1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

'Sony Poised To Release eMount NEX 35mm ƒ1.8 Lens At Photokina' (Rumor)

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by RT_Panther, Aug 6, 2012.

1. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    For those of us with dual systems, this bodes well....:smile:
    For those prospective buyers who are on the fence between NEX & µ4/3, this is another bargaining point for NEX
    The rumored lens is supposed to be smaller than the SEL 50F18...& approximately the same size as the Sigma 30mm
    -> (SR5) New 35mm f/1.8 lens for NEX coming!!! | sonyalpharumors

• Like Like x 1
  2. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    That is good news for NEX users. I wonder how close it will be in performance to the well-reviewed, plastic-fantastic Alpha 35mm DT?

3. drewbot

drewbot Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    Well it's about time!

Now NEX users finally have a native answer to the PL25, or Fuji 35/1.4.

4. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    There are still a few DSLR owners out there that don't want to leave the comfort zone of the APS-C sensor. Based upon the OMD, Pentax, & Nikon output, Sony does make a capable sensor.

So as the Sony juggernaut moves forwards and builds a large native lens database, will more DSLR owners gravitate towards NEX instead of a smaller sensor solution?

5. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    This is a lens that NEX has desperately needed since day 1. Curiously enough, it's not a lens that Canon bothers to make at any sane price point. I shake my head sometimes at the idea that the mirrorless mounts are not the way to go for lens choices.

6. 0dBm

0dBm Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 30, 2011
    Western United States
    It's a step in the right direction. This fast lens and the NEX-7 would make a great combo.

Is the giant that is Sony waking up?

7. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    I'll most likely get this lens to add to my SEL50F18 and SEL55210.

IMHO, I believe the Sony giant is waking up & now they will have 3 fast primes to accompany the smaller 55-210. Add the Sigma lenses to the allure of an APS-C based body and its my opinion that more DSLR owners will be looking at NEX when they hadn't before due to lack of native lenses...

8. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    just yesterday one if my friends asked me if Nex 5n with two kit zooms is any good. she doesn't wanna carry her husband's old nikon dslr w/lenses anymore. I told her that Nex lenses are just as big as dslr with more limited selection so asked her to take a look at om-d with 12-50 zoom + add panny 20mm, will see what she'll decide.

9. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
  10. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    yep, like I said much larger than 14-42 pancake or oly collapsable zoom. those pics don't show the thickness of the lenses nor weight. Oly 40-150, Panny 45-175, Panny 14&20. Oly 45 is much smaller and lighter than Sony 50mm f1.8. Panny 100-300, IBIS in OM-D for video with primes. It doesn't matter if you got 60p, high bitrate, etc. if the video is shaky. I'll take 720p steady cam over shaky 60p mess anytime. Nex is meant to be a great body for MF with better crop and peaking but I still don't look at it seriously as AF beast real camera system or full featured DSLR kit replacement like m43.

11. zapatista

zapatista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Denver, Colorado, USA
    Mike
    The Nex7 is definitely a "full featured" replacement, but they've been slow on the lens development. It makes me wonder if all the engineers from Konica/Minolta are only working on SLT bodies.