Sony-Olympus official, former making ¥50 billion investment, worth 11% of latter

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by strang, Sep 28, 2012.

1. strang

strang Mu-43 Veteran

May 7, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  2. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Sounds like the medical business will be rebranded but the camera section specifically mentions the strength of the Olympus brand - doesn't seem likely they would mess with that. Interesting the exchange of camera tech, could bode well for :43: in the sensor department.

3. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    I don't think they will either. Not initially anyways. But..... they did fully absorb and eliminate the Minolta brand. That was also a strong brand. I think they rethought that and with Ericsson named it Sony Ericsson. Turns out that didn't work out so well so now it's just Sony Mobile.

4. jsusilo

jsusilo Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2012
    Comment from Hiroyuki Sasa, Representative Director and President, Olympus Corporation

“In line with its medium-term vision announced in June 2012, Olympus has been pushing to enhance its financial strength and weighing the possibility of a business and capital tie-up for greater business synergy in the core business domains of medical and imaging. In this regard, we have decided to form a business and capital alliance with Sony, which is strong in image sensors and other image-related technologies. Partnering with Sony will provide great advantage to Olympus and enable the two companies to exchange various complementary competencies. Investment from Sony will help strengthen our financial base. In addition, through this alliance, the strengths of the two companies will merge, certainly making it possible for Olympus to contribute to world medical progress by developing a variety of new medical devices that would not be possible by Olympus alone. In the field of digital cameras, we will seek to achieve collaboration in a manner that further improves the competitiveness of the two companies.”

The purpose of the business and capital alliances is as follows: (1) Medical Business (2) Camera Business, the two companies also aim to enhance their competitiveness, primarily in the area of compact digital cameras, by exploring opportunities for mutually beneficial transactions and collaboration between their respective camera businesses, including the supply of Olympus technologies such as camera lenses and mirror cells to Sony, and the provision of Sony image sensors to Olympus.

Sony-Olympus [Sensor & Lens], Olympus-Panasonic [m43 mount] --> Olympus business model is more open to collaboration which can only be good for us as USER !

5. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Sonypus.

• Like Like x 4
  6. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    Sonylympus! lol

7. jsusilo

jsusilo Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2012
    Solympus makes more sense.

8. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    So how long before Olympus gets absorbed and forgotten? :rolleyes:

9. BAUlicht

BAUlicht New to Mu-43

Sep 18, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Brian
    Not sure I'm a fan of this. I was thinking of switching to Olympus/m43 (from Canon), but I do not like Sony's strategy towards cameras. They make great sensors and have some nice features, but they seem to spam the market with a bunch of products that don't quite get it right for me - quantity not quality approach. They also like getting into proprietary accessories and the like, which I don't like. I hope I'm wrong, because it could be a good match, but I see this going the way of Erickson and Minolta.

10. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Of course the other option was continuation with the same old 12mp sensor just stuck in different bodies.

-Notice how Panasonic never did give Olympus any of their "sacred" 16mp sensors....

11. jsusilo

jsusilo Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2012
    When I think about how fast Apple with its flagship iPhone & iPad, picking up market-share both in the smartphone & tablet segments, without much joint-venture other than small acquisition here and there, its really impressive. Wish I could buy some of Apple share 3-4years ago :) ... The last few years, competitor are facing an uphill battle try to catch-up and compete with Apple, that is just showing us whoever gets the product out first control the market.

I think right now Olympus realizes that they are (not by much) but still leading the interchangeable-mirrorless-system. Olympus is still smaller player and their capital based is limited. From business perspective, I think it makes sense for Olympus to make strategical collaboration with Sony to maintain and more importantly continue to grow their camera-business. It would have taken Olympus / Panasonic a lot longer times, and thus risking their market share with bigger player like Nikon / Canon to catch up.

Whether or not collaboration with Sony works out for Olympus is remain to be seen. But for us as user, I think it gives more reason for more exciting development combining both sensor & lens, the best of both worlds into one! Improvement in Continuous AF and or phase detection AF may just be right down the corner :)

12. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    They didn't have much choice. It wasn't optional on their part. They needed the capital injection to stay in business.

13. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    We've already seen the positive effects of Sony technology on Olympus's latest cameras. Olympus micro four-thirds cameras are more competitive than ever before.

And won't Alpha and NEX owners be thrilled when Zuiko glass eventually begins filling the gaping holes in Sony's lens lineup? Some may believe Sony doesn't need Zuiko; that they already have Carl Zeiss. But there really aren't that many CZ lenses in Sony's lineup. I suspect the Olympus glass may be more affordable as well.

The new alliance is also likely to force Panasonic to up its game in micro four thirds (not that they're so bad now). I see this as a win-win-win for Sony, Olympus and photographers everywhere.

The interesting thing for me is, if I was ever going to get into another camera brand - even before this announcement - it was likely to be Sony (and possibly Fuji) rather than one of the other traditional camera brands.

14. BAUlicht

BAUlicht New to Mu-43

Sep 18, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Brian
    I've thought about m43 and Apple as a comparison at times. Though when I think of a camera company and what Apple was 5-6 years ago, Fuji seems a better fit. They are fully integrated in their own system and focus on what customers are requesting and how the camera is used. Some of the other companies are more scattered and try to spam the market with multiple overlapping options, rather than producing a one or two great cameras. There's only one iPhone.

15. LeoS

LeoS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 6, 2012
    "Completely integrated, proprietary and with the least choice" defines Apple.
    'Focus on what customers are requesting' is completely the opposite of what Apple has done, or what Steve Jobs has envisioned. Just read one of many books about him.

16. jsusilo

jsusilo Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2012
    I'm intrigued by m43 now as I was by Apple several years ago. It's not very often that you get to see a development of a certain product, covering a lot of ground all at the same time in a relatively short period of time. The only bad thing about that is I ended up splurging and bought iPhone & E-M5 myself and is completely surprised in a good way by those two simple yet powerful products. More than anything, perhaps these two product simplified our everyday life [by being small and lightweight], making things more enjoyable and fun, as opposed to hassle and inconveniences for us as consumer.

I do not particularly care whether it'll be Sony, Olympus, or Panasonic that raise the winning flag at the end of this interesting battle. The fact that we as a consumer has a product that we all can enjoy is Marvelous in its own right. Some may decide to go with Olympus [me that is] and others would be happy to continue loyalty with Panasonic [why not?] or build new relationship to Sony, wished Fuji is in there but oh well ... At the end.. I'd love to see more selection of lenses and body that rival FF and we all then be singing the happy song:)

17. BAUlicht

BAUlicht New to Mu-43

Sep 18, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Brian
    I understand the idea of cross platform and integration with other companies and how it could help the consumer. And Apple is very stubborn at times, I get it. But think of the phone you had before the iPhone came out - Apple did give the consumer a way better product and continue to IMHO. Compare the iPhone to an Android phone and tell me that the user experience is better with an Android - hard to do the majority of the time. It may have more bells and whistles, but doesn't work as smoothly or cohesively as the iPhone. There are advantages to controlling your eco-system that an open platform is hard to achieve. That's the point I was making in regard to Fuji or Oly/Pan in comparison to Apple.

18. jsusilo

jsusilo Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2012
    Good Point! Companies need to consider dis-/advantages when merging or collaborating with their otherwise competitor which Sony-Olympus are in mirrorless. That said, sensor is such a critical component of any digital cameras, Olympus most-likely forced to be doing the deal with Sony anyway, which happen to be mutually beneficial with Sony getting access to Zuiko lenses. Someone once said, if you cant beat it then embrace it, hope that is the case for both Sony & Olympus, which may be beneficial to Panasonic as well who knows ... exciting times ahead in m43.

19. BAUlicht

BAUlicht New to Mu-43

Sep 18, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Brian
    It will be interesting to see how this all plays out. I think if Sony, Oly, and Pan all worked together, you could have a great system with multiple parties all feeding into it. I'm just not sure with multiple company conflicts it will be smoothly done and could end up being a "sum of their parts is less than the whole" - I hope not. These three companies are innovating more than Canikon and could produce some great stuff. I only wish Fuji would be a part of it too. They are doing some great things right now. Should be interesting to see how it all plays out. The real question is, what system do I go with...?