1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Sony Nex5r or Olympus epl5

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by woody112704, Dec 13, 2012.

1. woody112704

woody112704 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 13, 2012
    Iowa
    Jared
    I'm currently looking into getting either the nex5 or epl5. I don't have any lenses for either so looking at starting out with one, which would be the best choice.

Does the focusing with the sigma or other brand lenses have as fast as focusing with the epl5? I think I read that if you didn't have an emount sony lens it won't focus as fast with the nex5r.

Love to hear your opinions.

2. zapatista

zapatista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Denver, Colorado, USA
    Mike
    The Sigmas (19mm & 30mm) focused plenty fast on a Nex 5-N I used to own. Faster than the 20mm with an OM-D (which is still plenty fast AF for me).

• Like Like x 1
  3. mkee

mkee Mu-43 Regular

May 9, 2012
    Long Beach CA
    Biggest differences for me (not necessarily for others) would be a choice between glass vs sensor size (i.e. depth of field). Both cameras can capture great images just depends on how much you feel like investing.

• Like Like x 1
  4. woody112704

Dec 13, 2012
    Iowa
    Jared
    Not factoring the kit packages into the investment, olympus would probably be the cheaper way to go right? Also how long do you figure it will take for sony to catch up with the olympus lens market?

5. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    The sensor performance of the two is basically identical. The Sony will get better depth of field control, better body features/apps/etc. Video is much better on the NEX. The sensor size is also better for adapted film lenses. The E-PL5 has access to much better native lenses and is a dramatically faster camera in all respects. For me personally, the NEX-5 is a tough sell.
    They're most likely two years out from the current state of m4/3 lenses.

• Like Like x 1
  6. woody112704

Dec 13, 2012
    Iowa
    Jared
    Thank you for your guys input, I went with the epl5. Any suggestions for decent priced lenses I should get?

7. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    The Pana 20mm is a perennial favorite, as is the Oly 45mm. The Pana 25mm is popular as a strict normal lens, and the 14mm is great if you like wide angle. Apparently the Oly 60mm and 75mm are stellar, and the Sigma 19 and 30 are great for their price.

Hard to go wrong, actually.

• Like Like x 1
  8. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    What type of subjects to you intend to shoot most?

9. woody112704

Dec 13, 2012
    Iowa
    Jared
    I'm pretty much just starting out, but mostly landscape and buildings. I also enjoy taking pictures of my dogs and I'll be taking more pictures of my 2 nieces. I want to try some street photography as well.

I think for my first one I'll probably go for one of the Sigmas since they are fairly cheap. From the pictures on here and that I've seen on Flickr I think I'm more leaning toward the 30mm.

Also should I get a ND filter and Polarizer or are they not too important at the moment?

10. ttan98

ttan98 Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 5, 2012
    melbourne
    Hi,
    I own an EPM1 and Nex 3, I was looking for a another camera to upgrade to handle low light conditions. My choice is between EPM2 or Nex F3. I picked F3 for these reasons(these features are not found in EPM2), they are :
    1. Built-in Panoramic features
    2. Tilted screen
    3. Anti blurring, i.e. built-in HDR
    4. pop up flash, very convenient in some situations
    5. cheaper, by at least $50
    6. peak focusing
    6. a few more minor ones

even though EPM2 has better Jpeg engine I was able to tune the Nex Jpeg to be close to EPM2. Also EPM2 has better lens selections, the Nex kit lens is very good for my purpose and awaiting the next nex premium G zoom coming out 1st half nex.

In summary I chose Nex F3 for superior features I used on a regular basis. I am happy with my choice. F3 is an excellent camera its capabilities and features come very close to 5n, it is very unrated camera at the same time cheap.

11. ttan98

ttan98 Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 5, 2012
    melbourne
    Hi,

BTW the Nex 5n is selling at a heavily discounted price where I live. I suggest you look at this model, it is slightly better than F3. I recommend it highly. Also I own a 5n as well.

12. Andwise

Andwise Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 26, 2012
    london
    i would recommend you to use sony digital camera as it is just awesome in its depth and clarity with some amazing bright features.....

13. asterinex

asterinex Mu-43 Regular

Nov 14, 2012
    I have had the NEX 5n for two weeks and swapped it for the E-PL5. I don't regret it for a moment. The jpgs and rawcolors of the NEX were for me plain horrible. Every single picture had to be corrected in lightroom.
    The output of the E-PL5 is so good that hardly anything needs to be done.
    Here my pros on the E-PL5
    * better lenses(kitlens)
    * better ooc pictures(Oly colors)
    * faster AF
    * much nicer looking

14. woody112704

Dec 13, 2012
    Iowa
    Jared
    Yea I also went for the epl-5, have only gotten to play with it for a little bit but so far I'm extremely impressed with the pictures and I love how quick it takes a picture when using the touch screen (if I so choose). The only thing I wish it had was the OMDs 5 axis IBIS, that thing sounds ridiculous!