger bodies.
    It is also introduced at a sensibly low retail price.
    Go for it! (I think it also has improved WIFI etc etc)

3. acmilan77051

acmilan77051 Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 2, 2014
    Yeah i noticed, but the EPL-7 is 600$. Even 500$ is a stretch for me. So i don't know how am i gonna manage 600. But i admit except the portability advantage of QX1, with EPL-7 i gain in every other department. I have to also keep an eye to my budget too. So let's see what i can manage. Thanks for the advice. I just wish i could move forward with the purchase. This indecision is killing me :(

4. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    One of the criticisms that I've heard about the QX series is that the app isn't all that great. The specs may be good but the UX may be a hindrance.