1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Sony NEX

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by josl, Jun 30, 2010.

1. josl

josl New to Mu-43

Jun 30, 2010
    I need your help. I was looking at the Sony NEX camera systems and cany decide, does anyone here have the camera or know about it ?

Thanks

2. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    Hi Josl, this is a forum for Micro 4/3 cameras, not the Sony NEX system. Perhaps we can convince you that an Olympus or Panasonic Micro 4/3 camera is more to your liking. How about some background? Are you new to photography? Upgrading from a point and shoot or prosumer camera? Do you have any specific areas of interest in photography? (i.e. street shooting, landscapes, portraits, macro).

I have briefly tried out a sony NEX and it wasn't very photographer-oriented. If you know your way around a camera (shutter, aperture, f stops, iso, exposure, that sort of thing) and like to make alot of adjustments as you go, the Sony camera will be a disapointment (95% of its' function is entirely menu driven, aside from really clicking the shutter and making menu changes with buttons). If on the other hand you are used to letting the camera tell you what to do the NEX might be a good fit...BUT, if you are used to the camera making the adjustments AND would like to learn how to do them yourself eventually, you might be more interested in Olympus' E-PL1, which has both new user-friendly modes, as well as advanced settings for more experienced users.

So, welcome, and give us something to work with please!

3. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

I think perhaps that josi posted here because I suggested that this forum was the place to compare cameras. I'll move this thread into Other Systems, and hope that josi will consider asking some questions about some of the micro four thirds cameras, such as the GF1, G2, G10, E-P1, E-P2, E-PL1 choices on This or That.:smile:

P.S. josi, you might find this thread helpful https://www.mu-43.com/f76/sony-nex-3387/

4. LisaO

LisaO Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 18, 2010
    New York Metro Area
    Lisa
    I think the NEX-3 has only been out a week or so and the NEX-5 has yet to be released at least in the states it hasn't. I should have a NEX-5 soon after it is released (in about a week to 10 days according to Sony) but I expect it to be a point and shoot with a good lens and sensor not an easily adjustable camera.

5. josl

josl New to Mu-43

Jun 30, 2010
    Thanks BBW for the link

6. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    Are you getting the 16mm? That is definitely an intriguing match to the body, quite compact. I tried out an nex3 briefly in-store last week (with the kit zoom) and was rather unimpressed. It is menu-driven to the extreme. It will be an intriguing experiment for sony - somewhat of a match up against the e-pl1.

7. LisaO

LisaO Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 18, 2010
    New York Metro Area
    Lisa
    Yes 16mm, it seemed to make the most sense.

8. ChristopheG

ChristopheG Mu-43 Regular

Jun 4, 2010
    Too good and informative post, just used 16mm, useful source.

9. LisaO

LisaO Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 18, 2010
    New York Metro Area
    Lisa
    Sony just posted a firmware update for the NEX cameras at Sony Europe. I haven't been using mine that much. I get some nice images but it feels so point & shooty.

10. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I just purchased and then returned the NEX5. I don't see that it gives a tremendous improvement over m43.

Things I like better than my EP1: tilt LCD, ISO1600, sweep panorama

Things that people say are bad about NEX, but I didn't mind: controls and menus (clearer than my Oly!)

Things that are talked up about NEX, but I wasn't impressed with: flash (very poor -- too concentrated, and a pain to take on/off), build quality (I think my EP1 was as good or better than NEX), AF Speed (was faster than my EP1 kit, but not really much faster than my 14-150 or 20/1.7)

Reasons for returning: body is too small for my hands/ergonomics, lens selection, no hot shoe connection for an OVF with legacy lenses (though you can make one yourself, if needed)

Killer: no IBIS

11. shoturtle

shoturtle  

Oct 15, 2010
    actually the 2 lenses are really soft also especially wide open.

12. deirdre

deirdre Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 9, 2010
    There will be a PINK one!

10x1012iub24efsdnkngpink.jpg

(I have a pink GF1)

13. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer

How come it's a 16mm 2.8 and Panasonic can make a 20mm at 1.7? I would have thought they could do better than that.

14. shoturtle

shoturtle  

Oct 15, 2010
    the lens would be much bigger if it was a 16mm 1.8 for the larger sensor. And kinda defeat the purpose of the compact size which the nex is targeted at. But their 18-55 with the build in IS system did add some size to the lens. So that kinda sends a mix message about being compact. Also both the 16 and 18-55 are not that great, you need to stop down to get it sharp. What you gain in iso stops over the epl-1 with the aps-c sensor, you give it right back with having to stop down if you want sharpness.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Christilou

Christilou Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 25, 2010
    Camberley, Surrey
    Nex 5

I'm using the NEX and quite happy with it. It's DR definitely has the edge on the micro 43rds. There are a few pics on my flickr page DSC00271.jpg | Flickr - Photo Sharing! where you will see that I set my ISO to 6400 in error! I was still able to get quite usable photos. I was seated at the bull ring in the top third of the stadium and used the 18 - 55 kit lens.

16. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Thanks shoturtle. I guess if I connected two and two together compared to my 17-55 2.8, I can now see why it would have to be large. The 17-55mm is huge.

17. shoturtle

shoturtle  

Oct 15, 2010
    The sony aps-c sensors are excellent. That is why pentax and nikon uses them. And pentax has really push the iso performance up a notch with it. And it does have very good DR. If they had held up the nex launch when they first discovered from their tester about the softness with the 16 and 18-55 and fixed them better. I would have brought it. The epl-1 kit lens at f4 is sharp, while with the nex 18-55 to get sharpness, you need to shot at least at 6.3.

18. Christilou

Feb 25, 2010
    Camberley, Surrey
    I haven't found these two lenses to be as bad as I had heard. I've just ordered a Contax G 90 and an adapter to try as these seem to get great reviews :smile:

19. shoturtle

shoturtle  

Oct 15, 2010
    It not bad bad, but for me who's key thing with my photos are sharpness. It was something I key on right away. But the nex 18-200 looks to be a excellent lens. I've seen some samples with it on a nex 5 and they are much sharper the the 2 kit lens wide open. The kit lens is not as sharp as the dslr counterparts. Especially the 18-55, the alpha mount SAM was actually better the the E-mount one in sharpness.

20. Christilou

Feb 25, 2010
    Camberley, Surrey
    I believe from what I have read on the forums, that there seems to be a bit of a quality control issue from Sony. Some people have great, sharp lenses whilst others do not. I guess this happens a lot. I had a really bad Panasonic 45 - 200 mm lens that I exchanged for a sharp one!