1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Sony pulling stores from Canada

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by tomO2013, Jan 16, 2015.

1. tomO2013

tomO2013 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 28, 2013
    I posted this in talkemount as well...

This was announced yesterday (we saw the same in a few smaller european countries 2 years back)...

http://globalnews.ca/news/1774831/so...across-canada/

Very very sad news - I've recently bought some gear from the Sony store in Canada whom I found to be extremely helpful and knowledgeable.

The availability of Sony stores was a large part of the reason why I considered picking up a Sony in the first place - it's reassuring to be able to just walk into a brick and mortar store if you have an issue.

It looks like the camera division is doing extremely well for Sony - but the big losses dragging the company down were on the mobile and television side of things. As an electronics company, I believe that a few years back Sony dropped the ball in letting LG and Samsung muscle in on their once 'premium' tv area. I remember in the 80's when you would buy a Sony because it was the best built consumer electronics company - sort of like the 'perceived' Apple of it's day.

I do think it has forced Sony to be a more aggressively innovative company in other divisions recently (cameras, playstation, action cams). On the camera side, products like the A7 series in their camera division and a fairly innovative lens lineup and offering for photo and video makes their camera offerings at least very compelling from a hobbyist/prosumer/pro perspective.

The problem is that this is still an overall small sector related to their TV, hifi, home theatre and mobile divisions.

Pulling brick and mortar stores will not be a good thing for brand awareness as Samsung and LG look to dominate even more into the living room.

Thoughts and prayers are with the employees loosing their jobs. I've always had only really great experiences with the Sony Canada guys that I have dealt with. I hope they are well looked after in redundancy packages and find new jobs soon.

2. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    Graham
    The writing's been on the wall for a year or so. Sony closed their store on W. Broadway in Vancouver a year back after at least 15 years in the same location. There are only 14 Sony stores nationwide. The marketplace won't even notice when they're gone. The upcoming Target withdrawal from Canada won't impact much of anything.
    Best Buy isn't doing great in Canada either. A friend works at the Cambie & 6th location and told me it was the only one in BC doing well. They also own Future Shop, so no idea what's going to happen with them either. Neither company stocks much Olympus, just a body or 2 and the 40-150 R lens. If Best Buy pulls the pin, they can simply offload their Canadian inventory to Future Shop. Prices and many product lines are identical.
    American companies don't understand the Canadian market. They figure costs and markups will be the same as the US, not realizing the Canadian manufacturers and distributors have to mark up for smaller volumes and higher shipping costs on average because there's only 10% of the American population spread across an even larger country, among other issues.

3. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    There were a lot of Sony stores here in the US, but they all closed up (at least the ones around me) years ago.

As you stated, they were the company brand you wanted in your living room and portable device for many years. I think that they way over price their products though, especially their TV and PC lines. Other manufacturers are providing just as good if not better quality for a lot less cost.

I personally think that Sony is into too many things now. They fall into the "jack of all trades, master of none" category. The last straw for me was back years ago when Konica-Minolta got bought up by Sony. I really liked the Dynax line they had, but went with Nikon instead. Glad I did, as I am in no way pleased with anything that Sony has put out in the camera lines since.

4. hankbaskett

hankbaskett Mu-43 Regular

Aug 21, 2012
    Too bad for their employees, but I've never quite understood the point of those Sony stores. If I want a Sony camera or lens, I'll get one from a camera store. If I want a Sony TV, I'll get one from an electronics store. If I want a Sony phone, I'll get one from a cell carrier. If I want a Sony computer, I'll go to a computer store etc.

5. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    Graham
    They sold off their Vaio computer division in 2014. I think they are feeling the pinch of Chinese competition in several manufacturing sectors.

6. tomO2013

tomO2013 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 28, 2013
    Really? I'm actually the opposite... I find Sony have been one of the more innovative camera manufacturers, particularly over the last few years - whether you own their products or not, they have at least tried some very interesting things both on the camera and lens side of things...

First FF mirrorless camera, first mirrorless interchangable lens full frame camera, first SLT implementation, developing a close working relationship and auto focusing lens line up with Zeiss, 3-axis DSLT image stabilisation (in the a900, a99) and then full frame 5 axis IBIS and IBIS hybrid OIS between camera and lens in A7ii.
    On the glass front they have built out and are building out a respectable collection of FE lenses in a very short time, many of which are of really excellent quality. They've listened to what people want and provided features like focus limiter (FE70-200), (de)clickable aperture ring for new Distagon 35 1.4ZA and have provided OIS in all their Zeiss zooms etc.... I could go on.

Whether you like the rendering of their glass or not and the actual usability of their cameras, it's hard to deny that they are a very innovative manufacturer, in many ways far more so than Canon or Nikon. Of course they have to be as they are the underdog. Ironically I find almost every other mirrorless manufacturer - Olympus, Panasonic, Samsung etc... to be vastly more innovative than Nikon. Necessity being the mother of invention and all that.

• Like Like x 1
  7. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    Is it really that much of an impact. They didn't have that many stores to begin with. They've also closed quite a few stores in the US. They didn't have that many to start with.

8. jo45800

jo45800 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 23, 2013
    Montreal
    I am not surprised at all, I went to their store at the eaton center in Montreal today. Every product they have are overpriced, like every products have launch price! Even bestbuy and others local stores are better in pricing.